Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

i bumped it....

i f___ing bumped it

Whats up with the antenna on 1 Dalton? Was this just a rumor? Or are we going to wake up the day before the crane comes down to a new spire? Its either happening soon or its not happening.

It's a rumor that started because someone looked at the FAA filing for the project and it has a permanent antenna height structure in the filing... this could be several things:

1. Filed prematurely (as in we might do this someday, so we want to permit for it now).
2. Filed mistakenly (as in, it was the crane height and someone goofed)
3. Filed correctly but weirdly (perhaps if a structure is going to be up long enough it needs to be marked "permanent" regardless of whether it's actually temporary... that crane has been up near the top for quite a while so it's possible)

There's been zero confirmation of an antenna. It was not put through the BPDA process with an antenna. My opinion is there is no antenna and a few of our height crazy fetishes vastly over analyzed the filing.

Why would you need antenna on One Dalton when there already are antennas on the Pru? Because the Four Seasons condo owners and the hotel needs the rental income for the balance sheets?

Why was this conversation posted on Project X? The 1 Dalton thread is bumped daily, when not hourly. Stodgy, aB thread bump avoidance etiquette has run amok. :)

Your rights to ask a question on a specific project thread are under grave threat. The etiquette must never run over our freedoms as individuals to bump a thread if it poses no grave threat to the community.... The potential for the vast rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes.... We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the community interests and etiquette with our peaceful methods and goals, so that our security and liberty might prosper together.

Last edited:
i bumped it....

i f___ing bumped it

Why was this conversation posted on Project X? The 1 Dalton thread is bumped daily, when not hourly. The stodgy, aB thread bump avoidance etiquette has run amok. :)

Your rights to ask a question on a specific project thread are under grave threat. The etiquette must never run over our freedoms as individuals to bump a thread if it poses no grave threat to the community.... The potential for the vast rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes.... We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the community interests and etiquette with our peaceful methods and goals, so that our security and liberty might prosper together.

Ok.. but who tf cares lol?

The way the concrete behind the glass crown makes the crown lighter and creates a noticeable break and separation with the top from the rest of the tower, is perfection. Wow those last couple floors tied this whole thing together. This didnt come through in the renders, but man that is a nice touch.

The renders just showed the glass continuing uniformly all the way to the top. Giving the tower a proper crown just added a few points to the overall grade, making the tower even better than expected. This along with the deeper blue hue to the glass rather than the shiny lighter glass depicted in the renders is extraordinary. The deeper blue comes across as more serious and permanent imo. Very happy with how this turned out and the skyline is forever changed and improved. A+.

46391427844_fa16ac9d5a_b.jpg

Fresh pond?

Lol I got to the pic n then quoted it n asked so it sent me to the next page, skipping the alewife post... my bad everyone!!!

The way the concrete behind the glass crown makes the crown lighter and creates a noticeable break and separation with the top from the rest of the tower, is perfection. Wow those last couple floors tied this whole thing together. This didnt come through in the renders, but man that is a nice touch.

The renders just showed the glass continuing uniformly all the way to the top. Giving the tower a proper crown just added a few points to the overall grade, making the tower even better than expected. This along with the deeper blue hue to the glass rather than the shiny lighter glass depicted in the renders is extraordinary. The deeper blue comes across as more serious and permanent imo. Very happy with how this turned out and the skyline is forever changed and improved. A+.

I agree this is a great addition to the skyline and I do understand and see what you're saying about the variation in color when it reaches the very top, but we're talking SUBLTE variation here -- the average person walking or driving around Boston is not going to notice. In no way is it a "proper crown."

I think it is. It doesnt have a separate architectural crown, which it shouldnt, but the very top of the glass has ribs in it and then the line creates visual separation from the rest of the tower making it a distinct top, although understated. That slight variation in color is subtle, on an understated tower, but enough to notice its there, to me I think thats perfect. You wouldnt want a completely separate crown on a tower like this. I think this is the perfect way to separate the top from the rest of the tower, very subtly. The fact that it doesnt stick out a lot is a positive to me. For this tower I think this was the best way to do it. Thats my opinion, other people are free to theirs.

It is noticeable, even though its only a slight difference, but its there. To me thats great.

Last edited:
I'm with stick on this one -- I see One Dalton as a throw-back to the unadorned "pure forms" of the 70s, Portman's Peachtree Plaza, and Cobb's own Hancock Tower; indeed, this new tower combines the geometry of both.

^ Agreed, but I'm also considering Henry Cobb's inspiration and intent.

In my opinion, a crown of any sort on this building would be a jarring and disruptive afterthought, a toque painted onto the Mona Lisa.

yeah, we're talking semantics here. i'm in complete agreement that 1 dalton is a triumphant celebration of geometry and purity and all the rest and i also agree that a real crown would look very out of place on this thing. finally, i *also* agree that the subtle shade difference towards the top is quite nice. i just don't see any of it as being a "proper crown" is all.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the lighter shading on top and wish it was a bit darker. However, I will wait to see how it looks with the fully completed and occupied building. The glass will visually lighten somewhat once the residences are complete, plus there will be random windowshades that lighten those areas even more. At that point the top might blend in better. For now there are certain angles at certain times of day where the color difference is jarring.

As it has been said many times before, once they build out the interior the appearance of the glass may lighten..... but are we sure the lighter top is intentional?

cobb's been doing this for a while and hasn't had any semi-catestrophic surprises haunt any of his projects in over 40 years -- i think it's safe to say that any and every element of this building is intentional.

Back