Exchange South End ( Boston Flower Exchange) | Albany Street | South End

Talk about a huuuuuge space!! Nice photos BeeLine.
Cjbski -- that's what 7 empty acres looks like
just for comparison -- Volpe is 14 acres -- or 10 after the new Volpe is built
the site of the former Boston Edison station on Summer and First St is 18 acres

Wow how old is that seawall? Must be from the early 1800s.
Massachoicetts -- I think it is probably from about 1850
according to
Gaining Ground: A History of Landmaking in Boston
By Nancy S. Seasholes

1850 to 1860 is when a lot of the rest of the old South Bay got filled leaving just the vestigial Fort Point Channel
as part of this work a Sea Wall was constructed

My assumption is that is the Sea Wall which has just been dug-up

27AF9077-E26B-4C71-A5D8-04E87C1BE88F.jpeg

ba45c4cb-7b46-41fa-8188-ca7c99de5d5d-jpeg.3854

The white-roofed shed buildings are listed as Boston Floral Supply, and are occupied by several florists. Are these buildings and businesses remaining as the former Floral Exchange property is developed?

3794AA37-6445-4390-A05F-DF1B05115317.jpeg

The white-roofed shed buildings are listed as Boston Floral Supply, and are occupied by several florists. Are these buildings and businesses remaining as the former Floral Exchange property is developed?
[/QUOTE] They’re shown intact here with the finish project, but I bet they’ll sell soon enough

ba45c4cb-7b46-41fa-8188-ca7c99de5d5d-jpeg.3854

Stellarfun -- the White roofed bldgs @ 500 Albany St are owned by Jacobson a Wholesale supplier of Floral Materials, supplies, and equipment to Professional florists. https://www.shopjacobson.com/items/categories/containers

They once were part of the old Floral Exchange but they built their own facility here to serve their customer base, the people doing the fancy floral arrangements, in the lobbies of office buildings, hotels, etc. They also have a large warehouse in Braintree as part of their import business. -- I'm guessing that they own the land upon which they sit here.

I drove by the other day during what would usually be working hours or towards the end of that, it didnt look like there was any action to speak of. I dont think this project is active right now

Back