Federal Government's Response to the Coronavirus

jklo

Reaction score
[MOD EDIT: Use this thread to talk the federal government's actions and policies to address the coronavirus]

You know, I have to think now that this project (and any other theoretical construction projects like Red-Blue, Blue-Lynn,etc) are very dead now.

Even if the US Government doesn't end up going bankrupt from all the bailouts they certainly won't be in the mood to spend anything on construction projects like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

jklo

Reaction score
Lol what kind of libertarian nonsense is that?
You can't just keep jacking up the deficit forever. There has to be a breaking point, and given how things are going with the pandemic, we're going to hit it sooner rather than later. I am assuming the bailout bill that just passed won't be the last of this pandemic.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't just keep jacking up the deficit forever. There has to be a breaking point, and given how things are going with the pandemic, we're going to hit it sooner rather than later. I am assuming the bailout bill that just passed won't be the last of this pandemic.
Interest rates on US debt continue to be in the basement. As long as the debt is dirt-cheap the US will continue to take advantage of it.

TallIsGood

Reaction score
The federal reserve bank is printing money and buying all the US Treasury debt. We won’t go bankrupt. More likely will have inflation as the Fed deflates the value of the dollar.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
The federal reserve bank is printing money and buying all the US Treasury debt. We won’t go bankrupt. More likely will have inflation as the Fed deflates the value of the dollar.
Would have thought that would have been likely after all of the rounds of Quantitative Easing, but inflation barely budged. We'll see what happens this time.

bakgwailo

Reaction score
Seems to have generally worked for centuries when we needed to do it.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
We won't have any inflation until demand recovers. And by that time, the Fed will already have started to pull back on the expanded money supply.