Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

Jefff -- that somehow seems at variance with the fact that "Big Box" and other restaurants keep opening

It is virtually all a drive up, drop off, valet or taxi or limo crowd. So the big box restaurants do not add real street life. No one strolls through the Seaport side streets. (They do on the Harborwalk in nice weather.)

I agree Babbo is a nice place, but it does not generate any street presence. And I was particularly commenting on the side streets around the Vertex buildings, with the big box Babbo, Committee, Strega Waterfront and Empire.

It is virtually all a drive up, drop off, valet or taxi or limo crowd. So the big box restaurants do not add real street life. No one strolls through the Seaport side streets. (They do on the Harborwalk in nice weather.)

I agree Babbo is a nice place, but it does not generate any street presence. And I was particularly commenting on the side streets around the Vertex buildings, with the big box Babbo, Committee, Strega Waterfront and Empire.

I would guess once the park is complete at the end of Fan Pier street life will pick up on the side streets. Also the additional apartment completions should add more street life. People dont like to walk around construction sites, other than weirdos on architecture blogs.... i kid

The streets at ground level feel really dead, even with the scattered "big box" restaurants. No other retail, no neighborhood services...

I agree with this.
They continue to build but there is no city life on the street level yet.

Hopefully this changes when the entire area builds up. I'm not sure yet.

Every time im in the seaport theres a lot of people in the pier 4 and legal seafoods areas. I agree with the poster who mentioned that people do not really like hanging around construction areas. I would at least hold off until one seaport square is done, that will be a good measuring stick for the future.

33966551885_bd83b4bbee_b.jpg

Beautiful photo!

Is Thompson Place/Fan Pier Blvd. at Seaport Blvd. becoming a signalized intersection? Once One Seaport Square finishes construction, that will most likely become a pretty busy intersection.

With the northern ave bridge closed and all the construction fan pier is currently an island. Hopefully when the cross streets reopen the area will appear more permiable, and encourage the kind of foot traffic you see further down by legals.

It's also COLD down there in the winter. Street life in the seaport is very seasonal, let's wait to see what happens once it's warm, all the restaurants patios are open, and people want to spend more then two seconds next to a windy harbor.

Amazing shot. I feel all the area is missing is one signature building. IE: The Peirce in the Fenway

I love the step back effect they're employing here. Really have to with a height cap to keep the skyline interesting. This is a great angle. Really looks good here and its coming into its own as its own skyline separate from downtown. It also blends nice from distance skyline shots. The density is really helping pull the skyline south.

If they would just do the right thing and build my bridge this place would be nothing to mess with. I put so much thought and effort into designing that the way I did, they're going to have to build that if they do replace it.

^^i always wondered if the Court would eventually make more sense.

that perspective makes a fair case, imo.

i never bought into this area being some sacred/iconic waterfront worthy of a nimby-friendly approach....

for me, that perspective only bolsters my crass perspective.

Also nice to see One Marina Park Drive getting lost amongst the crowd now.

Yes it is. Itll soon be surrounded on all sides except for the glass side....thank god. Ground level is good enough that if you dont look up its not too bad so that combined with only the glass side being exposed is a major bullet dodged for Boston.

I remember when 1MPD was the only tower over there. It was so sad. Just this lonely disgusting turd hanging on for dear life off in the corner surrounded by parking lots. If anyone ever wanted to bitch about the seaport that was the time, not now. That area is billions of times better than it was.

Getting back to Fan Pier itself, I think this area has been put together better than any other piece so far. Part of that is the location, as the views are great from the harborwalk but you have ground level retail, lots of activity, a couple of green spaces, a marina, and some diversity in the architecture if not the height which is governed by the airport. There's a few more spots left to infill but Seaport Blvd is shaping up pretty nicely from the Moakley bridge down to Liberty Wharf. Summer St? - not so much...

Back