EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

stefal

Reaction score
The EXP footprint looks huge.

Didn't they just rebuild the MBTA bus ramp? It looks like it has already been patched.
Haven't been there in a while, but looks like the surface is milled.

Zash

Reaction score
The makeshift wooden ramp next to ISEC has been painted a light grey.

MozartFan0418

Reaction score
I guess they thought since that wooden ramp would be there for the foreseeable future, why not make it look nice?

Bananarama

Reaction score
I have to ask a dumb question that's always puzzled me looking at the groundwork progress of all these projects.

What's up with the metal tubes?

I used to assume they were pre-existing utility lines. But now I'm thinking they're just temporary reinforcing for the excavated sidewalls?

JumboBuc

Reaction score
I have to ask a dumb question that's always puzzled me looking at the groundwork progress of all these projects.

What's up with the metal tubes?

I used to assume they were pre-existing utility lines. But now I'm thinking they're just temporary reinforcing for the excavated sidewalls?
Yeah, they're temporary lateral bracing to keep the walls from collapsing inwards while excavation is ongoing. They are removed as the substructure is built up and it takes on the job of supporting the foundation walls.

dshoost88

Reaction score
The color contrast will probably be useful for vision-impaired during winter snowfall. Similar to why ADA-retrofit crosswalks have a color contrast of yellow or red compared to traditional concrete sidewalks.

Downburst

Reaction score
The color contrast will probably be useful for vision-impaired during winter snowfall. Similar to why ADA-retrofit crosswalks have a color contrast of yellow or red compared to traditional concrete sidewalks.
Though it has the benefit of introducing contrast, this is probably a branding exercise more than anything, given Northeastern's traditional color palette.

Zash

Reaction score
Though it has the benefit of introducing contrast, this is probably a branding exercise more than anything, given Northeastern's traditional color palette.
Northeastern hasn't really incorporated any red branding whatsoever in the whole ISEC/EXP/bridge side of campus, however. Even the Lightview apartment building was supposed to have a red stripe running down the side that never made the cut.

Blackbird

Reaction score
Northeastern hasn't really incorporated any red branding whatsoever in the whole ISEC/EXP/bridge side of campus, however. Even the Lightview apartment building was supposed to have a red stripe running down the side that never made the cut.
I thought they were trying to phase out red and eventually switch the school colors to black/white/gold? Maybe just a rumor.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I thought they were trying to phase out red and eventually switch the school colors to black/white/gold? Maybe just a rumor.
They did go on a brief gold kick back in 2018 when they first revised their branding, but they later revised it again and moved gold to formal documents and communications only and now have red white and black as primary colors. Personally I miss the warm grey that used to be in there.

Here's the university colors: https://brand.northeastern.edu/guide/about-this-guideline/

Weirdly athletics kept the gold as an accent: https://nuhuskies.com/documents/2018/10/9/NUA_BrandBookFINAL.pdf