Echelon Seaport | 133-135 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Seaport Parcels M1-M2 | Seaport Sq. | Seaport

I just meant that it didn't look like a traditional ground-breaking ceremony...

There was no property brand name/logo, no marketing posters/graphics, most importantly - no Mayor Walsh. The Taiwanese/Chinese writing on the backdrop wasn't artistic or stylistic, it was just characters on a backdrop.

My guess is that it was some kind of reception for investors.

Right now, the tent is gone but there are definitely workers busy on the southwest corner where there is heavy equipment.

My guess is that they punted on the official big 'ground-breaking ceremony' until they could a communications strategy together. But ground has broken. Yay!

For those curious about a work schedule, the project's (multiple) filings with the FAA pin the start date as November 1st.

Can't link right now (phone) but it's there.

for the scoreboard.... top of the buildings is about 260' ??

Yup 260 feet is correct

I just meant that it didn't look like a traditional ground-breaking ceremony...

There was no property brand name/logo, no marketing posters/graphics, most importantly - no Mayor Walsh. The Taiwanese/Chinese writing on the backdrop wasn't artistic or stylistic, it was just characters on a backdrop.

My guess is that it was some kind of reception for investors.

Right now, the tent is gone but there are definitely workers busy on the southwest corner where there is heavy equipment.

My guess is that they punted on the official big 'ground-breaking ceremony' until they could a communications strategy together. But ground has broken. Yay!

Mike -- there seems to be new ground breaking technology -- not to be confused with Ground Breaking New Technology -- we are all about the latter

But now suffolk Construction has at least locally pioneered the former -- Virtual Ground Breaking

‘Virtual’ groundbreaking for a real building
By Tim Logan GLOBE STAFF SEPTEMBER 29, 2016

Executives at Suffolk Construction have been to their share of groundbreakings, with all of the souvenir shovels, helmets, and snapshots of men in suits behind mounds of dirt to prove it.

So for the groundbreaking of Suffolk’s own headquarters expansion Thursday, the executives decided to try something a little different: A “virtual groundbreaking.”

Instead of actual shovels, Suffolk CEO John Fish, Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh, and others will don headsets and hoist virtual dirt with a virtual shovel. And with each simulated scoop, another chunk of the new wing of Suffolk’s headquarters on Allerton Stret in Roxbury will appear on-screen, from foundation to framing to floors to finishes.

The change of pace is a chance to show off Suffolk’s new “innovation lab,” which is working on new ways to help the construction giant manage big projects, a spokesman said. And unlike at most real-world groundbreakings, no one will even get dirt on their shoes.

Tim Logan can be reached at tim.logan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @bytimlogan.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...al-building/h6dCuq9fYIBGyj2rQUN0dK/story.html

So maybe the M1-M2 was virtual with participants scattered around the globe

This and 121 seaport will be the defining moment when the gap is filled in. After that its cohesive and you add density.

Found some renders that are more detailed than before.

This was split into two images before.

Seaport-Square-Autumn-Lane.jpg

Some small details changed including the trees

Seaport-Square-harbor-square.jpg

This perspective was a drawn render previously

Seaport-Square-Pier-4-Boulevard.jpg

via: wickedlocal boston homes

I doubt we'll ever see the level of foot traffic those pictures are envisioning here, but really this parcel is absolutely crucial to the success of the Seaport so I hope it turns out well.

121 seaport helps this street but 101 has the garage doors on this street killing a part of the street life. They had to go somewhere so it is what it is. I think a lot will depend on how much retail they put on this street from the seaport square residential towers, which thankfully so far in the placeholders they show a ton of. The courtyard in this project and the waterfront parts of pier 4 are going to be huge pieces in the success of the area. Also the plot next to 1 seaport square looks like an extension of the project in the placeholders and if they follow through with that it will make that area even more of the core of the seaport.

In hindsight, and considering the seaport is built on top of giant excavacated bathtubs it looks like a huge mistake to not have plumbed in some kind of service network for supply trucks.

The seaport might actually become the most heavy outdoor retail neighborhood in Boston when its done. Pretty much every single building that has been built or approved has retail in the base and it doesn't look like its stopping any time soon. If you think of the other retail heavy areas of the city, one street over from Newbury is brownstones, downtown has many offices with just lobbies in the base, in copley the majority of retail is inside, dtx is a mix as well... Time will tell.

The seaport might actually become the most heavy outdoor retail neighborhood in Boston when its done. Pretty much every single building that has been built or approved has retail in the base and it doesn't look like its stopping any time soon. If you think of the other retail heavy areas of the city, one street over from Newbury is brownstones, downtown has many offices with just lobbies in the base, in copley the majority of retail is inside, dtx is a mix as well... Time will tell.

The question will be is there really enough demand for outdoor retail in Boston to fill up all these streets and squares. Our climate is pretty inhospitable about 5 months out of the year!

(You will notice the renderings NEVER show the outdoor scene in the winter!)

The question will be is there really enough demand for outdoor retail in Boston to fill up all these streets and squares. Our climate is pretty inhospitable about 5 months out of the year!

(You will notice the renderings NEVER show the outdoor scene in the winter!)

I have my doubts too. A different part of the city for sure, but I remember when Millennium built the Ritz Towers and in addition to the movie theater, restaurant and health club, Millennium promised a ton of retail at the store fronts lining both sides of Avery Street. I think one high end furniture store went in and no other retail. It's been a few months since I have been over there but I don't think any of that retail on Avery was filled and its been a decade and a half at least since the project was completed.

The rest of the seaport is having no problem filling retail spaces, and some of them are the companies first locations in Boston. Until I see a slowdown theres no reason to believe otherwise. The seaport is having no trouble filling in retail whatsoever. When the ritz was built DTX was still the warzone. Only within the last couple years has it become a decent location. The seaport is in very high demand right now.

The difference is that in the seaport, two doors over from Starbucks is a giant garage door for trucks.

In hindsight, and considering the seaport is built on top of giant excavacated bathtubs it looks like a huge mistake to not have plumbed in some kind of service network for supply trucks.

Historically that role has been played by alleys.

I like the Aston Martin DB9 in the lower left.

Hah! One has to differentiate between a Maserati neighborhood (the Back Bay), and the the new cool of an Aston Martin crowd in the Seaport.

I have my doubts too. A different part of the city for sure, but I remember when Millennium built the Ritz Towers and in addition to the movie theater, restaurant and health club, Millennium promised a ton of retail at the store fronts lining both sides of Avery Street. I think one high end furniture store went in and no other retail. It's been a few months since I have been over there but I don't think any of that retail on Avery was filled and its been a decade and a half at least since the project was completed.

The people in the Ritz Towers blocked some of the planned retail (restaurants) as too noisy.

Back