Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Breaking: The final 4 panels of glass are on-site. They have packing slips on them that are in spanish and or another language - so the theory about multiple countries being involved in production is likely true.

Breaking: The final 4 panels of glass are on-site. They have packing slips on them that are in spanish and or another language - so the theory about multiple countries being involved in production is likely true.

It's not a theory. We already knew this. Here's an article from over 2 years ago.

"One Dalton will be clad in huge 12-foot glass panels, each of which are composed of three layers. The first, or outermost sheets, are tinted grey to provide the residences with naturally colored daylight and reduce glare from the sun. Plus, from the outside, the building won’t appear overly transparent, preserving privacy and maintaining the uniform character of the facade.

This grey glass, which is only produced in California, has to be shipped to Europe and combined with clear glass layers from Spain and Hungary before being shipped again to Toronto, Canada. There, the glass is installed into curtain wall frames, which act as the building’s non-structural covering. Then, the curtain walls are trucked to Boston for installation."

As pleased as I am that the tower is looking (more) complete, I am super angry at the state of the podium and lack of progress. My commute to my office from the easterly, South End side, to the BB/Fens, westerly side requires me to cross Belvidere/Dalton twice in about 300 yards, where there’s no pedestrian protections or markings. All because they keep tearing up the street.

A detour through FCCS complex doesn’t work, either, cause they have the Clearway Street passage closed. And, their guys yell at me if I try to use NEU’s Collonade sidewalk behind the loading docks. (The one sidewalk that appears open!) I can’t wait for this shit-show to be complete. They’re like, what, nearly two years behind schedule and still pissing about? Astounding. I’d love to see the penalties list for failure to deliver.

Fun tidbit I encountered, the 3D rendering of 1 Dalton is now placed on google maps (albeit with the plywood on the west face) and the construction service elevator on the northern face. Until recently, the site was represented by approximately ten floors (some clad in glass) and the large crane on-site.

Fun tidbit I encountered, the 3D rendering of 1 Dalton is now placed on google maps (albeit with the plywood on the west face) and the construction service elevator on the northern face. Until recently, the site was represented by approximately ten floors (some clad in glass) and the large crane on-site.
Google maps just updated for a good portion of the Boston area a month or so ago. It's pretty neat! Particularly great seeing Seaport filled in.
I wish the 3D portion had the time slider that the satellite view does in Google Earth.

Taken 8/8. Here are the final 2 remaining windows awaiting installation. Also, progress on the sidewalks. (Are these to be “heated sidewalks?”
A3B69CE7-FCE0-4B00-96FD-3BFF59B230A3.jpeg
E3936A30-F204-4C7A-87B8-72C091D52790.jpeg

Another great example of the ground level being the most important part of a tall building.

Back