Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: New tower at Christian Science Church Plaza

^ That's also why they changed the name; it used to be called the Midtown Motor Inn.

I know nothing about groundwater tables of how they are "recharged", but if its though natural soaking of water through the top soil down to them, is it possible to relay the plaza with pervious pavers to allow water to soak in as opposed to run-off?

I know nothing about groundwater tables of how they are "recharged", but if its though natural soaking of water through the top soil down to them, is it possible to relay the plaza with pervious pavers to allow water to soak in as opposed to run-off?

I've always wondered about this also. Does anyone have any technical knowledge about the groundwater issue?

Is the hotel that everyone is talking about that ultra-shit box hotel that is like 2 stories tall and should only be seen in a run down area of a rural area? If so, I remember walking by that hotel like 4 years ago when I was in college and thinking "I can't believe that hotel is located there!" and hoping someone would do something about it. If the Christian Science Church owns that plot too, why the heck wouldn't they just destroy that horrid hotel?!

It's definitely not a great-looking building, but it is (as far as I know) the only decent budget hotel that's so centrally located in the city. Area colleges put up visiting students there quite a bit. Tearing it down's a good idea, as long as a similarly budget hotel can be a part of what's put up in its place.

WHy would they invest in other areas when they own this?
Sorry, I was unclear. What I was getting at is that it seems like the plaza re-design is being instagated by the BRA, not the CS-ers. My issue is, why is the BRA instigating a re-design of one of the city's most successful out door spaces when there are so many others that actually need it?

Where do you get the impression that the BRA is driving this?

The Christian Science Church no longer occupies either the tower or colonnade buildings. The colonnade is now mostly Northeastern University. I'm not sure about the tower.

Ron, maybe I'm getting this wrong, but this line from the article made it seem like the project is being pushed by the BRA, not the CS-ers: ?The Boston Redevelopment Authority has asked us to start the public process and give an introduction to the church and not much more,? said Barbara Burley, senior manager at the First Church of Christ, Scientist. ?We have some ideas, but it?s premature to talk about them right now.?

^ That's also why they changed the name; it used to be called the Midtown Motor Inn.

Doesn't one of the signs on the exterior still say, "Midtown Motor Inn?"

I think this is one of the worst buildings in Boston (given the context). Just a personal observation.

You forget there is a garage under the plaza, not soil.

I've always wondered about this also. Does anyone have any technical knowledge about the groundwater issue?
The groundwater as we all know has been depleted in the back bay area due to the exstensive ground cover by roads, building, parking lots, and other non-permeable surfaces and structures. This has caused the natural water table in the area to drop significantly, and has led to structural damage to many existing, old, and very expensive properties. The piers that support many old structures in the back back area are wooden. Which would be fine if they continued to be in water saturated areas. However as the water table lowered, the piers began to dry out and rot. Thus peoples home began sinking and getting condemned.

Now, from what I understand, the city has mandated all new projects in the Back Bay are required to include groundwater recharge systems of some kind. The basic idea is to capture rainwater, and instead of directing it to a storm sewer to be sent off to a river somewhere, the system would run back into the soil utilizing permeable piping which would then deliver water back to the soil under paved areas.

Yes, providing permeable walkways and parking areas in lieu of hardscape is another means of delivering rain water back into the earth.

Not very technical, but I didn't feel like opening a book. This was incorporated into the plumbing design of the Clarendon, which is the only new building our office has worked on over that away. If the Copley Tower ever gets off the ground I suppose we'll do something there too.

Sorry, I was unclear. What I was getting at is that it seems like the plaza re-design is being instagated by the BRA, not the CS-ers. My issue is, why is the BRA instigating a re-design of one of the city's most successful out door spaces when there are so many others that actually need it?

Weren't there conditions involved in the initial FCCS development in the 70s that have recently expired, one of them being to develop a new master plan for the campus within X number of years of the expiration? One of the guys from Hunneman told me the church has some ideas, but the representatives Walz and Rushing have it in their head to somehow going to combine FCCS, Berklee and Turnpike CACs into one large CAC that addresses all three needs in a single two-hour meeting each month, and also advises Boston Properties on 888 Boylston (!!). I'd hold my cards close to my chest, too, until the Turnpike CAC is established as a third, separate group.

PS: New construction requires mitigation for groundwater, but there is an additional groundwater recharge requirement for renovations. It is a threshold, the same way ADA compliance is (dollars of improvement as a percent of value triggers it).

I suppose it would at that. Minor renovations do not require bringing things up to code, but once the imaginary line is crossed to become a substantial renovation, then you gotta catch on up.

When some of you refer to 'the park' do you mean the green space fronting Mass Ave? This would be my vote for prime developable space. It could have two significant structural elements on either end while leaving a view corridor to the front of the larger, newer cathedral. (A Rowes Wharf II? :))

I recall seeing a picture, maybe here, of the area before the demolition of the surrounding buildings. Having the church loom behind that expanse of green along Mass Ave actually diminishes it, and this perspective has always bothered me.

New Article in the Courant about potential plans being developed for the plaza. In short: CSS want about 1 million+ sq. feet in development. They may shrink the plaza and the reflecting pool (the latter to as little as 1/4 the size).

1 million+ sq feet is quite a lot isn't it? They should build on top of that school structure at the western end of the plaza.

Yeah, why would they want to build on top of their most recognizable feature? There's so much blight around it, they couldn't possibly find another spot that was economical?

Why can't they demolish the Midtown hotel and build on top of that?

And I thought the reflecting pool was an integral part of their HVAC system.

About the groundwater, all I would add is this, from the Boston Phoenix:

Groundwater levels are declining for several reasons, but one is the leaky MBTA system. Rainwater that should be staying in the ground is instead dripping into MBTA tunnels in the Back Bay, South End, and elsewhere, where it gets pumped away to keep the tracks dry.

So, instead of replenishing, the groundwater drops ? leaving exposed the wood pilings holding up the city?s buildings. Exposed wood rots. Rotted wood collapses.

Why can't they demolish the Midtown hotel and build on top of that?

And I thought the reflecting pool was an integral part of their HVAC system.

I know! And,

really? That would be very interesting to read about. Wikipedia time.

Back