EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

The EXP footprint looks huge.

Didn't they just rebuild the MBTA bus ramp? It looks like it has already been patched.

Haven't been there in a while, but looks like the surface is milled.

The makeshift wooden ramp next to ISEC has been painted a light grey.

72A7817E-2ED5-40F5-B121-C63E6B87728B.jpeg

I guess they thought since that wooden ramp would be there for the foreseeable future, why not make it look nice?

I have to ask a dumb question that's always puzzled me looking at the groundwork progress of all these projects.

What's up with the metal tubes?

I used to assume they were pre-existing utility lines. But now I'm thinking they're just temporary reinforcing for the excavated sidewalls?

I have to ask a dumb question that's always puzzled me looking at the groundwork progress of all these projects.

What's up with the metal tubes?

I used to assume they were pre-existing utility lines. But now I'm thinking they're just temporary reinforcing for the excavated sidewalls?
Yeah, they're temporary lateral bracing to keep the walls from collapsing inwards while excavation is ongoing. They are removed as the substructure is built up and it takes on the job of supporting the foundation walls.

The color contrast will probably be useful for vision-impaired during winter snowfall. Similar to why ADA-retrofit crosswalks have a color contrast of yellow or red compared to traditional concrete sidewalks.

The color contrast will probably be useful for vision-impaired during winter snowfall. Similar to why ADA-retrofit crosswalks have a color contrast of yellow or red compared to traditional concrete sidewalks.

Though it has the benefit of introducing contrast, this is probably a branding exercise more than anything, given Northeastern's traditional color palette.

Though it has the benefit of introducing contrast, this is probably a branding exercise more than anything, given Northeastern's traditional color palette.
Northeastern hasn't really incorporated any red branding whatsoever in the whole ISEC/EXP/bridge side of campus, however. Even the Lightview apartment building was supposed to have a red stripe running down the side that never made the cut.

Northeastern hasn't really incorporated any red branding whatsoever in the whole ISEC/EXP/bridge side of campus, however. Even the Lightview apartment building was supposed to have a red stripe running down the side that never made the cut.

I thought they were trying to phase out red and eventually switch the school colors to black/white/gold? Maybe just a rumor.

I thought they were trying to phase out red and eventually switch the school colors to black/white/gold? Maybe just a rumor.
They did go on a brief gold kick back in 2018 when they first revised their branding, but they later revised it again and moved gold to formal documents and communications only and now have red white and black as primary colors. Personally I miss the warm grey that used to be in there.

Here's the university colors: https://brand.northeastern.edu/guide/about-this-guideline/

Weirdly athletics kept the gold as an accent: https://nuhuskies.com/documents/2018/10/9/NUA_BrandBookFINAL.pdf

Speaking of the ramp, it now has a blue streak running through it View attachment 8747
Definitely pulling from the "protect the pack" color scheme and branding, which has been a real departure from traditional NU colors. Can't figure out which vantage point would have that blue stripe line up with the curve of the pavement properly though, certainly doesn't from ground level...

brick-poster_be-safe-lead-on_v3-1440x0-c-default.jpg

images

Back