Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

"View from Yawkey Station" shows a large, wide stairway at the right edge of the drawing, but I can't figure out where this is.

Shh...

Bankers & Tradesmen said:
Hub Mayor Throws Support Behind One Kenmore Project
July 9, 2007
By Thomas Grillo,
Reporter

Menino Backs $400M Residential/Retail Development; Newly Revised Proposal Still Awaits Other Approvals

Thumbs up. Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino has given the go-ahead for a $400 million residential and retail development over the Massachusetts Turnpike between Kenmore Square and Fenway Park.

?I?ve looked at it and there?s been considerable improvement on the design since the last iteration,? Menino told Banker & Tradesman. ?It?s a little smaller and it?s moving forward.?

The idea to connect Kenmore Square and the city?s Fenway neighborhood emerged a decade ago when Newton developer John Rosenthal proposed a complex of stores, restaurants and a hotel for Lansdowne Street and the area above the turnpike.

Since then, the project has emerged with a new name and a number of revisions. The latest plan for the property, dubbed One Kenmore, offers 1.3 million square feet of development on four so-called air-rights parcels that straddle the turnpike. Among the changes are a smaller number of condominiums in four low-rise buildings instead of two towers, according to sources close to the negotiations.

If approved, the project would be built on 75,000 square feet of land bounded by Brookline Avenue and Maitland and Beacon streets including the Yawkey commuter rail station parking lot and 85,000 square feet of air rights. A steel deck would cover the turnpike where a portion of the development would sit, similar to Copley Place. A parking garage would be wrapped by housing so that it is not seen from the street. The design includes a refurbished Yawkey MBTA station.

?Very Responsive?

Rosenthal, president of Meredith Management Corp., declined to discuss the latest plan, saying only that the project first must be approved by the Citizens Advisory Committee, an 11-member panel appointed by Menino, the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, owner of the air rights parcels.

Jessica Shumaker, a BRA spokeswoman, declined to comment or provide details.

Jonathan M. Carlisle, a Turnpike Authority spokesman, said officials have been working out the details of a final accord. ?We are in discussions with the Rosenthal group to put together an agreement that would have to be approved by our board,? he said. ?We are still in negotiations, so I can?t speculate on the details or when the deal will be signed.?

The CAC is planning to meet in August for a vote on the project, according to one source. At the same time, an agreement between Rosenthal and the turnpike could be reached by summer?s end, another source added.

Jack Creighton, a CAC member and president of the Audubon Circle Neighborhood Association, an advocacy group whose mission is to preserve the area between Park Drive and Kenmore Square, said he is pleased with the downsized version of One Kenmore.

?John Rosenthal has been very responsive and recognized that some of the massing and the height was a little too close to the residential buildings of Audubon Circle and he moved it back,? said Creighton. ?There?s no longer an abrupt transition into our historic neighborhood.?

Creighton said he fears Audubon Circle could bear the brunt of the impact of anything built above the turnpike. He noted that the neighborhood association is in the process of developing priorities for the traffic flow in and out of the area in anticipation of the development.

?We are ground zero for traffic,? Creighton added. ?But we understand there will be changes as the city moves forward and grows. We are very grateful that the mayor and the BRA have made sure that the neighborhood is represented in these discussions.?

Unlike Columbus Center, the city?s other air-rights project in the South End that has been stalled by financial woes and community opposition, Rosenthal?s proposal appears to have won over the neighborhoods surrounding the ballpark.

Still, perhaps the most contentious issue for One Kenmore will be parking. William Richardson, president of the Fenway Civic Association, said his group supports dense development in the area but has vowed a fight over ?too much? parking.

?We will oppose excessive parking that will only exacerbate an already congested part of the city,? he said.

Any project that gets built will require the support of Menino, who is known to make or break projects. Developers say privately that without the mayor?s support, the BRA, an independent agency, will not provide the approvals needed to build. For example, Menino withdrew support in December for a 22-story dorm that Suffolk University hoped to build on Beacon Hill. The project was opposed by the neighborhood.

But other opponents have not been so fortunate. Menino backed an over-55 retirement community geared toward gays and lesbians on Miner Street near Kenmore Square. Neighbors insisted that the developers heed the area?s 5-story building limit, but the BRA later approved a compromise at 7.5 stories, down from 9 stories. Meanwhile, opponents of Lovejoy Wharf ? a 14-story project on North Washington St. ? say they have been unable get the mayor?s ear.

The 2.5-mile Boston extension to the turnpike was built in the 1960s to improve traffic into the city. But in doing so, the road created a barrier between neighborhoods. Development of so-called air rights ? the right to build on decking above the road ? was devised to reconnect neighborhoods and provide economic benefits for the communities on the turnpike.

Rosenthal has had high hopes to develop the gritty area around Fenway Park since 1992, when his company purchased a parking garage on Lansdowne Street.

In 1999, Rosenthal had a partnership with actor Robert Redford and General Cinema Theaters for an 11-screen, $40 million Sundance Cinemas behind Fenway Park. The 60,000-square-foot complex was to include a restaurant, screening rooms and a film library. But the deal later fell through when the parties could not agree on terms of the project.

Following competitive bidding in 2002, the Turnpike Authority ? which controls the air rights above the toll road ? selected Rosenthal to develop parcels 8, 9 and 10, which are above the turnpike and bordered by Brookline Avenue and Lansdowne, Newbury and Beacon streets.

Last year, the Turnpike Authority issued a Request for Proposals for an adjacent 2.7-acre site known as Parcel 7. Rosenthal was the only applicant and he is expected to be the designated developer later this summer, a source said.

Where are they going to put all the cars when they cover the old parking lot? The Sox own those little 1 level garages by the High School. Maybe build them up? It's needed because, let's not kid ourselves, that area is for suburbanite drivers and Bently Students (Tequila Rain Bra!).

As awesome as covering the pike and getting ride of a large surface parking lot are, this project is going to create a transportation nightmare. As it stands, Kenmore Station is a disaster during Baseball Season. Coupled with this project and a reworked Lansdowne St., it's only going to get worse. I guess the bright spot is that the Sox seem willing to address transportation issues; they're contributing most of the money for the new station at Yawkey. Maybe they'd like to pay for a new highway ramp, or a leg of the Urban Ring?

Kenmore really does need an upgrade. It's had plywood panels blocking up platforms for...how long now?

At least there's a new bus terminal going in.

underground said:
Where are they going to put all the cars when they cover the old parking lot? The Sox own those little 1 level garages by the High School. Maybe build them up? It's needed because, let's not kid ourselves, that area is for suburbanite drivers and Bently Students (Tequila Rain Bra!).

As awesome as covering the pike and getting ride of a large surface parking lot are, this project is going to create a transportation nightmare. As it stands, Kenmore Station is a disaster during Baseball Season. Coupled with this project and a reworked Lansdowne St., it's only going to get worse. I guess the bright spot is that the Sox seem willing to address transportation issues; they're contributing most of the money for the new station at Yawkey. Maybe they'd like to pay for a new highway ramp, or a leg of the Urban Ring?

All the development going directly over the pike is massive parking garages

Hmmm ...

Thanks for the renderings from the PDF, but I think those are obsolete, based on the article in B&T.

The latest plan for the property, dubbed One Kenmore, offers 1.3 million square feet of development on four so-called air-rights parcels that straddle the turnpike. Among the changes are a smaller number of condominiums in four low-rise buildings instead of two towers, according to sources close to the negotiations.

No?

Jack Creighton, a CAC member and president of the Audubon Circle Neighborhood Association, an advocacy group whose mission is to preserve the area between Park Drive and Kenmore Square, said he is pleased with the downsized version of One Kenmore.

?John Rosenthal has been very responsive and recognized that some of the massing and the height was a little too close to the residential buildings of Audubon Circle and he moved it back,? said Creighton. ?There?s no longer an abrupt transition into our historic neighborhood.?

Creighton said he fears Audubon Circle could bear the brunt of the impact of anything built above the turnpike. He noted that the neighborhood association is in the process of developing priorities for the traffic flow in and out of the area in anticipation of the development.

?We are ground zero for traffic,? Creighton added. ?But we understand there will be changes as the city moves forward and grows. We are very grateful that the mayor and the BRA have made sure that the neighborhood is represented in these discussions.?

What a refreshing voice of reason, and coming from a neighborhood preservationist.

underground said:

See the 7?
One_Kenmore_4.jpg

Thats a massive parking garage, between two people buildings (not sure if commercial or residential) along the street. I think where the 8 is may also be a garage.

And hopefully the new Yawkey sees trains all day, not just rush hour

JimboJones said:
Thanks for the renderings from the PDF, but I think those are obsolete, based on the article in B&T.

Quote:
The latest plan for the property, dubbed One Kenmore, offers 1.3 million square feet of development on four so-called air-rights parcels that straddle the turnpike. Among the changes are a smaller number of condominiums in four low-rise buildings instead of two towers, according to sources close to the negotiations.

No?

Ya, so the two towers are done then??? That's a bummer, that was my favorite part of this project

TheBostonBoy said:
JimboJones said:

Quote:

No?

Ya, so the two towers are done then??? That's a bummer, that was my favorite part of this project

No, they're just scaled down. Loook at the renderings bro'

Ron Newman said:
"View from Yawkey Station" shows a large, wide stairway at the right edge of the drawing, but I can't figure out where this is.

I'm pretty sure those stairs would lead up to the Beacon St. overpass crossing the Pike.

TheBostonBoy said:
JimboJones said:

Quote:

No?

ya totally a huge bummer dude.

those towers were like wicked sick and stuff

Great use of free speech Bobby. No really, keep up the good work

DudeUrSistersHot said:
TheBostonBoy said:
JimboJones said:

Quote:

No?

ya totally a huge bummer dude.

those towers were like wicked sick and stuff
Not funny. You clearly show a lack of maturity in mimicking people.

Back on topic, wasn't the reason for the removal of the two towers was because of the fact that it blocked the Citgo Sign or possibly cause wind change into Fenway Park?

I thought it was because either Brookline objected to the height or that the Red Sox didn't want people watching their games for free.

I would guess that the height was more of an issue than the Sox, since they have no trouble filling Fenway Park and people watching from windows would not cut into the demand enough to lower the ticket prices.

A brainstorm I had was that the Sox would make a deal with the developer to add bleachers to the roofs of some of these buildings... They'd probably still be closer than the upper decks at other ballparks, or at least have a better view and more cache. The Sox would get a cut of the ticket sales, the rest going to the developer, or maybe the Sox would get all the proceeds in exchange for a sizable contribution to the development cost.

The neighbors would hate it, and of course it will never happen, but they had a lot of success with it in Chicago.

Equilibria said:
I would guess that the height was more of an issue than the Sox, since they have no trouble filling Fenway Park and people watching from windows would not cut into the demand enough to lower the ticket prices.

A brainstorm I had was that the Sox would make a deal with the developer to add bleachers to the roofs of some of these buildings... They'd probably still be closer than the upper decks at other ballparks, or at least have a better view and more cache. The Sox would get a cut of the ticket sales, the rest going to the developer, or maybe the Sox would get all the proceeds in exchange for a sizable contribution to the development cost.

The neighbors would hate it, and of course it will never happen, but they had a lot of success with it in Chicago.

I don't understand why the Sox don't just auction all their tickets to the highest bidder on EBay instead of whining about scalping </off topic comment>

Developer teams with Sox on new Pike proposal
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A local developer and the Boston Red Sox [team stats] yesterday unveiled a $400 million plan to build offices, shops and apartments alongside and over the Massachusetts Turnpike near Fenway Park [map].

Newton-based builder and prominent anti-gun activist John Rosenthal and the Red Sox presented the 1.2-million-square-foot One Kenmore proposal to a community review panel appointed by City Hall.

The move comes after months of talks resulted in an agreement in principle by Rosenthal and the Sox to work together as joint venture partners on the One Kenmore development. The Sox will also become minority investors in the project, with a final agreement expected to be approved soon by John Henry?s Sox ownership group.

?It?s a true joint venture,? Rosenthal said. ?We are presenting (plans) together. I will be the lead developer.?

The proposal envisions a mixed-used complex taking shape both next to and on a deck to be built over the Massachusetts Turnpike and between Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street. The project would have 353 apartments, 200,000 square feet of office space and 107,000 square feet of retail and shops.

The project will also include a new Yawkey rail and bus station inside the complex, as well as 1,344 parking spaces.

It will also include 29,000 square feet of open space.

For Rosenthal, the proposal also represents a major shift over earlier plans of just a few months ago, with four smaller buildings ranging from seven to 17 stories. Previous proposals had buildings ranging as high as 30 stories. The current plans also put a new emphasis on office and retail space, now hot sectors of the real estate market.

At the same time, Rosenthal and the Sox have cut in half the amount of residential space, from 668 previously, with no plans for any condos.

?Residential condominiums are nearly impossible to finance,? Rosenthal said.

Back