Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

RFK stadium in DC was not a catalyst for anything. The same cannot be said for the Verizon Center in downtown DC, which has spearheaded the redevelopment of an entire neighborhood. But Verizon Center is akin to the Garden, not Gillette.

Gillette has space for nearly 17,000 cars. Where would one find similar space for that many cars in South Boston, and to be filled at most 12 times a year for football? (The low frequency use would make a garage a big money-loser.) The parking cap on spaces for all of South Boston is about 30,000, so I don't know how the cap and the need for thousands of new, additional spaces for a football stadium could be married together.

This is where the city & state could have restructured and expand the entire T-System to South Boston, Orange, Red, Blue, Green and Buses. With this and underground parking garages we would be fine.

This would be alot of money but in the end it add serious value to the Boston Transporation system. Make it very easy access throughout the city on the T-system.

The only tax break they would have to give for the Patriots is helping to build a unique neighborhood around the stadium. Kraft would be able to get private investors to build the stadium & Patriots place.

Well I'm sure there are plenty of instances of his stupidity. But a Kendall Sq by the sea has a lot of good to it. Sure from a street life perspective Kendall sq is still lame right now. Architecture could be better and the same can be said about the Seaport. But trying to replicate Kendall Sq from an economic perspective is awsome. Kendall Sq pretty much created the bio-tech industry. Its a multi billion dollar industry. Trying to create another atmosphere like that, where brilliant minds come to create, is a smart move. I believe we have the excess brain power to fill in another part of town. And like I said earlier, if even just one start up becomes succesfull, it could solidify the name and then it goes from a PR ploy to a branded image/location. It beomes a mini silicon valley, if you will. If that happens it will be viewed as a good part to Menino's legacy.

Well I'm sure there are plenty of instances of his stupidity. But a Kendall Sq by the sea has a lot of good to it. Sure from a street life perspective Kendall sq is still lame right now. Architecture could be better and the same can be said about the Seaport. But trying to replicate Kendall Sq from an economic perspective is awsome. Kendall Sq pretty much created the bio-tech industry. Its a multi billion dollar industry. Trying to create another atmosphere like that, where brilliant minds come to create, is a smart move. I believe we have the excess brain power to fill in another part of town. And like I said earlier, if even just one start up becomes succesfull, it could solidify the name and then it goes from a PR ploy to a branded image/location. It beomes a mini silicon valley, if you will. If that happens it will be viewed as a good part to Menino's legacy.

Right now Menino's legacy is that if it wasn't for the college boom we would be living in Detriot. The only reason Boston has been successful for so long is because of the college expansion. BU, Tufts, BC, Harvard, Emerson, Suffolk, Ect....Overall

#1 Downtown looks like a disaster
#2 Seaport District still continues to have nothing to offer
#3 Fan Pier See (#2)
#4 Boston's Skyline is nothing innovative
#5 Public Education in the city is a disaster....
#6 Somebody is shot and killed everyday in Roxbury, Mattapan, or Dorchester
#7 suffocating private industry with tax breaks to certain companies that have no right to be given (Liberty Mutual Insurance company)
#8 The BRA will be consider the Mayor's political arm that created bureaucracy for political fraud and corruption for certain favored business?s and did not create balance for the city of Boston.
The BRA will end up being dismantled.
#9 Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is a complete scam..
#10 BID, Non-profit companies to be taxed, Hospital taxe's (Basically extorting money at will) .

In reality he will go down as another political hack who thought he was sometype of wannabe Mobster. Can't wait to the prison term they give this clown. Mumbles will be crying in his cell...... why me.

I agree things could have been better and the amount of colleges here makes things easier. I myself want a new mayor, but have to give him credit. I'd have to say all and all Boston experienced good times during his tenure. Compare us to any other city, we fair very well, and thats how he will go down.

It always look good if you can't compare it to the grearter progress of what-ifs.

I agree things could have been better and the amount of colleges here makes things easier. I myself want a new mayor, but have to give him credit. I'd have to say all and all Boston experienced good times during his tenure. Compare us to any other city, we fair very well, and thats how he will go down.

We could have had a monkey in charge and things would have been good. Going back to my post. THE PRIVATE COLLEGES had the biggest boom in history. Unprecedented amounts of money in endowments.

Harvard pratically owns Cambridges.

I'm not for a South Boston Stadium, but if one was built, there would be no need to create any parking. It would be a short walk from South Station. Fenway Park does fine without any on-site parking.

We should put the stadium underground within the Washington/Franklin/Arch(?)/Summer block. Build One Franklin over it. You could get to it from the Orange, Red, and Green line without coming above ground. And if they would make a little 200 foot passenger tunnel, you could walk directly to/from the Blue Line without transfer.

And maybe then places would want to locate at DTX.

Estimated price tag: $1 quadrillion

Just want to get this straight that endowments for private institutes comes from alumnis and donors, not from the government.

Just want to get this straight that endowments for private institutes comes from alumnis and donors, not from the government.

I might be wrong but when the Govt gives money to universities or corporations it's called GOVT GRANTS. I think Endowments were just from alumnis, donors, and gifts.
Who knows? the laws change every week for this type of stuff.

I might be wrong but when the Govt gives money to universities or corporations it's called GOVT GRANTS. I think Endowments were just from alumnis, donors, and gifts.

Who knows? the laws change every week for this type of stuff.

Government grants are given to students, not to the university itself. They are distributed to the university as payment for tuition. If the student end up with surplus due to a for example scholarship, the grant can be refunded to the student. Also grants can be taken away if the student is on co-op or internship. But again, endowment was at a all-time high because of donors and alumnis with no help from the government whatsoever.

Boston-Fusion-2.jpg

Has anyone seen this project? http://inhabitat.com/dazzling-check...side-to-south-bosto/boston-fusion-1/?extend=1

By these guys? http://www.bayarch.dk/

Where did this come from?

LOL..........Looks like the architecture firm employees are high on Mushrooms.

If the city had more going on in Architecture it probably wouldn't look that bad. But we have no unique buildings which makes it stand out completely. This would be a complete disaster for Fan Pier.

In reality they still put up Harbor Towers, City Hall, congress St garage. Those structures are astrocious.

Echoing BYMH, where did this come from? I'm assuming it has no support from the parcel owners? Or... does... it... ?

Whatever this is, it's been picked up by the Huffington Post.

My favorite line from the copy:

"Boston Fusion is part of a large development plan for a new green quarter in Boston, which will be called South Boston."

That is Parcel A, Seaport Square. I just posted the ACTUAL project as it is moving forward this year.

I'm not for a South Boston Stadium, but if one was built, there would be no need to create any parking. It would be a short walk from South Station. Fenway Park does fine without any on-site parking.

There are quite a few lots around Fenway, albeit small ones. Then again, you would have twice the number of fans attending a Pats game than a Sox game and a good number of people drive to Pats games from Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. So having lots would be needed.

Robotics firm relocating to Hub?s Innovation District
By Herald Staff
Friday, January 28, 2011 - Updated 1 hour ago

Heartland Robotics, a robot designer and manufacturer, is moving its corporate headquarters to Boston?s Innovation District.

The company, which had been based in Cambridge, recently raised $20 million in financing and is now moving into an expansion phase that requires more office space, the company said.

Heartland said it is developing a new generation of robots to improve productivity in manufacturing environments.

?We are moving forward aggressively in developing our products and expanding our team,? said Scott Eckert, president and CEO, in a statement. ?In order to attract the world-class talent that we need, we wanted a terrific office space, in a vibrant part of the city, and easily accessible by public transportation.?

Heartland?s new headquarters is the building known as Tower Point @ A Street, located on Wormwood Street in a renovated late 19th century brick-and-beam building. Heartland is moving 30 employees to the Innovation District and expects to expand to 50 employees by year?s end, the company said.

The move comes on the heels of a decision by Cambridge-based Vertex Pharmaceuticals to lease a pair of two as-yet-unbuilt 18-story office towers in the Innovation District on Fan Pier. The Vertex deal is contingent upon on Food and Drug Administration approval of telaprevir, Vertex?s drug to treat hepatitis C.

?The Innovation District is quickly becoming a model for the country for how to rebuild the economy around new and growing industries,? said Mayor Thomas M. Menino in a statement. ?Heartland Robotics is the type of ground-breaking company that will add to the vitality of the district and demonstrate how innovators and entrepreneurs in Boston are changing the world.?

-tgrillo@bostonherald.com

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...s_innovation_district/srvc=home&position=also

Holy Shit the Mayor is ON FIRE.

?The Innovation District is quickly becoming a model for the country for how to rebuild the economy around new and growing industries,? said Mayor Thomas M. Menino

How is this building a model for the rest of the country when all they are doing is convincing companies to relocate from Cambridge?

This "Innovation District" structure at 27-43 Wormwood is the brick wharf building at the Fort Point smokestack, circa 1915, and fully tenanted every year for the past 15 years. The former tenant that moved out was something like the MA Correctional Facility administrative staff. Another tenant currently in the building is known as "The Test Center."

Back