Fogg Art Museum Addition | 32 Quincy Street | Cambridge

Re: Fogg Art Museum Addition

Without meaning to be snide in the least, what is going on with the Gardner addition? What was he aiming for? I see nothing beautiful or interesting about it, but maybe I need to be educated.

That took a while to grow on me but I pass it every day and I actually really like it now.

Without meaning to be snide in the least, what is going on with the Gardner addition? What was he aiming for? I see nothing beautiful or interesting about it, but maybe I need to be educated.

I will be happy to have a personal conversation about my feelings about the ISG. Just send me a private message. No need to clog the boards with an architect spewing design-speak.

cca

No need to clog the boards with an architect spewing design-speak.

Yes, we certainly wouldn't want any of that on this architecture discussion forum.

Yes, we certainly wouldn't want any of that on this BUILDING discussion forum.

Fixed above

Never seems to go well ... does it?

cca

I agree there isn't nearly enough architecture discussion on this forum since ablarc left but it would be nice to see that void filled.

I posted my thoughts on the Gardener HERE

cca

The museum is scheduled to reopen on November 16th of this year: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/blog/2014/03/12/harvard-art-museums-reopening/

harvard-art-museums-renovation-2.jpg

harvard-art-museums-renovation-4.jpg

harvard-art-museums-renovation-3.jpg

harvard-art-museums-renovation-1.jpg

That interior courtyard is incredible! I love the clear glass and tectonics that comprise the structure!! Definitely signature Piano. The outside is meh. It's definitely an introverted building.

The courtyard looks cool now, but I think I liked it better with the italianate 3rd floor and fake shingles

fogg+2.jpg

That was my favorite thing about the Fogg

Architizer picked up the new Renzo addition to the Harvard Art Museum.

Architizer said:
Step Into the Shiny, New Renzo Piano-Masterminded Harvard Art Museums
Daniel Rauchwerger

In an official first preview to the press since the beginning of its construction, Harvard Art Museums unveiled Monday their shiny new Renzo Piano Building Workshop-designed addition to its landmark building on Quincy Street in Cambridge, MA. The newly constructed facility, which will now combine all of Harvard University’s museums under one roof, has been undergoing extensive construction since January 2010. While much work is yet ahead with the building just now ready for the installation of the museum's artworks, it is due to open to the public this November...

http://architizer.com/blog/step-into-the-shiny-new-renzo-piano-masterminded-harvard-art-museums/

-- thx kz for the thread redirect

I'm a bit shocked to discover that as well.

Campbell's point is spot on - that too much is happening in too small a footprint which makes for awkward interior spaces and ghastly exterior massing. I can't help but imagine how good this could have been on a much larger parcel in Allston, where Piano would really have had room to maneuver. And, what an anchor for North Allston that would be.

With real wood and real granite this might look pretty good in a few years.
Well, maybe not good, but better.

The Vanderwarker photo in the Globe article shows the building in the best light (no pun intended). You get the variety of materials and the contrast of the naturalistic and geometric playing off each other successfully.

However, when you look at the new building as whole, the lack of windows penetrating the vast expanse of cedar siding makes it feel oppressive. I wonder if the lack of windows was due to the program being crammed into such a tight location and needing all the wall space, or if they just didn't want any natural light.

Back