Flickr Finds & Social Media Pics

I'm confused. What's the thing in the middle? Was this taken down, or did they add floors around it? Was this done originally or years later. Photo is circa 1922.

5737317298_e6e0cc8d6e.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/

What building is this? (two posts above this one) I do not see this photo on the page that you linked to.

This little tid bit... it's from wikipedia though, so may or may not be accurate

Originally, the Planned Development Area (PDA) agreement for the building of the 60-story John Hancock Tower called for 197 Clarendon to be demolished to make way for open space or a public square. In 1982, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, responding to a request from the John Hancock company, decided that it would be better to keep the building on the tax rolls. It was also thought that open space near the base of the tower might not be desirable, due to the tower's "wind tunnel" effect.
I'm so glad they didn't tear it down to make a park.

Reminds me of Metropolitan Storage Warehouse a mile further north on Mass. Ave. next to MIT.

It was just west of the corner with Mass Ave:

metwrhs.jpg

5881629894_68803f11f2_b.jpg

5881067933_b1b037d0bd_b.jpg

Tercentenary parade through temporary arch, Adams Square and Dock Square
File name: 08_06_003557

Title: Tercentenary parade through temporary arch, Adams Square and Dock Square

Creator/Contributor: Jones, Leslie, 1886-1967 (photographer)

Date created: 1930

Physical description: 1 negative : glass, black & white ; 4 x 5 in.

Genre: Glass negatives

Subjects: Parades & processions; Centennial celebrations

Notes: Title and date from information provided by Leslie Jones or the Boston Public Library on the negative or negative sleeve.

Collection: Leslie Jones Collection

Rights: Copyright © Leslie Jones.

Preferred citation: Courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/

From the US National Archives' Flickr feed, photo circa 1973.

This is a series of photos regarding Logan Airport - an expansion?

Caption: The Anthony Brunos at Dinner in Their Well-Kept Home at 39 Neptune Road

3681591061_fb874c1433.jpg

6309387710_2b402176b9_b.jpg

This has to be one of the sorriest post-urban renewal sections of the city. The Four Seasons and the State Transpo. building are bad enough but the new residential building (the name escapes me) is downright criminal. It always looks like it was planned for somewhere else then dropped into this space.

Back