Eli Lilly IGM | 15 Necco Street | Fort Point

is it just me or do those renderings look like what people in the 1950s thought might go there in the 1990s.

According to B&T, this now involves both Harvard and MIT. They also have a render from the other side:

1574703859845.png

BBJ is talking about the joint institute being founded by Harvard, MIT, GE, Fujifilm Diosynth Biotech... with Alexandria Real Estate -- but BBJ is not naming the location!

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...-on-unique.html?iana=hpmvp_bost_news_headline
An article in the Globe's STAT newsletter said the building should open in 2021: "......which could be up and running as early as 2021", so that would likely be a building in the pipeline, or which will become available. It seems this is a first-in-the-world building.

I want to see the retail plan here, having the channel side activated is going to be key, west/south exposure on the water is not something we see everyday.

Also, why does this building have fins on the outboard side only when Related Beal is already hard at work on a building that would cover that facade?
theres a park between the 2 buildings

bold, massive & girthy in the finest BOSTON tradition--
crazy, hideous, land hogging ballast.
PRE-APPROVED.

Last edited:

Come for the detailed renderings, stay for the strange shirtless man alone on a balcony.

Also, why does this building have fins on the outboard side only when Related Beal is already hard at work on a building that would cover that facade?
Equilibria -- the development next door is not even hinted-at in these renders
Worse there is some sort of fiction be propagated about an 100 acre park and the defunct 100 Acre Plan - -6 of those acres have been sold and Related-Beal with partners is already proposing 1M + sq ft of mixed development on that neighboring land

The public meeting:

The good:

Some said they were not thrilled to swap promised civic space like the museum for the Channel-side restaurant that National Development has in mind. Several speakers noted that Fort Point and the neighboring Seaport still lack a library, police and fire stations, or much of anything in the way of open community space. This project, they said, could be an opportunity to change that.

That's a great point. The first floor here would be a great place for civic functions.

The bad:

The group’s concern — echoed by several of roughly 150 Fort Point residents at the meeting — is that the current proposal calls for a building that is too big, too boxy, and too unlike the historic brick designs of the old Boston Wharf Co. buildings around it.

Too big!? You live in f-ing downtown. The buildings will be f-ing big. It's a shame that the FAA prevents 1,500 feet at a site like this in a major city.

This mishmash of styles tries too hard to be both trendy and different, and the result is it looks cheap and dated. Elkus Manfredi has done some fine work (the New Balance HQ; 2 Boylston Place) as well as some real duds in my eyes (Warrior Ice Arena next door to New Balance; Aloft in the Seaport), and the above project falls in the latter category.

This is Boston. As the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west, Nimby's gonna Nimby!

Last edited:
Here's the presentation the neighbors saw. I made fun of them, but I get it. The GE headquarters looks all classy and modest, and then there's this giant Kendall thing next door.

I see the "outline" juxtaposition on page 11 of the PDF. However, it was a mistake to not show the full original proposal as a comparison before the revised proposal. This building is actually SHORTER than the originally proposed GE Headquarters. They did not do themselves any favors by leaving out the side-by-side comparisons.

Perfect place for a whacky building design. Most people only see the Channel from a distance as they traverse the bridges. With a little design tweaking by E-Manfredi, it could be a welcome break from the brick. Let's see what goes up as Gillette sells off parcels; might blend in with this quite well.

p. 12 of the presentation has the outline of a building that would be built by Related Beal, and which is between Wormwood St extended, and Binford St., and which would mask mask most of this building from most of the traveled directions. All the more reason for Elkus to cut back on to the quirky 'cuteness' which is anything but.

I see the "outline" juxtaposition on page 11 of the PDF. However, it was a mistake to not show the full original proposal as a comparison before the revised proposal. This building is actually SHORTER than the originally proposed GE Headquarters. They did not do themselves any favors by leaving out the side-by-side comparisons.

Excellent points. But i would only substitute "approved project" in boldface.
There's no legitimate argument to be slaves to contextual religious dogma every time everywhere.
i can't see why they can't argue, 'we can go back and build the original approved project,' in any case.

Back