Fenway Infill and Small Developments

A lot of Puma City's charm was that it overlooked the water. Hard to replicate that here.

Puma-City.jpg

1zdvuhg.jpg

I like Puma City, but what a weird place to put this.

puma_city_II_1.jpg

puma_city_II_4.jpg

puma_city_II_6.jpg

puma_city_II_2.jpg

From Boylston:
puma_city_II_3.jpg

I kinda like the idea of stumbling upon it in the back streets.

It was fun/interesting to stumble upon it, but I think the effect it had on Fan Pier (see Ron's previous comment) was better. At least it's red, so it stands out! I really dig the second, fourth (nice graffiti!), and fifth photos (love the look of the red in that pass thru).

It was supposed to be there before the soccer game at fenway, but they couldnt get it through again. It is going to be there for a while, as the developer (who also did Trilogy and 1330) works on permitting, designing, and financing for the planned building on the site.

Why the hate for the Fenway location?

It's a perfect location for Puma's target audience: young, haute professionals from Longwood, the rich turd burglars at Trilogy/1330, the t-bags who pay $60 to park a block away from Gate D.

And so continues the shitty-fication of that part of the neighborhood.

I don't see how the neighborhood is undergoing "shitty-fication". That part of West Fenway has been a series of parking lots and auto centric businesses since the 1930s. Gentrification always comes with a helping of pretentious trustifarian douchebags, but they always move on to the next 'hip' neighborhood when the trendiness is gone.

I just wonder how people are going to find it on that hidden-away side street. Even before and after Sox games, people don't walk there. They walk on Lansdowne and Yawkey Way and Ipswich Street.

I think the idea is that it's a destination of its own of sorts and that people will come looking for it, not merely stumble across it when shopping or whatever.

That said, I think they need some kind of advertising/promotion campaign other than word of mouth. Or maybe their strategy is to avoid it and spread the message via virtual whisper campaigns in outlets like the Phoenix.

Back