Fantasy T maps

(That said, the original Maverick seems to be known solely for being the region’s first slave owner, one seen as cruel and sexually abusive even by his contemporaries. That name seems particularly grotesque. It is true that the square/neighborhood itself now has given that name a separate history and perhaps that is enough to justify keeping it. I think this situation is different than Ruggles or Lechmere, and I do think it’s worth having a conversation about. Not right now though — probably best to wait until the T is less broken.)
That's fair enough. I see you've called it Zipporah on your map, who/where/what did you get the name from?

That's fair enough. I see you've called it Zipporah on your map, who/where/what did you get the name from?
The first African American to own land in Boston. (Really it should be Atkins, since that was her surname (or her original surname, Potter), but I thought that Googling “zipporah boston” would get clearer results than “atkins boston”, and so would be better "marketing" for this general idea in its early stage. If it got serious momentum, it would be worth giving careful thought to the best way to identify and recognize her.)

Another name I considered for Maverick was "Walker", after David Walker, a black abolitionist whose “Appeal to the Colored Citizens of the World” was so revolutionary that it was essentially banned in the South.

The first African American to own land in Boston. (Really it should be Atkins, since that was her surname (or her original surname, Potter), but I thought that Googling “zipporah boston” would get clearer results than “atkins boston”, and so would be better "marketing" for this general idea in its early stage. If it got serious momentum, it would be worth giving careful thought to the best way to identify and recognize her.)

Another name I considered for Maverick was "Walker", after David Walker, a black abolitionist whose “Appeal to the Colored Citizens of the World” was so revolutionary that it was essentially banned in the South.
I think these would both be good people to name things after, my only concern is that as far as I can tell they don't have any relationship to East Boston. Maybe I'm overthinking the importance of how local the names need to be, but I've always picked people from the same neighborhood if I've needed a name for a hypothetical station in Boston.

I think these would both be good people to name things after, my only concern is that as far as I can tell they don't have any relationship to East Boston. Maybe I'm overthinking the importance of how local the names need to be, but I've always picked people from the same neighborhood if I've needed a name for a hypothetical station in Boston.
Yeah, it’s a fair point, and it touches on the larger question of “city identity and heritage” vs the neighborhood equivalent.

Back