EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

Wentworth used to use its "quad" green space as a selling point for being the largest private green space in Boston - unsure of how true that was, and not sure if they still use that line anymore, but the saying stuck with me.

I think greenspaces are helpful for college campuses. In a traditional setting, a lot of students will use them to get outside but stay close to class/home, rather than walking down the street somewhere. Using them as selling points only works during spring tours when a bunch of students might be out there and tours are explaining active student bodies and groups.

Generally speaking, urban schools in the US do not have traditional quads —Yale being a notable exception by a mile.

Wouldn't Harvard also be an exception? Or does Harvard Yard not qualify as a "quad" for reasons I don't know?

Wouldn't Harvard also be an exception? Or does Harvard Yard not qualify as a "quad" for reasons I don't know?

I was wondering the same thing. Either not a "quad" or not truly "urban"?

But then I thought of this, which is definitely urban. And this...

(I think some urban universities have quads)

Last edited:
Generally speaking, urban schools in the US do not have traditional quads —Yale being a notable exception by a mile.

Northeastern has Krentzman Quad, the Science (Robinson) Quad, and West Village Quad.

Centennial Commons, the greenspace in front of Churchill Hall, and the courtyard in front of the library also sort of function as quads as well. Maybe throw the Speare wiffleball diamond in there too.

Well, Yale was cited as "the" notable exception and Cambridge is (slightly) bigger than New Haven, so I'd say Harvard would have to be considered at "urban."

Northeastern has Krentzman Quad, the Science (Robinson) Quad, and West Village Quad.

Centennial Commons, the greenspace in front of Churchill Hall, and the courtyard in front of the library also sort of function as quads as well. Maybe throw the Speare wiffleball diamond in there too.

This ^

I'm not entirely too familiar with the new tour routes 100% since they made ISEC the terminus, but I know that they still go through Centennial Commons, so they still do see that NEU's campus does in fact have some green space.

But then I thought of this, which is definitely urban. And this...

(I think some urban universities have quads)
My daughter's favorite place on campus are the visitor center steps overlooking the South Lawn, which is definitely a quad. I think urban campuses with quads are not that uncommon. Here's another well known example: USC

Last edited:
Hard to make out, but the site is active tonight! NUPD has set up detours while some pretty big trucks are heading in.

It’s hard to tell, but in the middle of the second picture something is going vertical which I can only assume is for the previously discussed crane
4DD72DC5-FBDB-4F67-BE2D-06CD3C6C49AB.jpeg
2832766E-A63C-459F-A21A-987A8EA51979.jpeg

Nothing new, but it was brought up during the 840 Columbus Task Force development meeting
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 6.12.23 PM.png

Well, Yale was cited as "the" notable exception and Cambridge is (slightly) bigger than New Haven, so I'd say Harvard would have to be considered at "urban."
Actually according to the Census estimate for 2019
New Haven is about 12% bigger than Cambridge by Population and substantially bigger in land and total area
New Haven CT Population: 130,331 (2019) Area [land] 18.69 sq mi
Cambridge MA Population 116,632 (2019) Area Land 6.39 sq mi

By the way MIT has a fairly traditional Quad associated with the East Campus Houses

1611880582228.png

fair enough, but based on the metrics you quote, cambridge is radically more dense -- and density is a pretty key component in how "urban" an area feels. regardless, we're splitting hairs. if new haven is a city (imho it is) then cambridge also is, and therefore harvard yard "qualifies" as much as any spot on the yale campus.

fair enough, but based on the metrics you quote, cambridge is radically more dense -- and density is a pretty key component in how "urban" an area feels. regardless, we're splitting hairs. if new haven is a city (imho it is) then cambridge also is, and therefore harvard yard "qualifies" as much as any spot on the yale campus.

Exactly - - per those numbers posted, density:

Cambridge = 18,252/sq mile
New Haven = 6,973/sq mile

Back