Fairmount Line Upgrade

Re: Fairmont Line Upgrade

We've reached the limits of the old-timey American commuter rail operating model. It can't handle proper frequencies, it is simply broken and needs to be reformed. The DMUs aren't special as vehicles, but they might offer a political opportunity to enact much needed reform on operating practices, and clean out some of the cruft.

I'm not saying the weekday ridership shouldn't be poor, I'm just saying that it is and we should focus on improving THAT first before even thinking about weekend service. It seems like we are trying to solve one problem by creating another. It's obviously tough to have commuter rail level service in a corridor where car ownership is much lower than your average commuter rail community and there is a need for dependence on reliable and frequent rapid transit.

OK. We just had another announcement of a service increase. And another announcement in which Fairmount was not mentioned among service increases. Weekend rides to Kingston and frickin' Greenbush are prioritized over adding ANY new trains ANY day of the week. This isn't a weekend-specific problem. It's an everything-Fairmount problem and suburbs de-investing transit from the city problem.

In general, I don't see the allure of expanding weekend commuter rail service (over other service improvements). Perhaps I'm incorrect in my assumption, but I would think most commuter rail riders have a car or access to one. For weekday service, the benefit is avoiding traffic on major highways and avoiding the high cost of parking in the city. This is weighed against the cost of a ticket. On weekend service, highway traffic is much less (though the Expressway can be brutal in the summer) and parking costs are at a 2/3 discount. Add in the flexibility of driving, speed of the trip and the infrequent weekend service and it is difficult to compete, which is why ridership is only 20% of a typical weekday.
Not in Dorchester and Hyde Park they don't. Those are two middle-low income, very transit-dependent neighborhoods with relatively low car ownership. Your assumption about car ownership and commuter rail is totally irrelevant here because this corridor is singularly different from all 13 other commuter rail lines. It never leaves the city of Boston. This isn't a standard commuter rail corridor. That is the whole point of the upgrades. These places need the frequent-service train because they're stuck with very substandard buses.

The T promised them better train service to the CBD then they were getting from the buses which all run east-west on this corridor and require transfers. People here aren't taking the train because those trips it's supposed to serve to downtown are less frequent on the train than the bus + transfer. The corridor ridership profile and what trips would be diverted off bus to train is well-known. As is what frequency threshold the service has to hit for those trips to change modes. It's not a Greenbush scenario where they built it and the people didn't come and everyone's kerfuzzled as to why. They haven't built it here. That's why nobody's coming. The stations are done, but the trains don't run. If they can't do better than once every 40 minutes in a peak period that's shorter than every other line's peak, can't do better than once an hour off-peak, and can't run a single outbound from South Station after 9:40pm...there's nothing to ride. It's worse than every bus into the nearest rapid transit transfer. Not just some buses...every bus.

This doesn't take miracles. 30 minutes on-peak, 45 off-peak, and something/anything after 10:00pm is a lot better than this. At least that matches the buses and starts to get some genuine ridership growth going. There is zero growth without that. And weekend service goes hand-in-hand with that growth, because inter-neighborhood trips are still car-free and bus-dependent for this audience.

Is this another intentional grounding to suppress ridership so they don't have to increase service? It was their own proposal that scoped out what the service plan had to be to become a draw, and what level of service was and was not going to be adequate for the corridor. Do these stations just lie in wait now until they shower some more suburban money on Bob Kraft for commuter rail service to Foxboro and rename this the Patriot Place Line? 'Cause that proposal has a fatter on-peak schedule than Fairmount has today, makes the Fairmount stops earlier in the morning than the first proper Fairmount train, departs SS on last run later than the last proper Fairmount train, and has 8 Saturday round trips and 7 Sunday round trips. Making all stops.

Actually, it's 20 Fairmount weekday round trips today vs. 16 round trips proposed for Foxboro. You could literally just extend the entire schedule to the 'burbs...16 to Foxboro, and either abort the other 4 with a Readville short-turn or parcel them off as extra Forge Park off-peaks. Now that the MassDOT board has voted to buy the Framingham Secondary from CSX that goes to Foxboro, it's almost perfect how well the schedule aligns if they wanted to bait-and-switch it to the 'burbs while still claiming plausible deniability that the new stations were worth it.

I'm not sure I totally believe that, but it's getting to the point where they've kicked this rollout can down the road so many times they've got to start explaining why they aren't pulling a fast one. And no, "We're buying shiny DMU's!" is not an explanation. Less-awful-than-a-lousy-bus frequencies were achievable 18 months ago. There is absolutely nothing vehicle-related or South Station capacity-related that prevents them from doubling these frequencies yesterday. They're not doing it because they don't want to do it. They want to run empty Sunday trains from Greenbush instead.

In addition to the anemic frequencies, lack of fare integration is a real problem. Yes, you can get a monthly 1A pass that works on the subway / bus as well, but for single rides, you don't get the free transfer to the subway once you get to South Station.

In addition to the anemic frequencies, lack of fare integration is a real problem. Yes, you can get a monthly 1A pass that works on the subway / bus as well, but for single rides, you don't get the free transfer to the subway once you get to South Station.

+1

The lack of even close to modern technology when it comes to fares, scheduling, train tracking, etc. is a huge problem with this system.

One should be able to move freely throughout the system knowing when trains/buses are arriving based on where they actually are, all while using one method of financial access that should be easy to use and completely update-able/track-able online.

Boston Globe has an editorial about Patrick administration putting too much faith in DMUs since they claim there are no FRA compliant ones except the defunct Colorado Rail Car:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...re-are-they/jJYGJuwNveh6Fh0opIDcvN/story.html

whoever fed them the story is a little behind the times and might not know about the Nippon-Sharyo units, which have been discussed here before:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/.../toronto-airport-rail-link-dmu-delivered.html

Hi folks, long - LONG time lurker, making my first post. (Some of you may know me from rr.net, but I rarely post there nowadays)

Has there been any murmurs at all about Fairmount from the MBTA? I've heard nothing on Blue Hill Avenue or service increases (and now it seems they looked over Fairmount for the weekend service upgrade). All talk seems to be about "West Station" and Track 61... I'm starting to get that familiar "equal or better" Silver Line vibe...

Hi folks, long - LONG time lurker, making my first post. (Some of you may know me from rr.net, but I rarely post there nowadays)

Has there been any murmurs at all about Fairmount from the MBTA? I've heard nothing on Blue Hill Avenue or service increases (and now it seems they looked over Fairmount for the weekend service upgrade). All talk seems to be about "West Station" and Track 61... I'm starting to get that familiar "equal or better" Silver Line vibe...

Aside from the brief Indigo Line lip service whenever DMUs are mentioned, nothing.

The most recent Blue Hill Ave meeting presentation made it very clear that the T is very, very tired of the same few residents derailing every single meeting. Completion date then was June 2017 and I wouldn't expect it till 2018.

I've heard that although they haven't announced weekend Fairmount service yet, it might actually start before the restored Old Colony and Needham weekend service, We'll see.

Yeah...they have pivoted in a big away from the Fairmount Line and are all about West and BCEC right now. And pivoted to mainly talking about the vehicles and the stations, while being mum on the service levels and how the fares would work with transfers. Service levels and fares are all the public is asking about, and the responses have been a giant deflector shield. It's starting to take on every characteristic of a lame-duck governor and MassDOT leadership that are just playing out the string and don't have to pretend they'll follow up on their statements. That's the next regime's problem, or the next regime's subject to completely change if they want to focus on something else.

See the Mass Pike improvements thread and Matthew's experience at the Beacon Park Tour + West Station Meetings. It's very telling. There will be a West Station--that's not in much doubt--but the odds of anything more than a Worcester/Framingham local serving it within the next 10 years are getting poorer by the day. My guess is it's much less than 50-50 now that we'll ever see "Indigo" service at the quasi- rapid-transit threshold that it was envisioned. The frequency threshold (and a suitably compatible fare and transfer structure) being the be-all/end-all of whether it works at all. And remember that a vehicle RFP is just a paperwork move to solicit specs from interested manufacturers. It is not a commitment to buy; it's not a commitment to do anything with what info they get back. They can throw it in a file cabinet and sit on it forever. Or they can buy the vehicles so BCEC and Harvard have a trophy and lose their shirts operating them because 2.5 trains per hour is too little cost recovery.

I'd start getting very skeptical and pinning them to the wall on these dodges in public meetings, because we've seen this act too many times before on other overhyped announcements that faded fast in momentum.

Yes - I agree. So let's make it one, but tacking on Saturday/Sunday service with even more infrequent headways isn't going to help the Monday-Friday at all.

Thats not true.

People search for housing based off their transportation options (alongside many other variables of course).

If you dont have a car, would you pick to live somewhere with very poor weekend options? Nope.

But provide weekend options, and you move in, resulting in weekday ridership.

Looks like the MBTA is actively working on extending eight Fairmount Line trips to Foxboro, once the DMUs are purchased:

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...cle_761191a5-0f9e-5e5e-aaec-6cd6d75da9de.html

Article includes the interesting key line:
"Keegan said the proposal calls for using a new type of train involving single motorized train cars.
"They are looking to create a small depot to house the units overnight," Keegan said, mentioning he thinks it would be near the site where Spooky World had been located behind Gillette Stadium that is used for maintenance related activities for the stadium."

If they do it right, could completely change the game with Patriot Place. Would have an effective and relatively frequent service that could definitely bring some really sweet TOD from Kraft and friends if built. Wonder if Kraft would kick in some money for a public-private deal like New Balance did

If they do it right, could completely change the game with Patriot Place. Would have an effective and relatively frequent service that could definitely bring some really sweet TOD from Kraft and friends if built. Wonder if Kraft would kick in some money for a public-private deal like New Balance did

No, it wouldn't. Patriot Place is an hour or so from Boston by train, and it has ample parking for people coming down 95 or Route 1 on non-game days, so I can't see why anyone from the suburbs who isn't currently patronizing the place would leap at the opportunity to catch a train at Route 128 just because one exists.

Honestly, this is just not what DMUs are for, and I wonder if Keegan just conflated things he'd been told about commuter rail proposals in his head. The only reason I could see the T wanting to do this is that they don't want to do maintenance at Readville or Cabot (perhaps due to those yard moves F-Line has such an issue with) and sees this as an alternative site for overnight storage and a yard, with the service a secondary concern. If so, it seems a huge amount of hassle to drag the trains all the way out here, particularly from Riverside if that happens.

No, it wouldn't. Patriot Place is an hour or so from Boston by train, and it has ample parking for people coming down 95 or Route 1 on non-game days, so I can't see why anyone from the suburbs who isn't currently patronizing the place would leap at the opportunity to catch a train at Route 128 just because one exists.

Honestly, this is just not what DMUs are for, and I wonder if Keegan just conflated things he'd been told about commuter rail proposals in his head. The only reason I could see the T wanting to do this is that they don't want to do maintenance at Readville or Cabot (perhaps due to those yard moves F-Line has such an issue with) and sees this as an alternative site for overnight storage and a yard, with the service a secondary concern. If so, it seems a huge amount of hassle to drag the trains all the way out here, particularly from Riverside if that happens.

I could see a service plan where pairs or triplets of DMUs are lashed up to do a run into the city from Foxboro via Fairmount in the morning, are broken up at South Station to do late A.M. and midday runs Readville-Boston with two or three car sets, and then are coupled back together in the evening for the runs back to Foxboro where they will sleep. Eight round-trips are not a lot of trips (as a comparison, Needham has 16 round-trips).

South Acton Update. The inbound platform is in (first pic). Steel for canopy comes next week. The outbound platform probably won't go in until the outbound tracks are placed (see ballast waiting for tracks in the second pic).

NXhbLoN.jpg

Trkr12I.jpg

Haha. Thanks Equilibria. Total brain fart. Can one of the mods move for me.

Foxboro's not appropriate at all for DMU's. That is a bonkers proposal.

Look at these daily boardings in the '14 Blue Book.

Readville - 365 (vs. 256 on the Fairmount side)
Endicott - 350
Dedham Corporate Ctr. - 806
Islington - 844 (!) <-- Tiny little no-signage-from-the-street Islington!
Norwood Depot - 632
Norwood Central - 1185 <-- for non-Providence stops only Beverly, Salem, Worcester Union, Framingham, and Lowell are higher. Would be higher still if too-duplicate Depot didn't split the tally.
Windsor Gardens - 624
Plimtonville (1 round trip only) - 13
Walpole - 945
Norfolk - 748
Franklin - 876
Forge Park - 747

No northside line even comes close, and these are pretty much non-Providence Line bests for the whole CR system. For large strings of stations, inner vs. outer stations, intermediate vs. terminal stations Franklin rakes it with zero fanfare and little investment. Worcester may have a growth ceiling that exceeds it now that the once awful schedule's uncapped, but for a mature line with mature (and fairly middling) schedule Franklin's remarkably consistent end-to-end. That's pretty much 'the' ridership profile you want to see rounding into form on every new/upgraded conventional commuter rail line: mixture of park-and-rides, walkable/bus-connecting town center stops, residential neighborhood stops with very high walkup crowds, and all-of-the-above mixtures of those characteristics. And Franklin's been doing this year-in/year-out completely unnoticed (and given the state of ADA compliance on the line, completely ignored).

F'boro needs mega seating capacity at the terminal stop for rush hour because of the 95/495 park-and-riders, and the ridership explosion that'll result at Dedham Corporate/128, the Norwoods, and Walpole from outright x2'ing mainline frequencies at the rush AND off-peak schedules will make the Franklin a line that needs bi-levels and lots of them at rush and the first immediately pre- and post- rush trains.

It's a line that needs coach six-packs at rush today, bi-levels today. The doubled schedule isn't going to diffuse the numbers to fit...it's going to uncap them. Dedham Corporate becomes > Westwood/128 because of easier highway access and less-isolated location. And Norwood + Walpole complete their transformation to full-on transit dependent communities...start pumping in Salem/Beverly levels of ridership...fill up the rest of rush hour...and start sustaining a robust off-peak where car capacity needs won't die down significantly till a 2-hour buffer around each rush. Plus Boston MPO's got a slate of low-cost bus action plan recommendations on the Routes 27 and 109 corridors for running highish-frequently routes to Medfield and Millis transferring in at Walpole or Norfolk (definitely Walpole now if the doubled-up schedule is in play), which given the short distance is actually a pretty equitable solution to the dedicated commuter rail line those communities are no longer ever going to get.

The F'boro feasibility study left the mainline stops alone, because the build left the mainline largely alone for factoring cost. It crunched the Foxboro numbers and park-and-ride load diversions from Walpole, but mostly just incremented up the ridership at the intermediate stops and squared ops with Fairmount (since it couldn't make assumptions about Fairmount alone with that subject to the separate study). The projections are low-balled by a LOT because of how little they drill down into the changes in utilization at Walpole, the Norwoods, and DC from 2x the service. In reality you're talking growth that's more exponential than incremental...a big extra gear and higher ceiling, not a curve. That's why this extension is such an underrated bargain even if Bob Kraft gets too much state cash stuffed in his amply stuffed pockets.

But it is completely inappropriate to run on DMU's.
-- Freight clearance route...low platform + single-car mini-high exemption in effect at all stops past Readville except F'boro (single-track full-high platform + freight siding). You cannot open more than the doors of the front half of DMU #1 at the mini-high. Depending on car configuration some of the extra doors may be useless too for lining up with mini-highs that aren't entirely consistent length or position. Half or more of the doors are more cumbersome low boarding, which in multi-car ops and rush-hour ops kills the vehicles' efficiency advantage.
-- DMU's have completely inappropriate seating arrangement for conventional rush hour (or somewhat crowded early/ending off-peaks buffered around rush). A married-pair is going to have quick on/off 2x2 seating more like a subway car. It most certainly won't match the seating capacity of a single 3x2 seating bi-level coach despite being a conjoined unit longer than a single-level coach. And that's a big problem when rush hour is going to need six-packs and borderline offpeaks are going to need four- or five-packs worth of seating. 3-car DMU's won't cut it. It'll have to be 4. And a crowded 4 at that to handle the ridership explosion on the mainline. That's a ludicrous use of specialized vehicles when they have 200 crowd-swallower coaches on the roster.
-- Franklin is a conventional CR line in the classic sense. Wide-spaced stops. Everywhere except for DC + Islington where it's completely justified by separate towns, no access across the 128 canyon to unite them, and huge ridership. And Norwood Central vs. Depot where Depot really could be a (very low-priority) elimination candidate. The performance difference DMU vs. push-pull on acceleration is nil out here. 15-minute frequencies don't matter out here. And the riders ride straight to the terminal and don't get on/off nearly as much at intermediate pairs as they do inside-128. This is the application where 3x2 coach seating is the vehicle's bang-for-buck efficiency.
-- DMU's on a conventional multi-car route require more staff for the same riders that fit in fewer coaches. There you go...there's the biggest piece of cost bloat on vehicle type for those of you really itching for an excuse to deploy DMU's everywhere. The agency that overspends on train staffing has to keep overspending.
-- DMU's to 495 means the outer layovers have to be configured to serve them, and they outer layover staff has to be trained on inspection/maint for both vehicle types. More staff cost bloat because they're out of roaming range from the terminal district home base. To go along with more staff per train who are on break at these outer layovers.
-- DMU's to 495 require more fueling runs. Smaller tanks, and the smaller engines burn fuel at a higher rate per fillup than the big slow-RPM engines in a locomotive. Yes, distance and schedule frequency matter. At a certain combination the two vehicle types converge then diverge in opposite directions on efficiency. If DMU's are kept inside 128 running often and push-pulls are running further less often...they go out-of-service for refueling by about the same number of hours/days of service time every week. Start messing with those boundaries and the DMU's start racking up more hours of downtime in the fueling line and have fewer hours of availability in any given week. Bad idea...less availability means higher operating cost. Stick to the Indigo script and don't cross the streams if you actually care about running a maximally efficient operation.

It's simple. DMU's hit their peak payoff running those 15-20 min. high frequencies with fast turns, short distances, and clearly defined territory. Push-pulls hit peak payoff running on conventional CR routes, which Franklin past Readville is as prototypically conventional as they come. Start blurring the lines and the payoff gets murky, converges at a very middling efficiency, and eventually starts passing in the wrong direction with bloated operating cost. Don't want that...don't run vehicles in specialty configuration for one type of service and try to square-peg/round-hole them into any-vehicles. Just buy the frickin' any-vehicles (i.e. 3x2 seating, some non-optimized door/interior configuration that trends more to packing bodies than empty movements). But clearly that blunts too much of the edge on what makes Indigo tick...so why? Just run the frickin' push-pulls where they're supposed to go, and the DMU's where they're supposed to go.

This is stupid. It's exactly what I feared a few posts up that they're backpedalling away from the real Fairmount service plan and preparing for the cut-and-run into just making it another suburban-centric, suburban-giveaway train. Only this is even worse because they're trying to cloak it in "See, it's real! We bought the shiny vehicles! Look...DMU's. That's what we said we were going to. What do mean frequencies?...fares?...transfers? La-la-la, I can't hear you! But aren't they so shiny?"

Which means...start getting very skeptical about real, useful service to 1) West Station, 2) BCEC, 3) Riverside, 4) Lynn, 5) Kendall via West, 6) Anderson. The same bait-and-switch applies. Conventional Worcester/Framinghams, Lowells, Newburyport/Rockports switched over on their crowd-swallower runs to ill-fitting unicorn vehicles at peak and near-peak, and a modest infusion of off-peak supplementals to buttress the headways in ways that won't be terribly meaningful to changing the ridership dynamics to exponential/extra-gear vs. incremental increases.

And it fucks with the most goddamn gimme extension they could mount! Seriously...buy property in downtown Norwood if Foxboro and 2x'ed service out to Walpole is a go. It's gonna be the next Brockton for exurban mid-density transit accessibility and transit dependency. If they don't lard up Kraft with too many giveaways this is one of the rare ones that can pay down its capital costs quickly with profit. It will need six-pack trains a goodly portion of the day. And they want to lower that capacity to find some/any excuse to run the vehicles they're hot to buy but won't run on the services they explicitly are buying them to run? Brilliant!

[/this fuckin' bureaucracy, I swear]

Last edited:

That Islington ridership is a false report, I suspect, based on previous years. Someone at the T swapped the Hyde Park and Islington numbers (probably because they'd be adjacent in an alphabetical table). It's more like 200 a day. But that doesn't affect the meat of your argument - it still might be the best no-parking station on the system.

Last edited:

Back