Flickr Finds & Social Media Pics

Don't think this has been seen here before? A race an ethnicity map based on the 2010 census.

5559894531_94333ae182_o.png

Legend: one dot equals 25 people
Red - caucasian
Blue - black
Orange - hispanic
Green - asian
Yellow - other

The NYTimes ran some maps like this awhile back and I think they made the rounds.

Thanks. The split right to Central Artery and left to Route 93 makes sense now. The building to the left I seem to remember as being there for a long time (I always imagined someone buying it and turning it into a nightclub). Is that right? But the building upper right isn't the courthouse, right? That's on the other side of the Charlestown Bridge that had the El over it?

I guess there's not much to use as guides since most of it's gone.

So basically the second one is if I turn 180 degrees from the first photo and look north toward the Tobin?

Sound right?

Correct.

In the first photo, the prominent white elevated highway is the old eastbound Central Artery. The westbound Central Artery was separate and off to the right, just barely visible in the upper right part of the photo. The large building a little to the right of the center of the photo was the Charlestown YMCA, which was straddled on both sides by the eastbound and westbound elevated structures of the Central Artery. The highway designers of the original Central Artery did at least try to avoid large buildings, but the end product was an ugly behemoth obliterating the fine fabric of old Boston.

Anybody know what this building sitting on Fort Hill in 1960 was? It looks like it was fairly new back then.

dstf.jpg

I found that on this brochure for 225 Franklin.

8575341120_f6355a2a62_b.jpg

Fullsize can be found here

They should bring these back to Copley Square

6883353354_1abf8d7f51_c.jpg

Another, looking down Huntington.
7029454073_7deb53256d_c.jpg

Not actually Flickr, but I don't know where else to put this:

Boston Transit Archive

This appears to be every photograph the Boston Transit Commission ever took relation to building the subway. Most are pictures of trees, damaged buildings (they seemed to damage everything they went near), and materials testing, but there are some gems:

South Station Under Lobby
92091scr_384dc8fd16c0bd1.jpg

Beacon Hill Portal:
90635scr_866fd3300b4067e.jpg

"Building new station under Park St Station of Old Subway"
90576scr_2e563bb84e87ce4.jpg

"Timbering under west wall of Old Subway"
90567scr_7ef238241adbf2c.jpg

That's only from the Red Line section...

I saw that one on there too. I check flickr regularly, there are many great shots posted there almost everyday. I thought this one was very cool:

Untitled by Jordan Kines, on Flickr

I thought this person might have been a member here, but I guess not. I like this pic, a sea of steel

Untitled by ecbrads, on Flickr

Who are these people and why do they not know about archboston? Lets get em over here they have some great pics.

Back