Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downtown

Yeah, but can your CNC machine do hot rivets?

Who does that anymore? If you want the aesthetic of rivits ...you cnc a little button ... or you glue them on.

cca

Who does that anymore? If you want the aesthetic of rivits ...you cnc a little button ... or you glue them on.

cca

As I recall, they were required to use hot rivets in the Longfellow Bridge reconstruction... but that was (hopefully) a one-and-done occasion.

I wonder if this will be finished by September 1st.

If they don't, I think they'll have a very seriously complicated, messy problem and potential public relations debacle on their hands. Look how their 12 Hemenway project is described:

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/emerson-college-12-hemenway-street

"The proposed project consists of temporarily leasing 12 Hemenway Street from fall 2017 to spring 2019 for approximately 115 student due to the closing of Emerson College's Little Building dormitory for renovations."

So, if Emerson fails to vacate 12 Hemenway in order to get those kids back to 80 Boylston--because 80 Boylston is delayed past when students should be moving into it--then what happens?

1.) The BPDA is pretty pissed off at them, right? Would they attempt to penalize Emerson somehow for breaking their promise re: 12 Hemenway? (Does BPDA have that sanctioning power?)
2.) The Fenway community groups who came to terms with them on the understanding they'd be out, as advertised, before the start of fall 2019 semester, will be ballistic, no?
3.) Serious new logistical and unanticipated expense-related questions suddenly blow up...

If they don't, I think they'll have a very seriously complicated, messy problem and potential public relations debacle on their hands. Look how their 12 Hemenway project is described:

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/emerson-college-12-hemenway-street

"The proposed project consists of temporarily leasing 12 Hemenway Street from fall 2017 to spring 2019 for approximately 115 student due to the closing of Emerson College's Little Building dormitory for renovations."

So, if Emerson fails to vacate 12 Hemenway in order to get those kids back to 80 Boylston--because 80 Boylston is delayed past when students should be moving into it--then what happens?

1.) The BPDA is pretty pissed off at them, right? Would they attempt to penalize Emerson somehow for breaking their promise re: 12 Hemenway? (Does BPDA have that sanctioning power?)
2.) The Fenway community groups who came to terms with them on the understanding they'd be out, as advertised, before the start of fall 2019 semester, will be ballistic, no?
3.) Serious new logistical and unanticipated expense-related questions suddenly blow up...
This question was asked back in this thread but not answered. Did Emerson realize when this project began that they would end up demolishing and rebuilding half the building above the second floor? That would certainly push the completion date back, which Emerson should have communicated to the city.

You cannot see them in BeeLine's great photos, but the multi-pane windows going in along Tremont Street, lowest level, are really attractive. Sorry, no pic!.

video.mjpg

Was looking back in the thread and found this live webcam. :)

Magnificent. Just magnificent.

Thank you, Emerson.

I think it's great, but does anyone know whether the color on the bay/oriel windows is a primer or final? I've never liked it and I'd love to see them come back with something in the charcoal range.

Back