Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Rendering of a lab building at the gas station/shaws lot next to the pierce. Plus new bike lanes.
BrooklineAveParkDrRendering.png

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/0...-fill-crucial-bike-network-gap-on-the-fenway/

Come on, 400 feet long is not long enough. We gotta get these buildings to 800, 900 feet long. It should take a full 15 minutes to walk the length of the building. The building should be long enough that the curvature of the Earth should be a factor in their design. It should be something out of a forgotten Kafka draft, a building so long that it engulfs the entirety of a man's existence.

Last edited:
Come on, 400 feet long is not long enough. We gotta get these buildings to 800, 900 feet long. It should take a full 15 minutes to walk the length of the building. The building should be long enough that the curvature of the Earth should be a factor in their design. It should be something out of a forgotten Kafka draft, a building so long that it engulfs the entirety of a man's existence.
You mean like this?
TheLine.jpg

The city needs to ban light wood construction for multifamily buildings.

The city needs to ban light wood construction for multifamily buildings.

Why? Light wood framing is cheap, easy to work with, and safe with modern sprinklers and fire codes. If it was banned the cost of new housing would skyrocket across the city. Its much more cost effective to use wood framing and hire carpenters to put up a new apartment building vs using steel, hiring ironworkers, and renting cranes for the same size building. Those costs would be passed on to renters/buyers.

Why? Light wood framing is cheap, easy to work with, and safe with modern sprinklers and fire codes. If it was banned the cost of new housing would skyrocket across the city. Its much more cost effective to use wood framing and hire carpenters to put up a new apartment building vs using steel, hiring ironworkers, and renting cranes for the same size building. Those costs would be passed on to renters/buyers.
Call me in 30 years when these buildings are piles of wet sticks.

Why stop at 50? How about a thousand footer! And there's all kinds of open land across the street just being wasted, maybe a whole neighborhood of them. We can solve the housing crisis in a week!

Oh man, culturally I always think of this stretch as Brookline, but I guess the city line runs down the middle of St. Mary's Street. Is transmunicipal shadow litigation a thing yet?

Great transit- and amenity-oriented location steps from some of the best parts of Boston and Brookline while replacing a miserable parking garage to boot. too bad it's not by-right in this location.

I absolutely adore the little pocket of the city that surrounds Beacon st here. Reminds me of Prospect Heights in Brooklyn.

Oh man, culturally I always think of this stretch as Brookline, but I guess the city line runs down the middle of St. Mary's Street. Is transmunicipal shadow litigation a thing yet?

Great transit- and amenity-oriented location steps from some of the best parts of Boston and Brookline while replacing a miserable parking garage to boot. too bad it's not by-right in this location.

Looking at that map, my first thought was: "Hey, that's Brookline! Not Fenway." But you're right!

Back