Fairmount Line Upgrade

Re: Fairmont Line Upgrade

^Looking at a map, I only see four houses (on the Cummins side) close enough to the tracks such that a station could literally be said to sit in their back yards.

And what ever happened to the Fairmount Line DMU discussion? Surely that would help mitigate the noise problem.

^Looking at a map, I only see four houses (on the Cummins side) close enough to the tracks such that a station could literally be said to sit in their back yards.

And what ever happened to the Fairmount Line DMU discussion? Surely that would help mitigate the noise problem.

Residents of the other 16 houses might disagree with you. Please note that I don't. Most of the houses have a much larger set-back. That being said, I still think it's a concern worth acknowledging.

^^ But if the proposal was for a central platform, then how does that negatively impact any of these houses at all? The ROW already exists between the current track alignment, all they'll need to do is add stairways to Cummins and/or Blue Hill. It's not like the tracks themselves are new to the neighborhood and will be bringing unwanted train noise--the trains have already been there for years!

I guess no station then because there's is no where to put it where it won't be behind a house.

They should consult the people who already have Morton Street and Uphams Corner stations in their back yards.

I agree, it's the only place to put one in that neighborhood. But I suspect there is more need at Uphams Corner and Morton Street. People in Mattapan Square already have a rail option to get to South Station. Yes, the Indigo line is better than the "high speed" line + red line. But I think some of the abbuters may need more convincing. That's not a bad thing, it's important to make the effort to help a community understand what is happening and why, and how it might benefit them. What we want to avoid is the impression that a station they don't want was jammed down their throats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjEb6pWX8c4

Uploaded by usgovpsc on Jun 15, 2011

The City of Boston, aided in part by a grant from the Brownfields Assessment and Cleanup Program, has already assessed and/or cleaned up multiple city-owned brownfields along this rail line and is planning to provide environmental assessments on several more. In addition, the Fairmount Collaborative has developed a master plan for the Greenway, identified opportunity sites, and is developing resources for its realization.

Wait, what, huh? The last part?

In addition, the Fairmount Collaborative has developed a master plan for the Greenway, identified opportunity sites, and is developing resources for its realization.

What 'Greenway'?

Wait, what, huh? The last part?

What 'Greenway'?

I had no idea. I kept expecting the video to change topics to the RFK Greenway but it didn't happen. Not sure what they'd have to do with that anyways, so... Must be something in Dot.

There's also a Neponset River Greenway, but that's pretty far from here too.

Nice video, with some interesting info on u/c and planned brownfield development in Dorchester (starting 5:30).

That said, now I'm even more disheartened about the lack of genuine heavy rail along that corridor.

(oh god, and the economic umbilical cord metaphor @ 11:10...that was disturbing)

That said, now I'm even more disheartened about the lack of genuine heavy rail along that corridor.

(oh god, and the economic umbilical cord metaphor @ 11:10...that was disturbing)

+1, it made me feel even more supportive of true heavy rail rapid transit. This corridor needs it without a doubt in my mind. I found that over 1 hour transit time to downtown pretty atrocious, too. I'm not sure if it is exaggerated or what, but whatever the case, anything more than 30 minutes is kind of ridiculous!

LOL! I found it very disturbing too! Ahahahaha!

earthrockhill does nice work, but every time I see one of his videos, it makes me sad that we can get a piece of a project done so quickly, but then need several years just the same to complete the entire project. Why can't it all be done quickly and simultaneously?

There's two, it cuts off before they even started the other one. Not sure why they couldn't build both tracks at once.

I was hoping this would be about converting the Fairmount line to heavy rail, but ah well.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/dorchester/2012/02/hold_mayor_kicks_off_fairmount.html

Mayor kicks off Fairmount Indigo Planning Initiative

By Patrick D. Rosso, Town Correspondent

Residents who live along the MBTA’s Fairmount Line joined Mayor Thomas Menino Tuesday, at the Strand Theater in Dorchester to officially kick off the Fairmount Indigo Planning Initiative.

“I think this has tremendous potential,” said Menino. “There are a lot of hidden gems in Boston’s neighborhoods and this Indigo Line will open them up for opportunity.”

The initiative will bring together city agencies and the community to take an in-depth look at the 9.2 mile long line and how through strategic planning they can spur economic development and better serve the over 160,000 people that live along the corridor.

The $380,000 initiative is being funded by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, a grant from the Garfield Foundation and the Boston Foundation.

In 2011 the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development award the city’s Department of Neighborhood Development a $20 million Choice Neighborhood grant and $1.8 million Community Challenge grant. Together the grants will work to support growth along the corridor through investments in community oriented programs, affordable housing and transit oriented development.

The MBTA also invested $130 million in the line that stretches from South Station to Hyde Park to construct four new stations in Mattapan, Dorchester and Roxbury/South Boston.

Along with improvements on the line, The BRA during the initiative will also work with the community to look at ways to encourage growth along the corridor and around the line’s stops and review what the community thinks will help encourage ridership and job growth.

“It’s about reducing unemployment and bringing in new jobs and new investment for those who live along the line,” said Menino. “It’s about creating a Fairmount Corridor that works for all our people.”

Infrastructure improvements were a major focus for some of those in attendance.

“I think we need to make an investment in basic infrastructure,” said Districts 4 City Councilor Charles Yancey. “We should also be encouraging more community development around the stops and I think the city can play a major role in that.”

To accomplish all the city’s plans for the corridor, the initiative will have a two-tier planning structure.

The first part will be a comprehensive corridor-wide community planning effort. The goal, according to the BRA’s project page, “is to envision a new identity for the corridor and develop a comprehensive plan for corridor-wide economic development and physical improvement.”

The second tier of the initiative will look at certain crossroads and station locations along the line and search for ways to stimulate the area to encourage growth and job creation.

“There’s huge potential to bring more people into the district and make it more accessible for the broader Boston community,” said Max MacCarthy, executive director of Uphams Corner Main Street.

MacCarthy mentioned that not only could the line bring opportunities for residents to reach new jobs across the city, but the line will also bring more business to Uphams Corner.

“Infrastructure improvements and beautification could really help this district and the more frequent the line runs, the better,” said MacCarthy.

With the new energy surrounding the line many were excited to get work started and look at ways to stimulate growth along the line, where according to the BRA, a third of the city's vacant properties sit within a half-mile of.

Currently the Fairmount line has the lowest ridership of any of the MBTA’s commuter lines, with about 1,650 customers daily and a one-way ride end-to-end on the train costs $4.75.

Once the four new stops are completed, the Fairmount Line will have 10 stops not including South Station.

For more information on the initiative click here.

Talbot Ave Station opens Monday:

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/D...pcoming_Schedules/Commuter_Rail/Fairmount.pdf

They aren't adding any trips and all but four trips each way use Talbot Ave, Morton St and Uphams Corner as flag stops. Looks like there is a long way to go before this corridor resembles rapid transit even slightly.

Newmarket and Four Corners/Geneva are still expected to open next year. Maybe if the rest of the commuter trains from South Korea come in a timely manner that timing could be just right. A man can dream, right?

On the Orange Line maps (which already have Wachusett), it is labeled as Talbot St and not Talbot Ave.

Talbot Ave Station opens Monday:

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/D...pcoming_Schedules/Commuter_Rail/Fairmount.pdf

They aren't adding any trips and all but four trips each way use Talbot Ave, Morton St and Uphams Corner as flag stops. Looks like there is a long way to go before this corridor resembles rapid transit even slightly.

Newmarket and Four Corners/Geneva are still expected to open next year. Maybe if the rest of the commuter trains from South Korea come in a timely manner that timing could be just right. A man can dream, right?

Adding 1-2 more trains shouldn't have been hard, but there's a few things that are holding up true expansion of service:

-- Equipment. The Worcester service expansion with further thins out the current coach supply by having less frequent trainset cycling back at SS from the old Framingham short-turns, the new Rotem coaches are way late with the order now not due to be filled until 2014 (nevermind the +75 escalator clause which could drag to the end of 2015 if exercised), and the Rotem coaches being late has let to a minor shortage as the Kawasaki bi-levels start being rotated out to New York for their midlife overhaul. Short-term deficit, but it won't be until early 2014 that this starts to abate and more single-levels get freed up by the higher-capacity bi's going to other lines.

-- Storage. Trickier problem. Widett Circle has no more room to lay over a single extra trainset at South Station for anything on the southside, and Readville is full. Nobody's talked about it yet, but they really ought to take a temporary lease on the CSX engine house and yard along Storrow Dr. next year after CSX closes that, as they could at least stuff the full Worcester contingent there and it's a little easier to deadhead to South Station there than from Readville. I hope they do this because it's a virtually free way to borrow storage capacity for another 10 years until they find the change to expand Readville.

-- Blue Hill Ave. station construction. Off to a late start obviously, but there'll be speed restrictions through the construction site for the next 18 months that make it pretty futile to do much more.

There's also some minor inconveniences like the mini-high platforms at Fairmount and Readville preventing them from using automatic door coaches on the line for dwell time savings. Although you wonder upgrading those to highs is in the works soon because the Kawasaki bi-levels are all getting auto doors in their rebuild which assumes the auto-door fleet is being buffed out for use on some other line than just the Old Colony. NEC is where they'd need large numbers of auto coaches when those platforms get raised, but that'll take most of the decade. Fairmount + Readville, if funded, could probably go all-high in less than a year's worth of construction.

I agree...it's a weak effort that there's not a single new run at the onset. But there are some concrete logistical hurdles--non-budget related--they have to work through before substantial service expansion is possible. We just need to see some true signs of commitment that it's really coming, a la the early pronouncements about Worcester service expansion.

Back