Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

17067901076_2a1f73cbf2_b.jpg

Elkus as per usual. Orientation appears to be slightly different from the "placeholder" seen in renders of 22 Liberty.

The new building would include 15,000 square feet of civic and retail space, including areas used by the New England Aquarium, Boston Children's Museum and the Boston Harbor Island Alliance.

So there goes the three ideas Pier 4's people had for their civic space, all at once.

The plans are being reviewed by the Boston Civic Design Commission, which reviews the aesthetics of significant developments. At a recent meeting, members discussed refining the sculptural qualities of the tower and improving the base's relationship to Fan Pier Boulevard, which runs between the building and Twenty Two Liberty

Good on them. Why can't they review every building! Isn't every piece of the urban fabric "significant"?

If these quotes go against the Banker & Tradesman rules previously established on this site, let me know. It's such a short article, it's hard not to quote most of it.

Look at that -- there's no more gap between Fan Pier and the older Seaport Place complex. I remember when One Marina Place Dr. was going up and Boston02124 would take loads of pics from this angle thinking how vast the gap seemed and wondering how long it would take for the area to look cohesive. Now I know
oQWzjo.png

I'm kicking myself for not having my camera when I was in terminal A at logan. You can get some good shots of the Seaport District from there.

Mmm. I spent 20 minutes trying to find another copy of that image to no avail. I'll Tweet the BRA to see if they will be putting them online anytime soon. I don't think the Design Committee posts things on their websites?

Although a plateau-skyline is disappointing, what really matters is what happens at the ground level. You can have a successful neighborhood with a uniform height and a successful city with a uniform height if you take a look at Washington. What is going to sink the Seaport (long before climate change) is the crappy grid layout, lack of mixed use, and unwelcoming streets.

A plateau would also unlikely be mentioned with better architecture. Fort Point looks great despite everything being at near the same height.

Agreed. This is not Paris, but Paris demonstrates that a plateau can work quite well. American examples include DC, and parts of Los Angeles. I do hope we get some variation that steps back from this first grouping, but proximity to the airport has pros to go along with the height restriction cons.

17067901076_2a1f73cbf2_b.jpg

Elkus as per usual.

Um, thanks, Elkus. Not really.

If there were more rotting concrete and less glass this would look like an aging 1960s Hyatt from Honululu or Miami, or perhaps a commieblock-style housing project in the Bronx or any Soviet/satellite city.

wow! nice little city on the Harbor! never thought I see the day! thanks fo sharing

Golden -- I think you've got an early version of a future "Iconic View" of the Seaport / Innovation district suitable for tourist postcards, etc.

wait for a couple of more buildings in the Seaport Square

and perhaps shift the vantage point more toward the left to show the ICA and the new Pier 4 when its finished

Whats everyones thoughts on how Fan Pier Evolved?
Positives & Negatives?

To me it looks a lot like Kendall Square on the Water. Better than I thought.

I wish Kendall had that density or height.
Much better mixed use development than anything in Cambridge at this time.

It's a good cluster. The second residential building and possible third residential/hotel will hopefully continue to add people.

Even better will be how it stops being such a dense island in a land of parking lots, but becomes assimilated into the actual burgeoning neighborhood taking shape. Parcels B & C will really start tying this into Seaport Square and the existing Fort Point neighborhoods. You can already see that the Element is starting to do that from the view above. 800 new units at B&C will really start helping this become a new (extension of) neighborhood.

Whats everyones thoughts on how Fan Pier Evolved?
Positives & Negatives?

To me it looks a lot like Kendall Square on the Water. Better than I thought.

The streets at ground level feel really dead, even with the scattered "big box" restaurants. No other retail, no neighborhood services...

The streets at ground level feel really dead, even with the scattered "big box" restaurants. No other retail, no neighborhood services...

Jefff -- that somehow seems at variance with the fact that "Big Box" and other restaurants keep opening

Back