Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

It's like our very own Jersey City to NYC.

Fun fact: Jersey City's tallest building is the Goldman Sachs building, at 781ft. That is only 9 feet shorter than Boston's tallest, the John Hancock, at 790ft.

So Boston is its own Jersey City.

Fun fact: Jersey City's tallest building is the Goldman Sachs building, at 781ft. That is only 9 feet shorter than Boston's tallest, the John Hancock, at 790ft.

So Boston is its own Jersey City.

Don't insult us like that. Cambridge Ma is the biotech mecca of the world.

If anything Eastie/Chelsea/Everett are our Hoboken/Jersey City/Newark, with Lynn nicely filling in for Passaic.

Geographically closer to the downtown, and yet because of poor transit and walk/bike connections they are far less desirable to live in then All/Bright (Queens), Cambridge/Somerville (Brooklyn), and Roxy/Dot (Bronx), which are for the most part further away from the downtown core.

With this example, im pegging Waltham as Westchester and Quincy as Staten Island.

If anything Eastie/Chelsea/Everett are our Hoboken/Jersey City/Newark, with Lynn nicely filling in for Passaic.

Geographically closer to the downtown, and yet because of poor transit and walk/bike connections they are far less desirable to live in then All/Bright (Queens), Cambridge/Somerville (Brooklyn), and Roxy/Dot (Bronx), which are for the most part further away from the downtown core.

With this example, im pegging Waltham as Westchester and Quincy as Staten Island.

So tell me where Malden and Revere stand?

Why can't we just be Boston? Stop trying to force comparisons our neighborhoods are distinct in and of themselves and don't need to be the (Insert geographical area) of Boston.

Nicely done.

Everett = Newark, yes. Lynn = Passaic, yes. Ditto for the Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island comparisons.

Westchester is a county made up of many cities and towns, from New Rochelle or Port Chester (not nice places) to Larchmont (very affluent). Westchester is more like Middlesex County, with Waltham the White Plains equivalent.

Unlike Eastie and Chelsea, Hoboken is fairly nice and Jersey City has parts that can't really be called nice as they are so sterile, new-build and alucobonded, but are at least full of professionals. Not sure if we really have equivalents for them; maybe Watertown as a miniaturized Jersey City.

Nicely done.

Everett = Newark, yes. Lynn = Passaic, yes. Ditto for the Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island comparisons.

Westchester is a county made up of many cities and towns, from New Rochelle or Port Chester (not nice places) to Larchmont (very affluent). Westchester is more like Middlesex County, with Waltham the White Plains equivalent.

Unlike Eastie and Chelsea, Hoboken is fairly nice and Jersey City has parts that can't really be called nice as they are so sterile, new-build and alucobonded, but are at least full of professionals. Not sure if we really have equivalents for them; maybe Watertown as a miniaturized Jersey City.

With eastie and chelsea I was thinking more along the lines of "up and coming, yet never quite get there" then physical condition. The nice parts of hoboken could be akin to Jeffries Point for instance.

With westchester, im from west-of-hudson, so its always been one big group of sprawl with some urban centers to me. (Also why im pretty good with NJ cities) You are correct however in your comparisons.

Coleslaw, believe it or not, Boston is not all that unique in its developmental and demographical patterns. So like it or not, it does have a lot in common with other cities, particularly NYC. Besides, I was just having some fun before someone got this thread re-railed.

Edit: I came off a bit stronger then I intended there. Its just weird and slightly frustrating how most Bostonians are so sensitive to comparing themselves to anything, ever.

Last edited:
^^^^
Davem gotta ask you about classification towards these towns near Boston: Woburn, Stoneham, Melrose, Reading, Winchester and Wakefield?

This is some good stuff.

^^^^
Davem gotta ask you about classification towards these towns near Boston: Woburn, Stoneham, Melrose, Reading, Winchester and Wakefield?

This is some good stuff.

I don't really know any of them well enough to really make a good comparison. Itchy might though.

I did reconsider on Malden. Its more like Rutherford. Newton is what's like Englewood Heights.

Sorry, guys, I've just-about exhausted my knowledge of the Greater NY area. I know the Boston suburbs very well, but not so much the NYC ones.

Woburn/Winchester = White Plains/Scarsdale in many ways.

Marblehead = Rye?

Woburn is most like Livingston NJ. while Winchester Lexington etc. would be most like Summit, Millburn and Far Hills. Most of the money in the Tri-State area if not out on Long Island will be found in New Jersey. One of the best things about Boston is the uninterrupted charm of it's suburbs. One town after another from the North Shore to the South. With the NY area you will find only pockets, the same is true for Philadelphia. The Virginia side of DC is quit familiar to what you have in Boston. I don't know much about Baltimore but have heard nice things about the Chesapeake.

Aerial

10064928876_6bfa23915d_b.jpg

Ugh... I like comparing Boston to other places much more than the next average Bostonian, but can we keep that to the general forum or something??

Back