Federal Funds for South Station Expansion

Re: Fend Funds for South Station Expansion

Grand Central has a nice waiting area and station in general , so the fact that there platforms are covered doesn't mean much.....same with 30th Street in Philly or Newark Penn which is covered... New York Penn Station is different , the whole station is depressing and thus hated.... South Station is generally diesel which is different from Grand Central or New York Penn , the fumes build up and are bad for your health.....if this were a fully Electric network I don't think people would be having issues with covering the platforms....but I don't think people want another Back Bay station.

I pass through Back Bay station at least twice a day. The biggest issue with the diesel locomotives is the noise. The other problem with Back Bay is that everything about the building is dreary and run-down. Generally speaking, the fumes are not that noticeable.

Why not just high glass canopies from the eventual SST and the bus station. You can put some exhaust fans and filters as well.

But, to be honest, if the tracks remain as is, I don't care. It works fine. What really matters is the entrance from Dot Ave and the expanded waiting areas for the addition tracks. Blow out the wall between the Amtrak and MBCR ticket areas and open it up.

I notice the fumes every time.

I notice the fumes every time.

Same. Sometimes I can even notice them from the Orange Line platform if a commuter rail train is present on track 3.

Fort Point Channel is the most underutilized, diamond in the rough in all of Boston. Those CBT renderings show what it could be....and that is only one side. It's amazing what could happen if the Gillette facility were to relocate.

My frustration with the USPS facility only grew when I came up for a visit last August and, on my walkabout, was not allowed to walk on Dot Ave for USPS "security reasons".

It's time for the city to reclaim itself there and for that barnacle to relocate. Perhaps closer to the airport?

I pass through Back Bay station at least twice a day. The biggest issue with the diesel locomotives is the noise. The other problem with Back Bay is that everything about the building is dreary and run-down. Generally speaking, the fumes are not that noticeable.

The Fumes were one of the reasons I stopped filming at Back Bay and that was on the Orange line....it was irritating to my asthma.....the noise is who different can of worms....

I have to admit, if the whole platform area is going to end up looking as dark and smoky as the bus terminal area, that will be fairly depressing. But if they can light it better and maybe find some sort of surface the grime won't stick to as easily, then it should be alright.

I agree that the new Dorchester Avenue renderings look really nice.

It shouldn't be a problem. The bus station gets heavily caked in diesel exhaust because commuter rail locos always face outbound at SS and are always belching at the underside of the bus terminal whether they're in motion or just idling. That building is designed to get fuglier with time...about the only aesthetic consideration is that the south-facing wall directly visible from 93N might need a stiff power-washing every few years. But at the headhouse-end itself...ventilation's fine, and the only direct loco exhaust it ever receives is the occasional Lake Shore Limited trainset that once every few runs just happens by luck to come inbound from Chicago with a loco pointing nose-first.

That said, it is in the middle of the densest part of the a city with loco exhaust, bus terminal exhaust, 2 major expressways, and tunnel exhaust stacks all <2 blocks away. So they better be planning for glass that'll wear its grime well, because gleaming crystal that will most definitely not be after its first winter or two of service.

I think a lot of how people view a station with covered platforms depends on the head house and surrounding neighborhood. Nobody complains about Grand Central's underground platforms, yet Penn Station's platforms are one of the big things people hate about it. I think South Station's head house compares favorably with Grand Central, and the covered platforms likely won't be an issue at all.

Look at this (random flickr) photo and imagine nothing on the other side of those windows but another covered terminal. No light flowing through, just a ceiling - probably fairly low to maximize profits.

Boston South Station, en route to the Bus terminal by chailey, on Flickr

Hardly comparable to Grand Central or 30th St.

uspsfull_4.jpg

Put this in the "Future that Never Happened" file. Something will get done but not this ambitious unfortunately.

I don't now what that is Reeg!

ssrender1.jpg

From an article behind the paywall in today's Globe

Richard A. Davey, the state’s transportation secretary, said he believes the South Station project is one of the strongest and most persuasive elements of the plan.

“I am confident,” Davey said Friday when asked whether state legislators would support that element of the governor’s plan. “South Station really isn’t a choice.”

The governor’s South Station proposal calls for adding at least seven tracks to the station’s existing 13, requiring relocation of the adjacent US Postal Service’s General Mail Facility along Dorchester Avenue.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...tation-plan/uKYHpQDbk8MgPAcDxjAQGJ/story.html

The station expansion and tower look sleek. What the fuck are those grassy boxes/stumps?

Last edited:

Okay, thanks.

Curious that the article doesn't mention SST as far as I could tell, not that it was the primary focus of the article.

Perhaps the new headhouse could look something like this:

southstationexpansion1.jpg

The property UPS sits on has been sold. It isn't clear who bought the property, what their intent is, or whether UPS will even remain there.

The first thing that came to mind was how they wanted to relocate USPS here (with the mayor's blessing, even) but UPS swooped in and set up shop before them. Could it be the plan is back in action?

Look at this (random flickr) photo and imagine nothing on the other side of those windows but another covered terminal. No light flowing through, just a ceiling - probably fairly low to maximize profits.

Boston South Station, en route to the Bus terminal by chailey, on Flickr

Hardly comparable to Grand Central or 30th St.

30th Street leaves an Impression on you...

Amtrak Philadelphia 30th Street Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Philadelphia 30th Street Station - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Philadelphia 30th Street Station - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4434 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

30th Street Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Center City viewed from SEPTA's 30th Street Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

30th Street - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

They're moving out of their Devonshire St. location and consolidating here.

Back