Exchange South End ( Boston Flower Exchange) | Albany Street | South End

If only we had a "What's Going on With Project X?" thread. Oh right, we do! I know you also know that snd know where it is too because you frequently post in it asking for updates on projects.

OK, i'll play along: the thread was already bumped.
Unless you have other information, i've never been under the assumption that you can't ask about the status of a project on a project thread that currently resides near the top of the Development Project forum after having been bumped. The Project X thread is to prevent project threads (in their proper resting state) from being bumped, and people wasting time clicking on a thread void of newsworthy information or development intel.
Also, is the pursuit of etiquette totalitarianism a source of pleasure?

Last edited:
Does this project encompass Jacobson floral supply as well, or just flower exchange?? If its just flower exchange that means the Jacobson parcel will be another huge parcel available for redev, not quite this big but still significant.

Does this project encompass Jacobson floral supply as well, or just flower exchange?? If its just flower exchange that means the Jacobson parcel will be another huge parcel available for redev, not quite this big but still significant.
According to the Exchange South End webpage graphics, the answer is no: it does not include Jacobson Floral Supply.

“Demolition work to start on former Boston Flower Exchange”

“The Abbey Group, a Boston-based developer, plans to start demolishing the former site of the Boston Flower Exchange in the South End on December 12.”

2468JLL_Exchange_South_End__Aerial.0.jpg

Link

Last edited:
That big building is a beast, its tall but its also real girthy. This is pretty surprising the south end went along with a building this size. They better build the connection with frontage road to mitigate some traffic

Ah yes, Innova and Techna and Labology will be the anchor tenants :rolleyes:

Would love a view from the northwest just to see what ersatz tenant name they chose for building #4 :p

Soylent would have been good, but is now a real company.

That big building is a beast, its tall but its also real girthy. This is pretty surprising the south end went along with a building this size. They better build the connection with frontage road to mitigate some traffic
Suffolk -- hate to keep repeating this -- BUT: Labs tenants like big floor plates -- of the scale of what you see or bigger

Recently -- there have been some innovative designs for lab space inside a tall purpose-built structure suitable for dense urban settings*1 -- however I don't know of any that have been built

SGA Unveils the Vertical Cluster: The Life Science Facility for Today’s Dense, Urban Environments
By
Boston Real Estate Times
-
November 20, 2019

BOSTON — SGA, a Boston and New York-based architecture, interior design, branded environments, planning and virtual design and construction firm, today unveiled a first-of-its-kind life sciences facilities design fitted for today’s tight urban spaces. Known as the Vertical Cluster, this innovative design is ideal for densely populated cities like New York.

Designed by SGA, the Vertical Cluster is a proposed 24-story, 750,000-square-foot tower containing wet and dry labs integrated into a Class-A vertical research tower that will serve as a next-generation building type for life-sciences developments in dense urban settings, such as New York and other cities where land values are prohibitive to low rise development.

SGA-Cluster-rendering.png

SGA-Cluster-Proto.png

SGA-Cluster-Internal.png

Finally, the Vertical Cluster will make sustainability easier than ever. The tower integrates responsible solutions like water purification systems, air filtration, reusable waste systems, emergency generators, heat recovery units, renewable energy and green building materials. Not only does this initiative make the building more sustainable, but it makes the building environment much healthier. The building will also feature a double glass wall façade between the exterior and interior glass wall, that will allow for cooling when open and a warm-air buffer when closed. Advanced delivery methods (including Virtual Design and Construction) were used to assure delivery and reduce costs for this initiative.

“We are thankful for the incredible work being done to advance the health of humanity and the planet. We are all beneficiaries of this amazing work. We at SGA feel that the environment where this work is being done should not unfold in the dark, uninspired lab buildings of the past. It should be built as monumental structures within prime locations with all the grandeur and respect that their work deserves in our society,” concludes Walker Shanklin, AIA, Project Architect, SGA.

I don't think that I have ever said this about a building before, but this is going to look great from the highway. But really, heading north on the expressway, this will be quite a signal to those coming here that they have indeed entered Boston Proper.

I don't think that I have ever said this about a building before, but this is going to look great from the highway. But really, heading north on the expressway, this will be quite a signal to those coming here that they have indeed entered Boston Proper.

This will of course be a false signal, as that will have been true for miles and miles by then.

This will of course be a false signal, as that will have been true for miles and miles by then.

It will also be temporary, since there will likely soon be a line of similar towers next to JFK/UMass.

Back