Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

For aesthetics. The flat top doesn't look good, sorry.

I can't see too many spires and pointy tops going up if everybody can only build as high as FAA limits, especially with all the linkage and affordable housing payments that are required. Builders won't or can't afford to give up the square footage I'm guessing.

I can't see too many spires and pointy tops going up if everybody can only build as high as FAA limits, especially with all the linkage and affordable housing payments that are required. Builders won't or can't afford to give up the square footage I'm guessing.

Usually thats true, but not always because it depends on the area and what the limit is. Towers like the hub on causeway at north station for example knew they were never going to get 800ft approved, so they left a bunch of height on the table. In cases like that you have plenty of room for a spire. The office tower did even have a spire at one point before being redesigned again.

Then across the street from north station tower the faa limit is 850’ so the garden garage tower also has plenty of room for a spire. Any more towers built on the massive parking lot past north station tower have room for spires too, unless they can get something approved at an 850’ roof height.

Last edited:
The base/podium is truly a garish nightmare that doesn't transfer or communicate any of the language of the tower's facade. It's a horrible addition to the streetscape of the area. What a shame.

To be fair dalton st is a nothing street of garage entrances, podiums, blank walls, and general dead space. It was already a dead streetwall before 1 dalton ever came along. It would have been nice if it had improved the street in that aspect, but it definitely didnt make it worse. Dalton street is really more of a service alley than any kind of activated street.

The base and front door remind me of circa-2000 office building, sort of 111 Huntington or 1 Lincoln. Not cheap or anything, just a bit dated looking. Not that anyone staying there or living there will care...

The base/podium is truly a garish nightmare that doesn't transfer or communicate any of the language of the tower's facade. It's a horrible addition to the streetscape of the area. What a shame.

To be fair, this building has a tiny street wall footprint. It was never going to change Dalton Street's horrible character.

Also, the Christian Science lease for the property pretty much forbids any street level activation. It is not exactly the architect's fault.

Usually thats true, but not always because it depends on the area and what the limit is. Towers like the hub on causeway at north station for example knew they were never going to get 800ft approved, so they left a bunch of height on the table. In cases like that you have plenty of room for a spire. The office tower did even have a spire at one point before being redesigned again.

Then across the street from north station tower the faa limit is 850’ so the garden garage tower also has plenty of room for a spire. Any more towers built on the massive parking lot past north station tower have room for spires too, unless they can get something approved at an 850’ roof height.

Agree with all of this but you're going to be fighting the shadow and anti-height police automatically at 800ft. I don't see a developer putting in the same effort that went into Winthrop Square for that reason. NIMBY's would still oppose the project regardless of whether the extra height was leasable square footage or a half foot wide spire. Its irrational to be sure, but it also helps explain all the flat roofs even if not build up to FAA limits.

I thought the ground lease with the Christian Science Church includes clause prohibiting alcohol on the first floor. That might contribute to the design lacking activation.

I thought the ground lease with the Christian Science Church includes clause prohibiting alcohol on the first floor. That might contribute to the design lacking activation.

I believe you are correct. Four Seasons tend to be understated with respect to street interface.

Globe went on a tour.

Sales have been strong, Friedman said. He said most of One Dalton’s 165 condos have sold, but would not disclose how many. Most of the buyers, he said, are well-heeled Boston-area residents, refuting a common criticism that One Dalton is mainly for foreign investors. Of the three penthouses on the 61st — and highest — floor, two are under contract. That means one more person can buy those views. For about $40 million.

A few photos, nothing spectacular.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/06/07/million-view/1A2ee0CmET0hyO9TmsMl1K/story.html

Back