Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downtown

09b809ad2cc38f774142faedf4bf730433d43f0c5b9772cce50f6347d8be390b.jpg

Scaffolding is now down, several years later.

I've lived in Boston for 8 years and I don't think I can remember a time when it wasn't there. I'm excited to take in the entire building for the first time.

I've lived in Boston for 8 years and I don't think I can remember a time when it wasn't there. I'm excited to take in the entire building for the first time.

That's been my sentiment too, while waiting for it to finish-up. In addition to seeing the building, just being able to walk the sidewalk without scaffolding will be nice. Is the DD coming back?

I walk past this every weekday and am pleased the restoration is nearly complete. It's also nice to have the sidewalks on Boylston and Tremont Street back. That said, I've had a burning wonder about whether Emerson or the City has a plan to permanently road diet Boylston or Tremont Streets now that the scaffolding is down. From my observation, vehicular traffic on these streets still hummed along (by Boston standards, anyway), but more importantly I've noticed an almost equal ratio of cars to the number of people on bikes, e-bikes, one wheels, e-skateboards, and e-scooters. There's no bike lane/protected space for micromobility users here, and I think there's an opportunity for the City and College to fix that

I walk past this every weekday and am pleased the restoration is nearly complete. It's also nice to have the sidewalks on Boylston and Tremont Street back. That said, I've had a burning wonder about whether Emerson or the City has a plan to permanently road diet Boylston or Tremont Streets now that the scaffolding is down. From my observation, vehicular traffic on these streets still hummed along (by Boston standards, anyway), but more importantly I've noticed an almost equal ratio of cars to the number of people on bikes, e-bikes, one wheels, e-skateboards, and e-scooters. There's no bike lane/protected space for micromobility users here, and I think there's an opportunity for the City and College to fix that

Now that the rehab is done, the whole clusterfuck of roads around the Garden and Common should be redesigned.

Will the building be at least partially occupied in time for the fall semester?

Wasnt the plan to widen the sidewalk around the Little Building once it was done?!

Unless BTD has an updated plan for this section of Boylston & Tremont Streets, I'm still very concerned as the rendering clearly omits a safe facility for micromobility users here. It's definitely an improvement for the public realm of people walking, but falls short for people on bikes, e-bikes, bike share, e-scooters, skateboards, electric skateboards, and one-wheels that frequent this part of the city. And it's not a laughing matter.

The mid-block crosswalk is appreciated.

The fact that they are not taking this opportunity to put protected bike lanes here is practically criminal. I personally think they should just turn the westbound lane into a two-way bike lane. It only exists for that one block anyway. Car traffic can just go around the block and use Stuart St.

The fact that they are not taking this opportunity to put protected bike lanes here is practically criminal. I personally think they should just turn the westbound lane into a two-way bike lane. It only exists for that one block anyway. Car traffic can just go around the block and use Stuart St.

Don't you see the sharrows?? How greedy can you get??

Not sure if this one is offically completed, but a lot of students were moving in Saturday.

I'm going park this here, since the Little Building is pictured with the article:

The plan is for Emerson to jack up its endowment from $162M to $202M and inherit $10M of property in Vermont, in part to increase its bond rating for future (and refinanced past) construction projects.

Back