Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

4E6BXLhh.jpg
nice catch^

The Prudential master plan was updated a couple years back. None of these hypothetical skyscrapers are part of this and amending the "plan" would require significant negotiations. I wouldn't get too excited.

I completely agree. None of the heights I mentioned are politically possible. They are simply not impossible due to Logan height restrictions.

I knew this tower's curved-triangular cross-section reminded me of something specific...I just couldn't put my finger on it until now:

This thing looks exactly like the internal rotor of a rotary combustion engine.

Diagram_966e764b-1988-4a6f-a3ee-c52013f209c6_large.png

Interestingly, that's the one other shape aside from a circle that will roll fluidly (place a board on top of it with a cup of coffee, roll it, and you won't spill any coffee). Defined as the intersection of three circles. Has a bunch of other awesome properties too - see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle

Rotation_of_Reuleaux_triangle.gif

18mlevdqtxdsbjpg.jpg

Edit: shapes with similar properties can be constructed from any odd-sided polygon with curved sides... the Canadian Loonie with 11 sides, for example

Last edited:
or about halfway between a triangle and a circle to reach the required space/ floor/ economic viablity? :) .....As far as how it looks, doesn't its massing blow the doors off any criticism (unjust as that would be) of the curtain wall's blandness?

what a crazy dark skyline. recently back from frankfurt again and jesus wtf -- why can't we keep lights (even on the pru) on past midnight? i thought with the death of the blue laws that kept liquor stores closed on sundays (hi, we live in the 19th century around here) that shit would get more reasonable in this joint.

that said -- great pic and thanks for sharing.

i am not one of those people who want boston to become NYC/manhattan. i do want us to behave as if we are a fully functioning city that engages in 2018-timeframe lifestyle. this "air raid-dark" skyline stuff is absolute bullshit. very frustrating.

let the haters chime in on my uninformed comments.... now!

what a crazy dark skyline. recently back from frankfurt again and jesus wtf -- why can't we keep lights (even on the pru) on past midnight? i thought with the death of the blue laws that kept liquor stores closed on sundays (hi, we live in the 19th century around here) that shit would get more reasonable in this joint.

i am not one of those people who want boston to become NYC/manhattan. i do want us to behave as if we are a fully functioning city that engages in 2018-timeframe lifestyle. this "air raid-dark" skyline stuff is absolute bullshit. very frustrating.

Hater here I guess. Who cares, really? The interesting stuff is at ground level in the city not several hundred feet up.

I saw that, now 4 towers poking up amongst the trees as u approach rt 128

I saw that, now 4 towers poking up amongst the trees as u approach rt 128

Yup Hopefully 115 Winthrop will be visible too. Then there will be a pretty substantial skyline that you are able to view from pretty far away. Thats one of the few flaws imo with our geography is that there are a lot of hills surrounding the city so the skyline gets blocked very quick. Providence can even be seen from much further away than Boston can. I wish you could see it basically anywhere from Framingham over, that would be amazing, if the hills were lower you could because you can even see the skyline from a hill in Mendon which is near Worcester. Maybe one day well get a taller tower in the back bay which will make it so you can at least see that one tower from very far away. The hills are only so high and if you got a tall tower immediately the city would be visible from wayyyy further because as of now the hills are just high enough to block the skyline without going that far out unfortunately.

Think about it you can only just start to see the city when you get up to the rt 95 transfer by Wellesley/Needham. You should be able to see it much further out than that because the buildings look pretty big theyre just blocked by that hill that covers almost all of them but the very top. Lets get some dynamite lol and solve this once and for all.

Ha! was thinking the same thing on approach!

On a positive note, the core incl Cambridge/Somerville looks prodigious.

Add the approved projects + those in advanced planning stages. City is incredible.

In 4 or 5 years it's really going to be something.

1 Dalton replaces MT as 3rd tallest....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Boston#cite_note-98

Ha! was thinking the same thing on approach!

On a positive note, the core incl Cambridge/Somerville looks prodigious.

Add the approved projects + those in advanced planning stages. City is incredible.

In 4 or 5 years it's really going to be something.

1 Dalton replaces MT as 3rd tallest....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Boston#cite_note-98

Keep up the positivity. Thinking everythings too short and worrying too much is a waste of time because the city is what it is and we know how it works. Its a very unique city for American standards and should be embraced. The pedestrian scale is up there with other world class cities. This is the most important part of a city and we have the best in the US so these new towers are gonna help a lot to bring the skyline out of the 70s and into the 21st century.

Since we have this great ground level and the whole city limits are densely packed its definitely time to bring the skyline up to par. 1 dalton already looks incredible and when we have a great skyline to match our ground levelt it will be unmatched. Even short towers like that flat iron glass tower in Kenmore by the Citgo sign will be great. Not always about height, the aspect ratio there is great and its an amazing neighborhood already that will be greatly improved when the pike is covered too.

Back