For fans of the Organic

Wow.....cannot wait for some exhibits to open up!

Caught that the other day, KZ -- thanks for re-posting here.

Schaffer is a stunning home, and among Lautner's most Wrightian designs. It's always reminded me of a miniature version of Wright's Auldbrass Plantation in South Carolina.

$1.395 million.... and this is still on the market?

I don't understand! Beton - or anyone... - explain!

^ I read the article. That's complete bullroar. The whole point is that it's a retreat among the redwoods, and so for someone with the money it would be a very attractive exurban weekend home.

So, there must be something else at play. By this reckoning, Fallingwater would be worth pocket change.

If I owned it, I dunno if I'd ever leave.

Gehry claims the Schaffer was a huge influence on him -- the bare framing and corrugated metal are gestures that have become cliché in his work. Yet in these early Lautner homes, these same modest materials are so much more purposeful and (for want of a better term) organic.

I hope someone purchases and preserves the threatened Gantvoort Residence, another early house that puts industrial materials to novel use.

And introducing Rodney Walker.

The stunning home he built for his family in Ojai, CA begs the question: What if Lautner continued further in the language of his early work, as seen best in the sadly demolished Concannon Residence.

Last edited:
That Rodney Walker house is beautiful; almost feels like a greenhouse inside...a greenhouse one could comfortably inhabit, I might add, unlike so many MCM houses that look nice in pictures but are a practical pain in the ass to live with.

More photos of the Rodney Walker house. The vintage photos are particularly fascinating, in how they reveal the home's minimal structure.

Also, Schaffer is SOLD!

More Ma Yansong:

dezeen_MAD-unveils-Huangshan-Mountain-Village_4.jpg

dezeen_MAD-unveils-Huangshan-Mountain-Village_1.jpg

dezeen_MAD-unveils-Huangshan-Mountain-Village_7.jpg

dezeen_MAD-unveils-Huangshan-Mountain-Village_3.jpg

^ I haven't liked most of the stuff in this thread so far. Seemed like architects doing things for architects (which I'm not). This, however, is awesome. It really does fit in great with the surroundings. very cool.

More Lautner. He's dead almost 20 years...It's a shame he never received these accolades in his lifetime.

This thread's been quiet for a while, and I suppose I can take the blame for that.

Though Lautner's home for Bob & Delores Hope may never be perfect, this LA Times piece suggests that its new owner is pulling it closer to its creators' intentions. Well done, Helena!

This thread's been quiet for a while, and I suppose I can take the blame for that.

Though Lautner's home for Bob & Delores Hope may never be perfect, this LA Times piece suggests that its new owner is pulling it closer to its creators' intentions. Well done, Helena!

Holy crap. That is fuckin amazing. One of the coolest homes I’ve ever seen. Palm Everything is a godawful place of environmental rape and suburban sprawl. But I’d take that house, for sure.

Back