Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

The Old Ugly Prudential should be torn down and replaced with a more modern 1200 foot Prudential building.

1. Dude.
2. Not sure if serious.
3. Find me some 700~800' towers built from roughly 1958 to 1970 that top the Prudential in an true and fair test of quality/longevity for that period of construction and cultural significance.
4. Still waiting.
5. FAA at the Pru tower is ~990' ish.
6. Never gonna happen. *The brick-face turds that surround the Pru could be replaced someday (i guess).

Not sure if it just needs to be cleaned or completely revamped but the Pru does look dirty and dull these days.

Each cluster of floors above each mech floor is 9 floors, the crown is 3. I wonder if they did a glass reclad if they could build out the top to be flush and add 6 more floors on top. I wonder if the structure could handle adding another 6 floors to form another cluster.

Then add a decorative crown on top of these floors and maybe a decorative spire with a radome covering it with the antennas inside like what 1wtc was supposed to do. Bring the decorative spire to 990’, decorative spires even if similar looking to an antenna count towards height like with 1wtc so we have a supertall and new tallest. The roof height would also be over 800ft with these 6 floors.

It would all be necessary too not a height gimmick. The 9 floors add office space to what wasnt there before. The glass reclad brings the building up to 21st century efficiency standards. On the new cluster you could take only the top floor for the restaurant, then put an outdoor observation deck on the top of the roof, with a glassed in section for elevators or weather. Then the antenna would reach the same height it does today just counted different if its an architectural spire, and it would keep its communications and antennas.

I like the PRU as is, but if they did some high quality glass and maybe even used metal on the outside of the glass to echo the original facade while improving the performance thatd be great. Using glass with aluminum panels like wtc3 in Beijing could be great if they made it mimick the Pru’s facade. I think thatd be a win.

This is a modern high efficiency facade designed to mimick older facades of the 70’s
PATRICK-SLOAN-ARCHITECT-BEIJING-WTC3-2.jpg

You could definitely use a facade like this to evoke the original Pru
PATRICK-SLOAN-ARCHITECT-BEIJING-WTC3-5.jpg

You could do a similar crown, light it, add antenna, boom done
f4e1f0b9c83eecaaa9868085d08e5aa0.jpg

Last edited:
why does JHT look like someone sunk the bottom 15~20 floors into the Back Bay muck??

Because that's its fattest angle, its base is obscured, and it's farther away than it looks. It's an optical illusion but you already knew that.

Is the antenna still going up? Id expect it to go up while the crane is still there. Are they installed last?

Drove in on the Pike around 6 - the entire tower including the crane is in darkness. Really odd.

Yep, I noticed that too. Pretty creepy. I went past around 9. It was like it had disappeared.

During the day anyway!! Never mind 'lit up...'

Visible rooftops (showing tower rooftops actually exist) aren't allowed after twilight hours in Boston.

PATRICK-SLOAN-ARCHITECT-BEIJING-WTC3-2.jpg

You could definitely use a facade like this to evoke the original Pru
PATRICK-SLOAN-ARCHITECT-BEIJING-WTC3-5.jpg

You could do a similar crown, light it, add antenna, boom done
f4e1f0b9c83eecaaa9868085d08e5aa0.jpg

So sad there is virtually no hope of getting even an ~870' version of this in Boston.

Back