Fenway Infill and Small Developments

who'se been to the new Target in Stoughton?? its big, clean and amazing...parking underneath the store (ground level, store @ second level) and an escalator for your shopping cart! Parking footprint solved. Also great for snow/rainy days. And a Starbucks included. Has a 5 star rating on Yelp.

I was stunned by how nice that Target is. And kudos to the developer for putting parking under the building. Land is cheap enough in Stoughton that I expected a "Jordan's Furniture-style" 15 acre parking lot.

I swear the Target on Arsenal St in Watertown purposely blocks your cellphone recpetion.

The South Bay Target is very popular with college students, namely from the Fenway Area (Northeastern, Wentworth, Simmons, Wheelock, etc.) During move in some of the schools even provide bus shuttles to and from Target.

While the Target at South Bay is not the best....it could be worse....as in it could be Walmart.

The South Bay Target is very popular with college students, namely from the Fenway Area (Northeastern, Wentworth, Simmons, Wheelock, etc.) During move in some of the schools even provide bus shuttles to and from Target.

While the Target at South Bay is not the best....it could be worse....as in it could be Walmart.

Yeah, the SB Target is a damn dump due to all of SB being a damn dump.

A smart, quirky, innovative design on the Boylston Extension would be a boon to the neighborhood and profit-generator for Target.

Although I usually decry "big box" retailers, Target would give those overpriced assholes at Landmark (Bed/Bath and Staples) some much-needed competition.

The product offerings of Target and Staples don't overlap very much. I doubt that either company regards the other as a competitor.

The new(ish) IKEA in Brooklyn actually has the parking on the ground level and the store is elevated above.

Isn't that how at least most of the parking at the IKEA Stoughton is laid out? I know there's some parking on the entrance level, but I seem to recall most of the parking is situated under the building. Then again, it's been almost three years since I was last there, so I could be mistaken.

I'm a huge fan of grocery stores going this route since grocery stores are, by and large, the one large format store I find myself going to most often and I hate having to walk across three acres of parking to get to the door.

The product offerings of Target and Staples don't overlap very much. I doubt that either company regards the other as a competitor.

Buy a crappy desk in one place then go across the parking lot to get stuff to fill it up!

Think like a college student, Ron. When you're trying to furnish your crappy dorm room in the cheapest way possible, without getting on the scary MBTA, Staples is certainly a consideration. And that location knows it.

Landmark Center may grow
8-story office addition eyed for Fenway site

By Thomas Grillo | Thursday, May 27, 2010 | http://www.bostonherald.com

Landmark Center is about to become a bigger Boston landmark.

The Abbey Group has filed plans with the city for an eight-story addition to the one million-square-foot office and retail development at the intersection of Brookline Avenue and Boylston Street in the Fenway neighborhood.

If approved, the developer would build a 308,337-square-foot office building atop the Landmark Center?s four-story parking garage at the rear of the complex on Fullerton Street. The addition will offer 34,000 to 46,000 square feet per floor for use as office, laboratory, clinical and research space.

Joseph Sciolla, managing principal at Cresa Partners, a Boston brokerage that exclusively represents tenants, said while there are millions of square feet of available space at low prices in Boston, expanding the Landmark Center makes sense because of its proximity to the Longwood Medical Area, where land is scarce for new construction.

?That section of the Fenway has the best chance of success over the next few years because it?s located so close to (Longwood),? he said. ?They are hoping that medical tenants that need to expand will kick that project off. The area has retail, residential and public transportation.?

The proposal comes as the Abbey Group faces a number of financial challenges.

State Street Corp., the financial services giant, will not renew its lease for 135,000 square feet of space at the Lafayette Corporate Center, a six-story office building that Abbey owns behind Macy?s in downtown.

Meanwhile, sales of the Abbey Group?s 138-unit luxury condominium project at 45 Province St. in Downtown Crossing have yet to take off. Only 17 units have sold, including two this year.

David Epstein, the Abbey Group?s president, did not return a call seeking comment yesterday.

follow the link for a rendering.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1257639

Ordinarily I'd ask why they're building on a garage rather than build on the adjacent Landmark Center parking lot - right next to Fenway Station. A good spot for some in-fill, you'd think?

Alas, though, I do agree with this design. Let's save that in-fill spot for a competent architect, and leave the Starship Waltham high up and out of sight.

I'm guessing that the grass is a 'green roof' initiative. Are they trying to get LEED certification?

Ordinarily I'd ask why they're building on a garage rather than build on the adjacent Landmark Center parking lot - right next to Fenway Station. A good spot for some in-fill, you'd think?

Alas, though, I do agree with this design. Let's save that in-fill spot for a competent architect, and leave the Starship Waltham high up and out of sight.

They announced plans 1-2 years ago to build more retail on the surface lot, but we havent heard anything since. Perhaps this office building means the retail plans are still progressing.

I'm guessing that the grass is a 'green roof' initiative. Are they trying to get LEED certification?

Yeah, that's my guess, too. Doesn't everybody in Boston try for LEED these days? The mayor is a fan, so certification certainly helps ease things through the byzantine approval process.

My that's ugly, but hey, its over the pike and it brings some height and density to the area.

Back