Fenway Infill and Small Developments

As for this, respectfully I disagree completely. It isn't the job of a school to fit in, but rather to stand out as a temple to civic virtue. There is plenty of good street level retail around Fenway Park, though admittedly not so much on Van Ness and Ipswich streets.

If the proposal were something noteworthy (e.g. BPL in Back Bay, Harvard Yard) then I would agree, let the building stand on its own. But IMO, as it stands right now, it's a slightly-better-than-average redesign that won't be a temple to anyone but those who study there. Might as well get some benefit for the neighborhood out of it.

Didn't know where to put this. But Sam Adams is now the "Official Beer" of Fenway Park. That means that the Bud sign in the RF Roof Deck comes down and a new Sam Adams neon sign goes in its place in 2018!

http://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-red-sox-get-a-new-official-beer/14413934
The Boston Red Sox and The Boston Beer company on Tuesday announced a new, multi-year partnership. In addition to carrying Samuel Adams beers throughout the park, the deal also includes signage throughout the park and naming rights for two bar areas.
Advertisement

The right field roof deck will be renamed the "Sam Deck," and a bar beneath the third base stands will be known as "Sammy's On Third."

The agreement is a first for the Boston-based craft beer company, which said it has never had a professional team partnership of this scale.

"We got our start right here in Boston, and for the past three decades we’ve worked our butts off to stay independent and brew great beer," said founder Jim Koch in a statement provided by his company. "As the official beer of the Red Sox, we get to celebrate our New England roots with millions of other fans as soon as the season kicks off."

Sam has faced declining sales in recent years thanks to the advent of other local micro/macro brews such as Harpoon, Wachusett, Cisco, Jack's Abby, etc etc (much better tasting brews IMHO). They can't call themselves a micro brew anymore. They do seem like they're giving up on that and trying to position themselves as the next shitty domestic powerhouse (a la Bud, Miller, Coors).

Anyone remember when Narragansett was the official beer of the Sox? That would've been a slam dunk. 'Gansett Deck would've been a (pun intended) a home run. But good luck to the Boston Beer Co.

Will John Henry start whining about how tall the Academy proposal is and how it will devastate the character of FP? Aw, poor baby.

Globe: State OKs $125m project to replace Boston Arts Academy building

James Vaznis GLOBE STAFF said:
The Massachusetts School Building Authority unanimously approved Wednesday a $125 million project — years in the making — to replace the Boston Arts Academy building in the Fenway.

The state agency will cover $49 million of the project’s costs, according to a copy of the agency’s recommendation to its board, while the city will pay for the rest of it.

[...]

When I click the render link I get a warning on my iPhone that this site is trying to impersonate something n steal my information...weird.

Never seen that before or since.

When I click the render link I get a warning on my iPhone that this site is trying to impersonate something n steal my information...weird.

Never seen that before or since.

Yeah I got the same warning on my desktop. I just went directly to website instead of following the link.

^
PkvtUvA.jpg
nice! my son went to high school there in the early 90's, great school it was crowded then so a replacement is diffidently needed.

i wish we didn't have to develop every damned parcel in the core of Boston in just a few years. Wish this could be held off until the next cycle. Needs a long careful study before they squander these parcels on 80~120' boxes. Don't want a repeat of the New York streets – when like, in 20 years, it becomes obvious they made a mistake.... with developers having to build very tall–or stand pat.

Worse, Henry probably fully understands this is the way to stop tall development being done in the future.

i wish we didn't have to develop every damned parcel in the core of Boston in just a few years. Wish this could be held off until the next cycle. Needs a long careful study before they squander these parcels on 80~120' boxes. Don't want a repeat of the New York streets – when like, in 20 years, it becomes obvious they made a mistake.... with developers having to build very tall–or stand pat.

I honestly wouldn't call Fenway the "core" of Boston. It's not a bad location, but it's not downtown either.

Still lots of areas left to build. Sullivan, the western side of Rutherford, Inner Belt Somerville, and others. Plus you've got Allston Yards.

And you're not gonna see super-tall buildings in Fenway ever. The only way that'll happen is if the Sox decide to move to a new location.

Didn't know where to put this. But Sam Adams is now the "Official Beer" of Fenway Park. That means that the Bud sign in the RF Roof Deck comes down and a new Sam Adams neon sign goes in its place in 2018!

It'll be cool to see a big neon Sam sign. I had tickets up there once, years ago; I knew it was the Bud deck, but found to my dismay that they didn't even have Michelob, just Bud, Bud Light and either Bud Ice or Bud Dry (I don't recall which).

Nice pics, Bos, good to see you back posting pics while you travel around town!

Thanks I’m still taking pics but they become abosolete by the time I get around to posting them

Back