EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

SInce we are talking about Cambridge, I am pretty sure MIT's Killian Court would be considered an urban quad. It just happens to have one side as the Charles River.

SInce we are talking about Cambridge, I am pretty sure MIT's Killian Court would be considered an urban quad. It just happens to have one side as the Charles River.
Jeff -- I think the usual connotation of Quad is residential "houses" or Colleges -- Killian Court is bounded by academic halls
that's why I suggested the East Campus Houses and the associated Courtyard

Another MIT Quad is my old undergrad dorm MacGregor House -- located between Mem Drive and Amherst Alley west of Mass Ave
That dorm consists of a 3 winged low-rise with a tower on the corner with Amherst Alley & a driveway connecting to Mem Dr.

MacGregor House.jpg

Jeff -- I think the usual connotation of Quad is residential "houses" or Colleges -- Killian Court is bounded by academic halls
that's why I suggested the East Campus Houses and the associated Courtyard

I don't know that that's the "usual" connotation of Quad. Quad seems to have a prevalent architectural usage to refer to a lot more than just residential contexts, even at universities. That said, a particular offshoot of the Quad concept was the dorm or residential application (and perhaps that's what bdurden was referring to) -- though one of the early and term-coining examples of this also happened to be in a U.S. urban context (and, ironically, was not arranged in a quadragular shape).

The wikipedia article on "Quadrangle": lists some of the urban, non-residential-exclusive university examples cited in this thread, including "Harvard Yard" and "the University of Chicago's gothic campus is also notable for its innovative use of quadrangles."

"Quad" has colloquial uses tied to residences, yet a wider use tied to the general architectural concept of the quadrangle (particularly at universities).

I don't know that that's the "usual" connotation of Quad. Quad seems to have a prevalent architectural usage to refer to a lot more than just residential contexts, even at universities. That said, a particular offshoot of the Quad concept was the dorm or residential application (and perhaps that's what bdurden was referring to) -- though one of the early and term-coining examples of this also happened to be in a U.S. urban context (and, ironically, was not arranged in a quadragular shape).

The wikipedia article on "Quadrangle": lists some of the urban, non-residential-exclusive university examples cited in this thread, including "Harvard Yard" and "the University of Chicago's gothic campus is also notable for its innovative use of quadrangles."

"Quad" has colloquial uses tied to residences, yet a wider use tied to the general architectural concept of the quadrangle (particularly at universities).
Bigpicture --- Quad one of those losely defined academic terms [not to be confused with Academic Semesters] :cool: whose connotation depends on you and your particular frame of reference

It a bit like the somewhat associated and similarly unspecific term of College --- which can range from:
an organization of students living together [almost like a Frat] with some support aspects --- e.g. Oxford's various colleges where there is no formal academic component just residences [what MIT calls Houses]​
an organization of professors doing something together as in MIT's newly minted Schwartzman College of Computing -- no one except for some clandestine grad students are likely to be sleeping here [what MIT used to call a Lab e.g. Research Lab for Electronics the granddaddy of all interdisciplinary labs]​
or something else as in Harvard College within the greater Harvard University -- where Harvard College is defined in terms of the program of study undertaken by undergraduates and while it encompasses student living on campus it is not tied to any particular structure​
or something else such as Smith College -- encompassing the totality of a kind of mini-university​
or something even stranger such as MIT Building E25 (Whitaker College) located at 45 Carleton St and which houses: MIT-Harvard College of Health Science among other things and which in turn is not related to Building 56 [Whitaker Building] except by the name Whitaker [which houses the HQ of the Dept of Biological Engineering]​

temp_view_01.jpg
temp_view_01a.jpg

a bit of architecture on another scale -- the "chip" in the picture is about the size of match book
Linda Griffith, the School of Engineering Professor of Teaching Innovation and a professor of biological engineering and mechanical engineering

B
Bigpicture --- Quad one of those losely defined academic terms [not to be confused with Academic Semesters] :cool: whose connotation depends on you and your particular frame of reference

It a bit like the somewhat associated and similarly unspecific term of College --- which can range from:
an organization of students living together [almost like a Frat] with some support aspects --- e.g. Oxford's various colleges where there is no formal academic component just residences [what MIT calls Houses]​
an organization of professors doing something together as in MIT's newly minted Schwartzman College of Computing -- no one except for some clandestine grad students are likely to be sleeping here [what MIT used to call a Lab e.g. Research Lab for Electronics the granddaddy of all interdisciplinary labs]​
or something else as in Harvard College within the greater Harvard University -- where Harvard College is defined in terms of the program of study undertaken by undergraduates and while it encompasses student living on campus it is not tied to any particular structure​
or something else such as Smith College -- encompassing the totality of a kind of mini-university​
or something even stranger such as MIT Building E25 (Whitaker College) located at 45 Carleton St and which houses: MIT-Harvard College of Health Science among other things and which in turn is not related to Building 56 [Whitaker Building] except by the name Whitaker [which houses the HQ of the Dept of Biological Engineering]​

View attachment 10026 View attachment 10029
a bit of architecture on another scale -- the "chip" in the picture is about the size of match book
Linda Griffith, the School of Engineering Professor of Teaching Innovation and a professor of biological engineering and mechanical engineering

Between this and your post in #143 - what exactly compels you to be putting long winded posts with diagrams and pics of your beloved MIT in THIS thread?

If you want to bloviate about MIT, would you please do it in an MIT thread?

B

Between this and your post in #143 - what exactly compels you to be putting long winded posts with diagrams and pics of your beloved MIT in THIS thread?

If you want to bloviate about MIT, would you please do it in an MIT thread?
Shmessy -- it the COVID-19 that made me do it!!

What I imagine to be an EXP sampler has appeared in the Renaissance Park parking lot.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 203

Back