Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

I just want to know. After all, the Pru was the very first skyscraper built in Boston.

I just want to know. After all, the Pru was the very first skyscraper built in Boston.

Maybe "modern" skyscrapper, but certainly not the first. As for height - it might be taller by a few feet, it might be shorter. No one knows. Also, chmeeee, I appreciated the facetious comment :)

20rYHCjh.jpg

Tall and slender...that's really cool!

But otherwise, isn't it just a little bit...boring?

Tall and slender...that's really cool!

But otherwise, isn't it just a little bit...boring?

For Boston? The fact that it doesn't have a square/rectangular cross section alone makes it unique.

Also not being clad in a mish-mash of random colors and textures is a plus.

it's right up there. it's nice that all (4) of our 200m's sing in such a wide range.....

some even compose.

I like the MT better.

There's nothing wrong with One Dalton, but nothing that stands out either (besides the height).

I like the MT better.

There's nothing wrong with One Dalton, but nothing that stands out either (besides the height).

i like a lot about MT very much, but the unfinished roof thing continues to take away from the overall positive impact for me (i come from the s shore pretty often, so it's hard for me to conveniently train myself to "forget" it or to convince myself it's not really noticable).

1 dalton *not* having that problem will be a big plus. i also think once the cladding is finished the vertical grooves will stand out a lot -- and the subtle, lit-up "four seasons tree" thing will be a classy touch. if any element of MT's crown was lit up, that'd shift the needle a lot.

...isn't it just a little bit...boring?

Possibly. It's a throwback to the pure forms of the 70s, and a sibling of the Hancock's geometry. It has a quiet dignity that's absent from much of contemporary architecture.

And surely a car guy like you appreciates a footprint like the rotor in a Wankel engine.

Dear God no

Well, okay. Sell me on something better. I'm game to listen.

I like the MT better.

For me, it's our tallest background building. Or as Toby asked:

Tall and slender...isn't it just a little bit...boring?

It's a very solid 4 out of 5. There isn't much for thoughtful detailing here (like every building going up today) but the constant curvature and unapologetic massing goes a long way to forgive any shortcomings.

And yes, Wankel rotary engine!

Given Boston's rogue's gallery of postmodernism, 111 is the top of the tree by a wide margin, a building Johnson/Burgee would be proud to call their own. That said, it's a bit to girthy -- another 15 floors and it would be a real winner, like its taller cousins in Houston, Atlanta, and LA.

Possibly. It's a throwback to the pure forms of the 70s, and a sibling of the Hancock's geometry. It has a quiet dignity that's absent from much of contemporary architecture.

And surely a car guy like you appreciates a footprint like the rotor in a Wankel engine.

Well, okay. Sell me on something better. I'm game to listen.

For me, it's our tallest background building. Or as Toby asked:

Agreed. The Hancock is incredible in its simple elegance. This is as well. The Hancock in its knife edges this in its subtle curves. The vertical lines are definitely going to add some interest to the all glass facade. At first I thought this was better shorter as a step down from the Pru. Now Ive come to appreciate our triple peaks. Its the perfect height because taller would have disrupted the balance. Our twin peaks were very elegant, but tri peaks looks even better. It adds more fullness to the back bay so its not just 2 towers. The 3rd really goes a long way to make it so its filled out and the 3 towers of similar height keeps the balance. Pretty cool on the pike how from Weston it went from 2 towers visible over the trees to 4 in 2 years too.

Our twin peaks were very elegant, but tri peaks looks even better. It adds more fullness to the back bay so its not just 2 towers. The 3rd really goes a long way to make it so its filled out and the 3 towers of similar height keeps the balance.

It gives more of a Minneapolis effect, except of course over there the 3 big towers are integrated directly into downtown and not basically an offshoot of it. Still, it's a real breath of fresh air to see some substantial visual changes around here. With the new development around North Station the main skyline is really pushing outward in multiple directions.

With the combination of such high quality glass, curves, a striking footprint shape, and vertical fins, this tower is turning out even more stunning than I could have hoped for.

Back