Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

Oh yeah. I hadn't thought of that. I knew it was a stupid question.

Maybe I'm wrong but with below grade parking I would guess the foundations go well below the floor of the original filled tideland.

I'm not asking for anyone to post content from behind the Banker and Tradesman paywall, but could someone confirm if there is a new rendering there?

fZR5C.jpg

Well, the era of being able to lie on the street in the seaport district is over.

Looking for absolute silence, water views and not a soul around you?

It's over.

R.I.P reflection district.

The city’s booming South Boston waterfront has drawn a tidal wave of visitors, dramatically boosting the MBTA’s Silver Line link to the Hub’s new frontier, the Herald has learned.

“When I drove through Seaport last Memorial Day, it was a ghost town,” said Legal Sea Foods’ CEO Roger Berkowitz, who recently opened Legal Harborside, the chain’s flagship restaurant on Northern Avenue. “This year, it was the exact opposite. Streets were teeming with people as if the Tall Ships were in town.”

Ridership for the first six months of this year on the two Silver Line bus routes that serve the waterfront from South Station is up by nearly 6 percent on weekdays, 14 percent on Sundays and a whopping 61 percent on Saturdays, according to the T’s latest figures. Officials credit jobs created by new companies, an increase in housing and a flood of restaurants in the past year that is attracting people on the weekends.

Full article:
http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1354356&position=0

Just imagine when the place is fully built out.

Can the SL handle it? Nope. Then again, is there any form of signaling? Is the minimum headway essentially bumper to bumper traffic?

And here we go.

Note: yes, there is a giant black blob on my lens. I dont know why. Went to camera repair store in Arlington and he said the problem was inside, so $150 repair bill.

I said no thank you.

Enjoy.

IMG_0125.jpg

Boat docks are being well patronized

IMG_0128.jpg

Say goodbye to this view

IMG_0129-1.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Road was narrowed.

Fans of the cobblestone + train tracks weep...theyre all gone now.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

The stairs have been relocated!

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Can the SL handle it? Nope. Then again, is there any form of signaling? Is the minimum headway essentially bumper to bumper traffic?

Thats one huge advantage buses have over trains.

Because of idiocy, trains are crippled with stupid signaling systems, automatic breaking, rules like 10mph street crossings, one train in a station at a time etc etc

Buses? Literally bumper to bumper, 70mph speed limit, as many buses as you can squeeze into a station, no limitations on street crossings, no signalling systems besides traffic lights...

I wish they would get rid of those fences in the middle of the street and add more cross walks.

If the trend continues, and the area becomes truly bustling and vibrant, the SL will see an LRT conversion for the Design Center line (at least I hope).

Thats one huge advantage buses have over trains.

Because of idiocy, trains are crippled with stupid signaling systems, automatic breaking, rules like 10mph street crossings, one train in a station at a time etc etc

Buses? Literally bumper to bumper, 70mph speed limit, as many buses as you can squeeze into a station, no limitations on street crossings, no signalling systems besides traffic lights...

Jass, I would take the orange, Red and Blue lines over the buses anyday of the week. When I used to take them to school they used to buzz through the city much more efficient than riding a bus in bumper to bumper traffic.......I believe this is one of their worst mistakes the city, state and T officials have made by not creating a undeground T for the Seaport...........
Just look at riding the redline through Cambridge and somerville.

Redline Stops through MIT, Kendall, Harvard, Davis, and look at these areas......priceless, easy access, very educated people living around the here. Very desirable, Look how bad real estate is doing and these areas have not even budged with a decline in values.

Why do you keep saying that the Silver Line is not underground in the Seaport?

You really can't compare the Silver line with the Red, Blue, Orange line. Riding on a bus compared to jumping on the train is completely different...

I'm talking connecting the RED, or blue underground to the SEAPORT. Forget the Siliver line driving around underground or above.

I think he's referring to actual heavy or light rail underground, but (as you've pointed out) the silver line in the Seaport is hardly a "bus" anyways because it IS underground. It's pretty much a 1-car light-rail system disguised as a bus. The only reason bus vehicles are used is because of Logan and the SL reigns as the most convenient way to get to and from Logan. The BL connection is VERY weak compared to other cities.

Rifleman, have you even ever ridden the Silver Line in the Seaport? Its headways are actually better than the actual rapid-transit system.

Riding on a bus compared to jumping on the train is completely different...

How so? I go through a fare gate and wait on an underground platform at World Trade Center ... same thing I'd do at Davis Square or Forest Hills.

Rifleman, have you even ever ridden the Silver Line in the Seaport? Its headways are actually better than the actual rapid-transit system.

I took the Silver line once near the Downtown area.......It was a nice bus in my opinion. I did not ride it into the Seaport area and did not stay on long.

How so? I go through a fare gate and wait on an underground platform at World Trade Center ... same thing I'd do at Davis Square or Forest Hills.

I'm not talking about waiting........I'm talking about riding. When I'm on the train I feel like its just more efficieint. But you have to remember I only rode the silver line once in my life. I just like the feel for the Orange, Blue and Redlines once you jump on it takes minutes to get to your stops that are very positioned in the city.

Ok, so case in point... you're making these statements and judgments about the Silver Line despite never even riding it through the area we are talking about. Yes, the street level SL is horrible, but the Seaport is an entirely different story. Until World Trade Center, the SL is entirely underground in its own dedicated tunnel.

There's an architecturally world-class station (something you'd expect at a train hub in Europe) on this line. You would have no idea that there are actually just dedicated buses below:
MBTA_Courthouse_Station.jpg

Courthouse was designed this way in anticipation of Fan Pier development, as it is the closest station.

My problem with the SL - whether bus or rail - is that it's a stub line so long as it only connects to South Station - since if your destination is the seaport, you must as well walk to many locations once you're at SS. (And no, the integration with SL Dudley was never a viable or useful option in my opinion, especially aslong as the whole thing was to stay BRT.) The current "line" we have won't be truly valuable until it connects in with the Green Line or somehow continues up along the Greenway making connections with other lines (e.g. at Aquarium, Haymarket or N Station).

Ok, so case in point... you're making these statements and judgments about the Silver Line despite never even riding it through the area we are talking about. Yes, the street level SL is horrible, but the Seaport is an entirely different story. Until World Trade Center, the SL is entirely underground in its own dedicated tunnel.

Courthouse was designed this way in anticipation of Fan Pier development, as it is the closest station.

"Yes, the street level SL is horrible" That is my point............thats it. Yes I have never taken the silverline underground. I usually just see the Silverlines sitting in traffic. So my case in point is the put the entire system UNDERGROUND so we can have less TRAFFIC.

That would be ideal....
The SL at the waterfront will be fine when there is build out. It will continue to suck from Silver Line Way and beyond. Why? Because it's above ground and has loops, and lights, and the driver gets off or changes at SLW.
It's a great way to get to Logan from South Station, but I hate taking it back from Logan. Mostly because I usually fly out of and into Terminal A, so it's a long wait to actually leave the airport once on it, because you need to stop at all other terminals and deal with buses, taxis, etc.
If coming back from international flights, I'm sure it's great because you are at Terminal E.
As I work in Fort Point, I don't have much use for it, because I can walk everywhere it serves. But, when my cousin flys into town, I don't have to pick him up, just tell him to take the SL to Courthouse and meet him there.
Full tunnel from Dudley to Airport is a pipe dream if there ever was one. It is ideal. But cost prohibitive for a bankrupt authority, and an area that will never forget the big dig. Opposition to that would be astronomical.

Back