Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: One Kenmore (Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

How come Rosenthal hasn't asked for a public subsidy? Was there something about Columbus Center that required it? Anyone know anything about his funding sources?

i guess to try and get public funding you have to provide at least somewhat interesting architecture/urban design. i want to puke all over this proposal.

As regards financing, I guess we'll know that Rosenthal can pull this off once we start seeing steel. I'm not sure I'd put much stock in anything until then, given overall market conditions.

Compared to Columbus Center, this project is much less ambitious - only a small section of the Pike will be covered, and they've got proportionally much more terra firma to work with. Thus the costs unique to the project (versus 100% land build) and potential justification for subsidy are much reduced. I'd bet that if the Columbus Center effort was scaled back to include only Parcel 16, the tower, without all the decking and neighborhood re-stitching, that would be more doable as well.

Rosenthal files new plan for Kenmore project
By Scott Van Voorhis
Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Developer John Rosenthal?s years-long quest to build over the Massachusetts Turnpike near Fenway Park just took a big step forward.

Rosenthal has filed with City Hall what he hopes will be the last set of plans for his $500 million One Kenmore air-rights proposal, triggering, if all goes well, a final set of reviews by city and state officials.

In his 1,300-page submission, Rosenthal details a series of tweaks and changes aimed at satisfying remaining neighborhood concerns and winning final approval from city and state regulators.

The Newton-based housing developer, who has spent years lobbying to build over the ugly Turnpike canyon next to Fenway Park and replace it with housing, shops and parkland, now hopes to have all his permits and financing in hand by next summer. The project would take shape on an 85,000-square-foot deck over the Turnpike near Fenway Park between the Beacon and Brookline street overpasses, as well as on 73,000 square feet of surface parking lots next to the highway.

Construction of the 1.3-million square-foot project, in which the Red Sox are a limited partner, would then begin in 2010.

The project also includes a revamped and expanded Yawkey Station, and a large garage that is expected to become a haven for Sox fans seeking parking before games.

?This development is finally becoming very real,? Rosenthal said.

Rosenthal?s latest changes to his air-rights plan have actually slightly boosted the size of his overall proposal, adding more than 14,000 square feet and pushing it past the 1.3 million square foot mark.

The centerpiece residential tower, to be built on a deck over the Turnpike, would now be 23 stories instead of 22, with 17 more units.

A planned 11-story office and retail building, proposed for a land site on Beacon Street, will gain an additional 27,000 square feet of office space, boosting the total to 221,500 square feet.

Link

A tower that grows during the approval process? Unpossible.

At least the 11 story tower is getting fatter, so there is some consistency left in the world.

Perhaps I missed a post earlier in this thread...where is Ned Flaherty on this one? Won't this project create the same problems that Ned alleges will be caused by Columbus Center? Are the people of the Fenway not worthy of his dogged style of advocacy?

Oh no....in the CC thread, he insisted that One Kenmore was the model of turnpike development....

^^ Likely because it won't block his view.

^

Like we expected anything more. The term is NIMBY, after all.

So, does this 23-story tower have a new architect? I'd like to see a fresh take on this one.

Zapata's Soldier Field got a lot of press in 2003; to use briv's term, it is interesting. I find his residential work handsome, if a bit derivative. The tower he has on the boards for NYC would look great above Jacob Wirth's.

I am surprised not to find Ned posting here as well. After all, it seems like his main harping point is the UFPs, and, unless I am mistaken, wouldn't this project create the same problem as the Columbus Center? It certainly puts into question his motives on CC, IMO.

Anyway, my take on this project seems to be similar to many of yours. I would love to see this get decked, as well as some surface parking lots eaten up. However, I am a little disappointed with the design, it seems to plain and static. I would love to see some tweaks to this design to make it more interesting. There is too much bland architecture in this city, and it seems like developers are continually missing opportunities.

Come to think of it, I remember Ned claiming in one of his posts that, if a project is competitively bid, the appearance of the project would most likely come out alright. I don't think that really worked out here, as this doesn't appeal to me at all.

DPIR Public Meeting for Air Rights Parcel 7
Thursday, October 09, 2008
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Division-Department: Planning and Zoning - BRA
Description: Public Meeting to discuss the Draft Project Impact Report (DPIR) for the proposal to develop MTA Air Rights Parcel 7.
Neighborhood: Fenway/Kenmore
Email: Jonathan.Greeley.BRA@cityofboston.gov

FYI....

John Rosenthal announced last night that the project's name was oficially changing from One Kenmore to "Fenway Center"

Yawkey Station has been funded and is being build regardless. Parsons Engineering is working on the engineering piece. They are pitching that the public transportation is the "heart of the project"

100% support from the CAC, the Red Sox's and the Public represented last night. Of coarse there are questions about the # of parking spaces.

The Project will be a mimimum of Cilver LEED certified.

The CSX land is being bought and negations are wrapping up.

PS... I feel like my spelling is off this morning for some reason, but then again it's never realy on.

That or use Firefox, it has a built in spell check (though it isn't perfect).

What exactly is the plan for Yawkey?

Im guessing they wont be moving the tracks to make both tracks accessible with platforms.

However, will it be a full high level? Full roof?

Someone recently raised the question of where Uncle Ned is on this issue...I'm guessing we will have to "be patient" for quite a while for that crusade to commence. So far his quest to save the citizens of Boston from death by UFP is strictly relegated to the corner of Clarendon and Columbus.

You assume that I?m not active in other venues outside this Forum, and that I?m not active on other issues outside Columbus Center. _ Both assumptions are incorrect.

The meetings and newspaper articles over the past few years were all about proposals that got revised, replaced, and/or withdrawn. _ One Kenmore?s first full proposal was filed only last week. _ No public meetings have been held yet. _ Yes, my interests are sincere. _ Yes, the time for advocacy is now. _ Be patient. _ And observe.

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

Jass........ Actualy the tracks will be moved so they are accessible from a middle platform.

And Ned is wrong about one thing. The talest of the buildings on this plan, alog with the garage are located over the Mass Pike.

Back