Echelon Seaport | 133-135 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Seaport Parcels M1-M2 | Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Also, one of the roads looks like a highway, and even has a fence running along the median. Don't like that at all.

The Seaport was designed to reject every urban planning concept that made Boston Boston. The Seaport is the sour aftertaste of West End urban renewal. Same mistakes, only this time they started with a truly blank canvas.

Steve Adams at Banker & Tradesman said it was under agreement to "a foreign investment group".

Developer Boston Global Investors (BGI) will retain a 5 percent stake in the properties, while its partner Morgan Stanley is selling its ownership interest, Boston Global Investors CEO John Hynes III said.

http://the103advantage.com/two-seaport-square-parcels-put-under-agreement/

The Seaport was designed to reject every urban planning concept that made Boston Boston. The Seaport is the sour aftertaste of West End urban renewal. Same mistakes, only this time they started with a truly blank canvas.

This is basically correct in my mind with the added addition that it was designed around being a destination spot for people with lots of money (whether it be residents, tourists or business/convention-goers).

The Seaport was not designed for typical Bostonians.

Its waterfront property with skyline views, I wouldnt expect to be able to afford to live here. What I do expect is retail, public parks, art, dining, and interesting architecture. I believe were slowly but steadily getting there. Being a commoner Ill be glad to sip on some coffee in the new courtyard Here before strolling over to the waterfront and taking in the view from those new steps at the pier 4 water line.

Its waterfront property with skyline views, I wouldnt expect to be able to afford to live here. What I do expect is retail, public parks, art, dining, and interesting architecture. I believe were slowly but steadily getting there. Being a commoner Ill be glad to sip on some coffee in the new courtyard Here before strolling over to the waterfront and taking in the view from those new steps at the pier 4 water line.

Oh I don't disagree. But unlike say the Back Bay or South End where I think there is a good mix of high end and mid-tier locations the Seaport seems to only be filled with posh establishments for people with deep pockets.

That is true but its still a work in progress. Theres still a lot of room to work with and i feel like when the waterfront fills up and it moves more inland there will be more of the mid tier developments. Your not going to be charging top rents if the view out the window is the side of the convention center, an industrial area, or some southie apartments compared to the harbor/skyline.Only time will tell, either way I feel like this development may be a changing force on development moving forward regarding design and quality of materials/public space.

Being a commoner Ill be glad to sip on some coffee in the new courtyard Here before strolling over to the waterfront and taking in the view from those new steps at the pier 4 water line.

Only time will tell, either way I feel like this development may be a changing force on development moving forward regarding design and quality of materials/public space.

But that's the thing - the proposed layout of this block is conceding that the quality 'public space' in the seaport will be privately owned - that is to say, no more public than is the main corridor at the Burlington Mall. That's not a sidewalk running through the middle of the block, friends...

This plan emphatically says, "we have no faith in congress st. or seaport boulevard ever being anything but highways."

Given that expectation, this is a great plan. But it doesn't redeem the Seaport - it condemns it.

The Seaport is a burbclave.

**Edit: Except the Massport and MCCA parcels...those are more accurately described as FOQNEs**

Csth, well said. I understand how traffic engineers and first-in developers can hold sway when a place-in-the-making is nothing more than parking lots and big ideas. But as plans move forward and become real civic leadership needs to step in and safe guard the vision or you end up with a Seaport.

Yes, most cities would kill for a Seaport and call it a real neighborhood. In the end it will likely be useful and serve a need, more corporate than public, unfortunately. But we're Boston and we should have done this better. Way better.

I can only hope the Seaport serves as guidance for how not to build a new neighborhood once the Allston train yard and maybe Widett get developed.

Ideally it would, but there's a pervasive and long-standing mentality of "What made Boston Boston worked once upon a time but we can never do that again. This cookie cutter approach that has been used countless times to create soulless neighborhoods elsewhere will work better."

People actively acknowledge we have a unique city and promptly turn around and attempt to undermine that.

The only thing worse than the fact we could do so much better is the fact we don't even try.

Csth, well said. I understand how traffic engineers and first-in developers can hold sway when a place-in-the-making is nothing more than parking lots and big ideas. But as plans move forward and become real civic leadership needs to step in and safe guard the vision or you end up with a Seaport.

Yes, most cities would kill for a Seaport and call it a real neighborhood. In the end it will likely be useful and serve a need, more corporate than public, unfortunately. But we're Boston and we should have done this better. Way better.

Other cities have done much better (not in the US). I will repeat my reference to HafenCity in Hamburg -- an almost direct parallel to the Seaport district; but much better executed.

http://www.hafencity.com/en/concepts/the-foundation-of-hafencity-the-masterplan.html

Jeff, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Other cities have done much better (not in the US). I will repeat my reference to HafenCity in Hamburg -- an almost direct parallel to the Seaport district; but much better executed.

http://www.hafencity.com/en/concepts/the-foundation-of-hafencity-the-masterplan.html

I'd throw out theNordhavn development in Copenhagen as another good example. It's also repurposing an old seaport for residential/commercial use. My favorite part is that they're building an extension of the Copenhagen Metro through the district to coincide with development. The bonds for the project will, in part, be backed by a district-specific "transit tax" on residences - I know F-Line has talked in the past about the missed opportunity in leveraging the enormous sums of money currently plowed into the Seaport by private developers and the BCEC for transit improvements.

Actually, there's another project in Copenhagen that's also receiving a similar make-over: Sydhavnen/Sluseholmen, which is similarly receiving a new Metro branch to activate what used to be a forlorn, heavily industrial area of Copenhagen. Here's a pic of what's already been built on one of the former lock sites (this is less than 10 years old by the way, Copenhagen's development policy is essentially "what are the Dutch doing? Let's do that too. It's honestly been that way since the 1600s when the Danish King Christian IV decided he wanted to make Copenhagen the "Protestant Rome" and decided to rebuild the city in the style of Amsterdam. He went bankrupt pretty quick, and those fucking Swedes stole a bunch of land, but the canals he built are now some of the most iconic parts of the city):
Sluseholmen.jpg

And here's a video of the planned the full-build in Nordhavn (which was also just a freeport with no residential components prior to this project, though it sits close to one of Copenhagen's nicer inner-core neighborhoods):

watch

You can see the trend here: development acting in concert with properly-scaled transit.

EDIT: They've started to build out the residential components already, those silos you can see in the video are currently under construction. I'll be in Copenhagen in October - maybe I can grab some more photos if there's interest for a comparison.

I'd throw out theNordhavn development in Copenhagen as another good example. It's also repurposing an old seaport for residential/commercial use. My favorite part is that they're building an extension of the Copenhagen Metro through the district to coincide with development. The bonds for the project will, in part, be backed by a district-specific "transit tax" on
EDIT: They've started to build out the residential components already, those silos you can see in the video are currently under construction. I'll be in Copenhagen in October - maybe I can grab some more photos if there's interest for a comparison.

I definitely think the current Nordic style is the one our new stuff moist closely resembles and is the one to most emulate for the future of the city. People say classic Boston has a unique style that can no longer be replicated, but aside from the colonial, everything after is what? A clear adaption of other styles and new movements. English, French in the 19th century. Then it was an early adopter of International Style, then post-mod, and then the aughts were really dominated by a bland contemporary.

But now with so much development being on the water, master planning for the future should really go heavy on Scandinavian. And that would really help create a new niche for the city's style like the Beacon Hill and Back Bay of old.

This project with it's 1000+ residences and thousands of square feet of retail along with One Seaport Square with it's 800+ residences and tons of retail are awesome anchors for the new Seaport being built out! Both are beautifully attractive developments and I, for one, look forward to their completion!

This project with it's 1000+ residences and thousands of square feet of retail along with One Seaport Square with it's 800+ residences and tons of retail are awesome anchors for the new Seaport being built out! Both are beautifully attractive developments and I, for one, look forward to their completion!

I definitely share your enthusiasm but what happens when the city/state just keeps saying that we can't afford to build / maintain our mass transit? Is the city headed for the #1 spot in USA for worst traffic?

I definitely share your enthusiasm but what happens when the city/state just keeps saying that we can't afford to build / maintain our mass transit? Is the city headed for the #1 spot in USA for worst traffic?

Your question is better directed towards the Governor and Legislature to answer. I do know that One Seaport Square is quite walkable from South Station and that both projects are close to the Silver Line. That alone is much more than what we have here in Atlanta.

are they ever going to build a grocery store down there?

^ possible grocery store planned for parcel M1 ... it's mentioned in the article in post 22.

Back