Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

@Datadyne, thanks for the info!

@CityLover, you may be right--I think I'm getting influenced by just how fast 30 Dalton went up.

I totally get where you are coming from though I have to keep reminding myself that this is moving at a normal speed for a project this size and I am just used to the smaller projects that go much faster.

Stellar I read a book on the geology of the Boston area a couple years ago and I remember reading that most of the Boston area has almost no bedrock near the surface because of the debris dumped after the last age and once you move a few miles inland the bedrock is much closer to the surface.

That's a long way to bedrock.

In Manhattan, bedrock south of 14th St is generally between 60 and 90 feet. From about 20th St to Central Park South, its generally under 30 feet.

Stellar -- Boston has bedrock but its typically a long way down -- Cambridge Argillite and Roxbury Puddingstone -- there are a few places where it outcrops such as Hammond Pond Parkway and Franklin Park

Typically the bedrock is covered with layers of marine clay, glacial till, freshwater silts and of course in many places like the Back Bay and the South End where the land used to be a freshwater marsh, salt water marsh or the bottom of a river or bay -- lots of fill was deposited about 150 years ago

see for example
http://written-in-stone-seen-throug...chitectural-geology-of-boston-roxbury_27.html
and
https://www.cityofboston.gov/parks/pdfs/os7a_text.pdf
Rox+towns.jpg

So the answer to where is the bedrock, etc. is it depends where you are -- and this is turn means unless you are willing to drill / dig 100+ ft you are likely putting your foundation on something other than rock

Had a conversation with a friendly construction worker tonight. Here are the highlights:

They have in fact done a substantial amount of work on this. Over $20 million worth and have finished most of the foundation.

Should break ground within a month from now.

Once it gets going, expect it to shoot up.

Best of all, he confirmed, TALLER THAN THE PRU!!! By this time next year we should have a new second tallest!!!!!

Had a conversation with a friendly construction worker tonight. Here are the highlights:

They have in fact done a substantial amount of work on this. Over $20 million worth and have finished most of the foundation.

Should break ground within a month from now.

Once it gets going, expect it to shoot up.

Best of all, he confirmed, TALLER THAN THE PRU!!! By this time next year we should have a new second tallest!!!!!

^It would seem that this may be true. Building height had been listed as 699' on most sites, but it's also been popping on more as going to 755' tall.

Thanks for getting the info for us DZ.. exciting stuff ahead.

^It would seem that this may be true. Building height had been listed as 699' on most sites, but it's also been popping on more as going to 755' tall.

I don't know enough about building economics, but why not just go balls out for a new tallest? At least they'd get the extra press and bragging rights for selling. Either way...looking forward to it!

That's due to people on this forum also being on other sites and getting the heights changed.

I don't know enough about building economics, but why not just go balls out for a new tallest? At least they'd get the extra press and bragging rights for selling. Either way...looking forward to it!

There may or may not be a ~100' spire, based on one of the FAA things. (can somebody please find it, I can't remember how to get into those links) So it may officially become a new tallest, although visually would be 2nd.

That's due to people on this forum also being on other sites and getting the heights changed.

There may or may not be a ~100' spire, based on one of the FAA things. (can somebody please find it, I can't remember how to get into those links) So it may officially become a new tallest, although visually would be 2nd.

IIRC, I believe we concluded that was the construction crane. 755' is the official height.

IIRC, I believe we concluded that was the construction crane. 755' is the official height.

Crane went over 900'. There's something else, it was like 856' or so, in case anybody has time to check.

Taller than the pru by 6'...

The pru will always look taller imo bc of its spire and position.

^^^Thanks for providing the original link. I found what I needed from there.

This: https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=206595303&row=7

I found it by searching the archives. If a spire, it would count in the official height. If a true antenna (ie has a purpose), it would not.

Given that it lists frequencies, I suspect it wouldn't be counted, but what really matters is how much it looks like part of the building. Given that we haven't seen it in renderings, I suspect that it won't be. Then again, looking at the Pru out my window, that antenna is pretty obvious from many miles away.

Given that it lists frequencies, I suspect it wouldn't be counted, but what really matters is how much it looks like part of the building. Given that we haven't seen it in renderings, I suspect that it won't be. Then again, looking at the Pru out my window, that antenna is pretty obvious from many miles away.

Equilibria -- I doubt that anyone will put antenna on 1 Dalton to compete with the Pru

The Pru is not only the tallest antenna on a building in Boston [about 900 ft -- although the free standing towers on Rt-128 in Needham are taller] -- but the Pru is also one of the most connected buildings anywhere with many fiber links coming and going

From 3/6 Won't be too visible from the Pru until it passes the Sheraton

Two of the three secant pile wall cranes have packed up and left. I saw one on a flatbed trailer today. Progress.

Is half of the site at ground level? It looks like it in the above pictures.

Back