Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Thanks I’m still taking pics but they become abosolete by the time I get around to posting them

Speaking as someone who doesn't get into the city much, I appreciate any pics that are posted whether of new construction or developments that have been finished for a while. Thanks to you and everyone for taking the time to post.

I didn't know there was anything going on at Symphony Road. Nice to see my old street finally getting some love. Render hasn't been posted in over a year, so for anyone else who might have missed it:

50 Symphony Road

The brickwork and mansard roof materials will make or break this. I do love the wave effect though.

I didn't know there was anything going on at Symphony Road. Nice to see my old street finally getting some love. Render hasn't been posted in over a year, so for anyone else who might have missed it:

50 Symphony Road

Phenominal. We need to sprinkle these throughout all the triple decker neighborhoods. More brick!

Well, the rendering certainly looks nice. I hope it translates into the execution. I don't understand the drastic change for the top/roof section though. That has the potential to look cheap.

According to the article, Sam Kennedy -- Red Sox President and CEO -- dubs this project "Fenway 3.0" (with the renovation of the Park itself that took place over the last 15 years or so being "Fenway 2.0"): "We think that the Red Sox and the Fenway Sports Group, with some of the parcels that we've invested in, now we should start to turn our attention outside of the ballpark to make sure that we also invest in the neighborhood, to make sure that there's responsible development."

I can't wait. We always complain about developers focusing too much on the bottom line to the detriment of the architectural value of their buildings. The Red Sox -- like other long-term institutions -- wouldn't behave this way. For the Sox Organization, the "image" of Fenway Park is exactly what drives value. I'd expect any Red Sox-driven developments to skip the value-engineering and pay the extra expense for quality design and finishes.

Not so long ago, the Sox-owned parcels in the Fenway (including the Park) were the reason to visit the neighborhood. Now, many of the Sox-owned parcels (including the surface lots and decaying garages) are the worst spots in the neighborhood.

There have been some rumblings about this for a while now, and Kennedy claims the project has been going on "over the last year and a half or so." Does this deserve its own thread?

I didn't realize that they got joint development rights with Rosenthal all the way to Parcel 10. That's a straight line to Charlesgate East! Will never be decked all the way there in any of our lifetimes, and never built to a height that disrupts their wind tunnel models of the ballpark's airflow, but what an opportunity. Any list of the real estate players with the most potential to transform the city (no exaggeration) has to include the Red Sox in the top 3.

I think this definitely deserves it's own thread. Call it "Fenway 3.0." Do it up!

And I love it. A prime piece of neo-Corbusian gravitas. Here's hoping that the materials are top notch. The only misstep I see in these renderings is the metal (?) parapet screening the mechanicals -- it looks cheap and impermanent, and it should be neither.

I can see why you would say neo-Corbusian--looks like the Jaoul houses on a bad trip. But I don't see anything nice about this. It's a mess, I don't see any two windows that are the same, we all know what's going to happen with that penthouse, and I admire your maintenance of hope that they won't cheap out on the materials. I do not share it.

I wanted to end my comment there but I scrolled up again and made a face. There are like nine different gestures fighting for my attention and I can't look at any of them but I also can't look away.

Back