Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

Best 2015 lipstick on a pig award

In a statement to Boston.com, owner Debi Greenberg said of her decision, “Business is on point at our current location with steady year-over-year growth, but after 25 years of extensive travel to Paris, London and New York five months a year in search of the world’s finest clothing, it is simply time to change direction and turn my attention to projects and passions outside the retail arena.”

http://www.boston.com/business/news...story.html?p1=Topofpage:Carousel_sub_headline

In the Globe piece(http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/01/09/louis-boston-close-after-more-than-years/Awhfe7HCF1gORkcYzBkPEI/story.html) it has the following:
"Joseph F. Fallon, the developer of Louis’ Fan Pier location, wants to redevelop the space, Greenberg said. She said it has always been a temporary location and Fallon offered to relocate the store to 22 Liberty, a 111--unit luxury condominium building next door, she said. But at age 59, Greenberg said she didn’t want to sign a long-term lease and instead elected to retire."

I think it was the arrival of Barney's that killed Louis. I have no idea which is the better store but I don't think Loius stood a chance againt Barney's status. Remember she claimed she was leaving the Back Bay because it had gone down hill.

Last edited:
thats a shame. i never bought anything (way too expensive), but it was cool to have such a high end local business.

In the Globe piece(http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/01/09/louis-boston-close-after-more-than-years/Awhfe7HCF1gORkcYzBkPEI/story.html) it has the following:
"Joseph F. Fallon, the developer of Louis’ Fan Pier location, wants to redevelop the space, Greenberg said. She said it has always been a temporary location and Fallon offered to relocate the store to 22 Liberty, a 111--unit luxury condominium building next door, she said. But at age 59, Greenberg said she didn’t want to sign a long-term lease and instead elected to retire."

Bingo -- Joe just bought her short term lease to let him grab the gold while the fire is hot to mix a metaphor

If things continue -- I would expect a short lifetime for District Hall as well

On a side note, the top of 20 MPD had scrolling letters that spelled “Go Patriots”. I thought it was neat. I was wondering if Fan Pier and Seaport were supposed to be this glitzy, illuminated district or something else.

On a side note, the top of 20 MPD had scrolling letters that spelled “Go Patriots”. I thought it was neat. I was wondering if Fan Pier and Seaport were supposed to be this glitzy, illuminated district or something else.

Pei -- its the closest we're gonna come to "Vegas-000-baby" ;) especially since its within eye-shot of the big screen outside the BCEC that even does video

Pei -- its the closest we're gonna come to "Vegas-000-baby" ;) especially since its within eye-shot of the big screen outside the BCEC that even does video

There's some big ol LED board's at the district hall you mentioned earlier. (Also, you're right although not a prognosticator, as district hall has always had a short shelf life. Basically another 10 year max building.)

nice line up of the buildings Beeline, unsure I like the dark glass apt building right on the harbor though.

Look at that -- there's no more gap between Fan Pier and the older Seaport Place complex. I remember when One Marina Place Dr. was going up and Boston02124 would take loads of pics from this angle thinking how vast the gap seemed and wondering how long it would take for the area to look cohesive. Now I know
oQWzjo.png

Last edited:
wondering how long it would take for the area to look cohesive.
"Cohesive" used very loosely. IMHO, we're still waiting for it to look cohesive (and might be forever).

It's definitely filled in a bit, which is a good thing.

Cohesive as in there's a consistent rhythm of stump/space/stump/space just like the existing stuff further down Seaport Blvd. And yes I'm being overly optimistic :eek: ;)

Little boxes, by the seaside
Little boxes, made of ticky-tacky...

I know economics says that they should build to the maximum that they can for profit reasons, but I wish some of the buildings would be shorter to add some variety and character to the area. It will probably never happen though.

People sure do complain a lot about building heights being all the same, but, though it's not saying much, 22 Liberty is shorter, the remaining two parcels on Fan Pier are planned to be shorter (I think), the remaining two parcels of Pier 4 are planned to drop down parcel-by-parcel, the One Seaport Square buildings will both be taller than everything else and of different heights than one another, Watermark Seaport has two different heights, both of which are shorter than 101 Seaport Blvd, everything planned along Seaport Blvd nearest to FP Channel is shorter, there will be a couple much smaller buildings in the Memorial Park, and the hotel they're wrapping up is fewer stories too. "It will probably never happen"? It is happening. I don't love how the Seaport looks today, but it's not a done deal yet.

Although a plateau-skyline is disappointing, what really matters is what happens at the ground level. You can have a successful neighborhood with a uniform height and a successful city with a uniform height if you take a look at Washington. What is going to sink the Seaport (long before climate change) is the crappy grid layout, lack of mixed use, and unwelcoming streets.

A plateau would also unlikely be mentioned with better architecture. Fort Point looks great despite everything being at near the same height.

Back