Fenway Infill and Small Developments

oh my god... when you look Ugly up in the dictionary....

I really hope it is just a horrible rendering or a massing model.....

but adding density is always a good thing...

i really like ellipses today....

I'm really, really hoping the architect is following a very specific edict from the developers. This proposal is absolutely thoughtless.

Considering that the original Sears building is now called 'The Landmark Center', you'd think the owner would have some respect for it.

In thirty years someone will post an article detailing how the Landmark Center will be undergoing a renovation and restoration. A process that will include the removal of the ill-advised addition constructed in the early 21st century.

I love how contemporary architects continually rail against the destructive impulses of 1960s urban renewal and movements such as brutalism and all of its anti-contextual glory, while simultaneously proposing project after project that repeat the same mistakes. But instead of concrete we get glass.

Target has already created some pretty decent, urban stores with parking (above the store):

DSC01617.jpg

This example is better than Stoughton's.

You call that decent? I wouldn't want that within 100 miles of Boston.

The flagship store in downtown Minneapolis with the 30-story world HQ in the background:

250efa0f-a8a1-43ad-a5e3-1328c584b814.jpg

wg-target-corporation-4.jpg

Looks like a bigger, shoddier version of Niketown Boston.

You call that decent? I wouldn't want that within 100 miles of Boston.

Surely it's better than South Bay, the Target in Watertown, the Target in Somerville, and anything built at Wellington Station.

I agree, though I won't blame Target for any of those buildings. The Somerville and Watertown Targets were originally Bradlees, while the South Bay one was a K-Mart.

I can also blame them for the one in Everett, which also has a big blank wall and wasn't converted from some other chain.

The Great(land) Wall of Target?

That one I showed in Street View is part of the world's longest strip mall - upwards of a mile and a half of unbroken parking lots and big box stores.

Yesterday I was walking down Van Ness over near Fenway, and saw what looked like Puma City - and it is! Puma City's back in town:

Puma City Comes To Fenway. Phoenix Employees Consider Base-Jumping Into Parties.
Published Jul 19 2010, by Chris Faraone

Unlike expired daily newspaper scribes who mail in columns from the suburbs, here at the Phoenix we like to hit the block and report things. But even if we didn't want to leave the office - there's a whole lot of news popping right outside of our Brookline Ave offices (this classic In Living Color riff on Tracy Chapman comes to mind). In the past few months alone: Ben Affleck and his crew filmed scenes from The Town at Fenway; nearby a young man died following the Celtics victory in 2008; and, most recently, police officers showed up to embarass Governor Deval Patrick. Heck - we've even had Shepard Fairey and Mister Cartoon coloring the scenery.

And now Puma City returns to town - not back to the Southie waterfront, but to directly behind our offices (between Van Ness and Boylston - near the Subway). Above is not a picture of yet another tragically undeveloped parcel in downtown Boston; it's a shot of the location where many of you will be partying rather hard sometime in the next few months. As you might remember, we went a bit overboard with the Puma City coverage last year, but that was only because every soiree that we hit down there was a refreshing break from the bars and lounges that we frequent all year-round (and because, on one occasion, there was a burrito-eating contest involved). Looking forward to the 2010 run for sure - especially since we can base-jump in from the Phoenix rooftops.

Puma-City.jpg

What was on this lot before? (McDonald's? Some other fast food place?)

Whyd they have to make the photo useless?

Based on the description, it will be on a surface lot on Yawkey. As far as I know, it has always been a surface lot.

Back