Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Good info but can this be discussed in the other thread specifically for the smaller building?

Kente -- Good Point -- apparently my above comment on pilings was copied to the other thread and subsequently then the comments have continued a-pace

Getting ready for a groundbreaking?

bVcnyS6.jpg

Getting ready for a groundbreaking?

bVcnyS6.jpg

By the looks of that, I'd say indeed.
The rest of us are more than ready already.

As much as I think Filene's is a much more important project for the city, this one will be much more exciting to watch go up.

Pushing height again finally, extending the Back Bay skyline, showing that major projects can get outside financing in Boston in no time these days.

Major league project for us.

I'm constantly blown away by how small of a footprint this tower is going on. It's wild.

This aerial view with people in it really gives a sense of scale.

I believe the tower footprint also includes the street in the foreground, if I recall the site plan correctly.

In terms of height I know this is supposed to be higher than MT, but is that counted from the ground? MT is on a bit of a hill so I wonder if these will be closer in height that way.

Now if we could just get the phantom Copley Tower off the ground.

Now if we could just get the phantom Copley Tower off the ground.

I'm hoping it pushes them to build rather than scares them away due to oversaturation fears.

If this thing gets under construction fast, and sells out in a time frame consistent with the recent crop, I'd have to assume Simon finally decides to strike while the iron is still piping.

In terms of height I know this is supposed to be higher than MT, but is that counted from the ground? MT is on a bit of a hill so I wonder if these will be closer in height that way.

Height is always measured from the ground, not sea level.

I believe the tower footprint also includes the street in the foreground, if I recall the site plan correctly.

If I remember correctly it only includes a small portion. The street will still exist but the garage ramp will be removed and the street will be thinned down somewhat.

Height is always measured from the ground, not sea level.

Well with a quick look at the USGS topo map, it looks like MT is about 47 ft above sea level, and Dalton is at right about 0. So the roofs may end up being very close in height.

I still cant believe we r seeing two 200+ meter skyscrapers get built, I thought this day would never come.

As much as I think Filene's is a much more important project for the city, this one will be much more exciting to watch go up.

More exciting to see a building that's slightly shorter than the one next to it, vs a building finally smashing the plateau of the financial district? Trust me I am super psyched about this one, but I would still pick MT as most exciting in a heartbeat.

This is going to be one expensive tent!

Who is the construction manager? If it was Suffolk, they'd have fences and their signs up already.

By the looks of that, I'd say indeed.
The rest of us are more than ready already.

Pushing height again finally, extending the Back Bay skyline, showing that major projects can get outside financing in Boston in no time these days.

Major league project for us.

Seamus -- the Herald reports today on the veritable flood of foreign $ pouring into Boston / Cambridge real estate

Foreign money floods Boston real estate market
International deals skyrocket in value

LET’S MAKE A DEAL: Foreign buyers are gobbling up Boston properties, including Atlantic Wharf.

Monday, January 12, 2015
By:
Donna Goodison
Foreign investment in Greater Boston real estate has skyrocketed to record heights, more than tripling in the past year and bringing new ownership to some of the area’s premier addresses.

Foreign buyers spent $4.2 billion in deals for office properties that included buyers from Canada, Norway, Japan, Chile, Switzerland, Ireland, the Netherlands, France, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore. That was up from $1.3 billion in 2013....

The proportion of foreign investment has nearly doubled in the past year: Foreign investors accounted for about 30 percent of the approximately $14.4 billion in real estate transactions that were $2.5 million or greater last year, excluding homes, according to Real Capital Analytics, a New York commercial real estate data firm. That’s up from about 16.5 percent of the $11.02 billion in 2013 transactions.

Almost half the money spent on office buildings in 2014 was by foreign investors, accounting for 46 percent of the $9.17 billion in deals — up from 27 percent in 2013.

Among the biggest were a September trifecta by Oxford Properties Group, the real estate arm of Canada’s Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System. Oxford snatched up three top addresses from Blackstone Group: 60 State St. for $817.49 million and 225 Franklin St. in Boston for $590 million, and Cambridge’s 1 Memorial Drive for $405 million, according to Real Capital.

In October, Norges Bank Investment Management, Norway’s sovereign wealth fund, paid $715.17 million to Boston Properties for 45 percent of 100 Federal St. and Atlantic Wharf in Boston. In July, Norges and MetLife had bought 1 Beacon St. in Boston for $562 million....

Boston’s booming economy and job creation in biotechnology, technology, health care, research, education and financial services make it attractive to foreign capital, said Riaz Cassum, senior managing director of HFF in Boston, which arranges debt and equity capital for commercial real estate owners, developers and operators.

“It’s viewed as a safe dollar-denominated investment,” he said. “It has a good diversified economy, low unemployment rate, strong barriers to entry, and Boston’s become more accessible just literally in terms of direct flights. ... It’s always been attractive to European investors, and now it’s expanding to the growing Asian and Middle East capital.”.....

I suspect that as a result of the "hunger" on the part of the foreign sovereign funds for safe $-based investments -- the right developer pitching the right project can literally get it financed over a fortnight

Seamus -- the Herald reports today on the veritable flood of foreign $ pouring into Boston / Cambridge real estate

I suspect that as a result of the "hunger" on the part of the foreign sovereign funds for safe $-based investments -- the right developer pitching the right project can literally get it financed over a fortnight

My suspicion is that Boston is only at the very beginning of a much larger boom. Boston/Cambridge are very well positioned in finance and medical technology... two industries which seemingly are always on the up and up (even when they're down). The next ten to fifteen years are going to be very interesting to watch.

My suspicion is that Boston is only at the very beginning of a much larger boom. Boston/Cambridge are very well positioned in finance and medical technology... two industries which seemingly are always on the up and up (even when they're down). The next ten to fifteen years are going to be very interesting to watch.

Meddle -- don't forget all of the others still in the nascent stage such as Nano, 3D printing, Big Data, Internet of Things, Real - Robots

Boston / Cambridge is Global Top 5 in all of the above

Sometime in the future when we look back at Boston / Cambridge innovation / leadership --- the late 1990's early 2000's are likely be in the same category of significance as the "legendary" eras of:

• 3. Charles River Mfg, -- invention of modern industry -- early 19th C
  • 4. Donald McKay -- Mr Watson Come Here.... -- BSO/MFA -- mid / late 19th C
  • [TBD] Mutual Funds -- early 20th C
  • [TBD] Rad Lab -- DEC -- mid 20th C

and just outside the [#2] "City on a Hill" and the [#1] Son's of Liberty

We are on a Global Leadership Roll

This is pretty far off topic but 60 State sold for almost one billion dollars? Damn, that's a big number for Boston!

Wow, givendors that it is only 38-40 stories, that is amazing. I don't think many buildings that size in NY or Chicago have even sold for that amount.

More exciting to see a building that's slightly shorter than the one next to it, vs a building finally smashing the plateau of the financial district? Trust me I am super psyched about this one, but I would still pick MT as most exciting in a heartbeat.
Some folks like pitchers duels, some like the long ball.
Or to be season appropriate. Some people like spreading 4 wide and empty backfields, and some like the power I and 5-2 defenses.

Part of the fun of this sport. The final product of MT will be head and shoulders above this in all But height. This one can be more flashy due to its visibility and views from far and near and multiple directions. A lot of MT will be obstructed from many directions and only when above a certain level will it become visible. Thankfully with the new found height of it, it will break the plateau much more than originally thought.

So for another sport analogy. Dalton is a 500 foot (yeah 700) moonshot that draws ooohs and aaahhhss. But, MT is 310 wrapped around pesky pole. They're both home runs, but Dalton had no one on base, and MT is the quintessential 3 run dingah.

Ok. Westy mode off.

Back