Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Is the scaffolding up on Landmark because expansion's already started or is that just general maintenance?

The PNF for the new project mentioned it's undergoing a 10mil exterior restoration

It's fine we're getting new orange line cars...in 6 years

I wouldn't consider the South End "booming" because there is only really one large-scale project right now: Ink Block. Compare that to Fenway which has three large-scale construction projects going on right now, plus four more in the works which will hopefully come online next year.

I apologize in advance for veering off topic.

Large-scale projects either approved or under construction in South End:

- Ink Block
- 275 Albany Street
- 80 East Berkeley Street
- 5-10 St. George Street
- BioSquare

It may not be as much development as the Fenway, but I think 1 million+ square feet of development in a neighborhood qualifies as a boom.

***1.75 million square feet of new large-scale development to be exact.

10655891874_a19f53019d.jpg
[/url]
CIMG3247 by timsox6, on Flickr[/IMG]

So there's now a video billboard perched at the end of Lansdowne, cycling through seven or eight ads for various local businesses (Sox, Lucky Strike, BSO etc).

10685160393_56a4eeb719_b.jpg

Remember the Elephant Walk proposal for 900 Beacon Street in Audubon Circle?

Link to project on BRA's website (updated October 27th)

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/900-beacon-st

Here's the approximate location on Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/LwDrSr

The Proposed Project consists of the development of a 11,952± square-foot site situated at 900 Beacon Street in the Audubon Circle neighborhood, by construction of a new six-story building containing 38 residential units, 4,470 square feet of ground-floor commercial/retail space, and 36 accessory off-street parking spaces located primarily in the building’s below-grade garage, which will be accessed via the private way at the rear of the site.

The proposed project would create both market-rate and affordable housing units in an attractive new building complimentary in scale, massing and design to the surrounding neighborhood.

In planning the building, great care was given to respecting the as-built conditions of the area, with the result that the proposed building has been designed and scaled to compliment the surrounding Audubon Circle neighborhood.

Remember the Elephant Walk proposal for 900 Beacon Street in Audubon Circle?

That'll be some nice density for that neighborhood. The current building there does look kinda out of place. I wonder if the Elephant Walk will move into the new space? (it's a nice place for having dinners with large parties or with people who have dietary restrictions)

Edit: Apparently I can't see. The example rendering actually has "The Elephant Walk" lettered above the windows.

Modest. Handsome. More parking than needed, but its all underground. Thank you sir, may I have another?

This is a minimal loss. It's completely suburban: free standing, low density, and flanked on both sides by driveways (and presumably a parking lot in back?) The design of the replacement building is generic but superior in every way. Nothing to mourn here.

It appears it's an old bank building, similar to the Sovereign in Brighton Center, that was then extended off the front when it changed uses. Probably teens, early twenties. Not much of a loss, there are good examples of small scale colonial revival bank buildings in every town in the country. The new building is also, as already stated, much better (even if a bit bland).

This is a minimal loss. It's completely suburban: free standing, low density, and flanked on both sides by driveways (and presumably a parking lot in back?) The design of the replacement building is generic but superior in every way. Nothing to mourn here.

Yes. In Robo-Urbano World, all buildings will be built to 26 stories with no space between them. We will be maximally efficient Homo Sapiens because we will be living in such dense conditions.

With all due respect, the existing building is charming. It's sufficiently "urban" given the overall street context to make it pretty clear you're not in Wayland - and it's not a hideous piece of alucobonded generica or a deadening tower in the park.

IMO its loss is a loss.

Please, itchy. Is this "Robo-Urbano world?"

Georgetown_p_street.jpg

No space between buildings!

Just thought I'd toss an example of "no space between buildings" from Georgetown since I recently visited.

Back