Fenway Infill and Small Developments

I thought the proposal to build on top of the restaurants was exciting. I didn't know it was a section 8 building. Strikes me as a strange proposition. This seems to be perfect place for market-rate rentals or even condos--it's a very desirable neighborhood, especially with the anticipated build-out of Boylston. As a rule, I don't like single-story commercial buildings. I really dont like them in the city's core. This could have been rebuilt as something a lot better. That said, I'm glad the restaurants are coming back. This block was so vital before the fire.

I thought the proposal to build on top of the restaurants was exciting. I didn't know it was a section 8 building. Strikes me as a strange proposition. This seems to be perfect place for market-rate rentals or even condos--it's a very desirable neighborhood, especially with the anticipated build-out of Boylston. As a rule, I don't like single-story commercial buildings. I really dont like them in the city's core. This could have been rebuilt as something a lot better. That said, I'm glad the restaurants are coming back. This block was so vital before the fire.

The problem is that the same tenants could not afford this location if it were part of a multi-story structure.

The problem is that the same tenants could not afford this location if it were part of a multi-story structure.

The other rub is that there would have been significantly less lease space on the ground level available to restaurants if housing had gone above. Even less with a hotel scenario.

Because of elevators and stairways?

Yes, along with trash rooms, mail boxes, other storage, tel/data, and in the case of the hotel proposal a lobby. Then there's the BRAs stupid minimum parking requirements, valet zones, entrance criteria, etc. to screw up the street edge and limit outdoor patio space.

Heard on chowhound that Marshalls Fenway Farmstand is closing on the 29th, with demolition to follow.

^^ What could they possibly do to that building that'll make it attractive to walk in from Van Ness street? There's a parking lot in the way. Does anyone know if they plan on putting some sort of plaza/park there?

I thought that was being torn down?

dshoost88, maybe they just mean an entrance for parking customers?

The past couple days it looks like they have been doing soil samples or something all around the site of 1341 boylston (the one that will have a target). They must be getting ready to go.

I know the lease for the gym and market were extended, but not sure how long.

no, this parcel:

15fenway.r.jpg

In other business, the BRA board approved plans for a new five-story building with 20 apartments at 16 Peterborough St. in the Fenway.

The project would replace a single-story building housing the Canestaro Restaurant & Pizzeria, which will close down. The Italian-American eatery opened in 1992, and the neighborhood wanted a restaurant to be part of the project.

“That was difficult for the developer to do,” said BRA senior project manager John Fitzgerald. “They asked the owner of Canestaro to stay, but he said that he’s been there long enough and he’s out of the game and that most of his work comes from catering and not from folks who come in and sit down.”

Link

The proposed building (16-20 Peterborough) looks like an el cheapo piece of shit. The loss of the two retail spots would be really unfortunate for the neighborhood though.

Sounds like the developer tried to keep the retail, but the owner didn't think it was worth it.

Stupid. As if he couldn't have found another retail tenant than the guy who was there before?

Back