Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

amazeing how much empty space still exist,this whole area(Fan Pier) was supposed to be already built up years ago,yet a lot was built around it 1st

Is that the back of the ICA on the far right? It looks like a warehouse.

Yes that is the ICA. It does not look to me like a warehouse, if you mean the redbrick ones in Fort Point a few blocks away.

I've always found the back of the ICA to be hideous. It's not even super attractive from the front to me (a poor rip-off/homage to the front of the convention center), but it does look much better at night.

I always figured they put no effort into the back and some of the sides, as it was always planned to have bigger buildings wrapping around it on 3 sides (between Fan Pier and the Pier 4 developments.

The front is not bad, and makes its statement. The rest does indeed look like a warehouse Ron. Just not a 100 year old one, like the rest of Fort Point. It looks like something General Steel will pre-fab for you. A box with poor finishes.

The glass on fan pier just looks unnatural its so damn turquoise. It's really in my opinion the worst part of this building.

fanpier.jpg

Boston, Arizona / Phoenix, Massachusetts

Shall we pre-emptively thank the BRA for the One Marina Park lookalike that is going to be gracing the site of the Aquarium garage once something is built there in 20-30 years?

4458265247_70254e2d1f_b.jpg

4459046558_e94319b365_b.jpg

Well looks like we're fucked. That is some sorry looking boring ass shlock right there. Not that the ICA was much of a looker but now it will be drowned out my mediocrity. Way to go Boston!

"Let's build the city in a way that we already know doesn't work."
"Sounds good"

Awesome shots thanks Frank. The aerial of the Fort Point area speaks volumes to what Fan Pier could have been.

Is it just me or does the narrower tower set to be behind and to the right of the ICA look like a mini- W Hotel building?

Anyway, this just another tower in the park complex. wonderful

Stump City, USA.

Are they actually planning on keeping the Louis Boston Autohaus there permanently?

Guys, this place is directly across the harbor from one of the biggest airports in the country. I can understand being pissed off that the Back Bay and Financial District are turning into Stump City USA. But here?

The density is alright. But the designs are boring.

I agree, the designs are fairly uninteresting, but then so are the designs across the way at fort point. When I look a the FP aerial and compare it with the Fan Pier models, I see two fairly similar configurations, the only significant difference being the construction era. Low cost, utilitarian, medium density. Why do people like one but not the other?

Guys, this place is directly across the harbor from one of the biggest airports in the country...

What does this have to do with each building having an acre-and-a-half-plus footprint?

I agree, the designs are fairly uninteresting, but then so are the designs across the way at fort point. When I look a the FP aerial and compare it with the Fan Pier models, I see two fairly similar configurations, the only significant difference being the construction era. Low cost, utilitarian, medium density. Why do people like one but not the other?

I think briv indirectly answered your question above.

What does this have to do with each building having an acre-and-a-half-plus footprint?

The lack of height forces the developer seek a large footprint to increase buildable square footage for each building. Unfortunately it is driven by the financials of the underwriting and since the high land cost is included they were forced to max out the FAR given any height limits for the area, in order to make the project pencil. If this same project were to be underwritten today, I'm sure you'd see a different product (if any development at all!).

Back