Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: New tower at Christian Science Church Plaza

^ gaaah!

I love that reflecting pool. I'd hate to see them shrink it.

Cut lengthwise or across the middle?

Did anybody read that BRA PDF??? They are going to cut the Reflecting Pool in half, make it smaller, and pave over it. Seems like they are making problems that don't exist. Since when is the reflecting pool a "barrier" to enter the church?

No where in the PDF does it say this. They merely point out that the reflecting pool is a barrier and set up questions for future designs to answer.

The reflecting pool was part of the Pei design and is worthy of the high praise it receives. Still, the church believes that, as like a church and shit, the church should be the center of the campus.

Haven't been to the last 2 meetings, but I recall they want more connection between Huntington and the original Mother Church. That's the Gothic structure behind the dome addition fronting the Mass Ave lawn.

Includes a redesigned park beside the Sunday School building (or the building that replaces that) and a way to traverse directly to the Mother Church from the new Huntington Ave gateway.

One rendering showed a 2/3, 1/3 cut. I think another was a diagonal cutting approx from the garage entrance up to the side of the big church. They should be up somewhere (BRA?)

Worth noting that no matter what, the pool has to be emptied and rebuilt from scratch. It's leaked for years and the concrete is (apparently) spawling in places.

Edit to add: can't remember the ladies name, but she said they'd try to do it in a way that would preserve the sheet of water effect as much as possible. Not sure how that's accomplished, maybe by not emphasizing the cut except if you're standing on Huntington at the gateway?

Isn't the reflecting pool somehow part of the church's HVAC system?

Add me to the list of people who'd hate to see it messed with.

Put me on that list. You can hate on the modernism, you can hate on the concrete, but it is one of the best urban scaled open spaces in our city and a place I find one of the most romantic spots in our town.

This ain't city hall plaza. This space actually works. Please dont mess with it.

cca

Worth noting that no matter what, the pool has to be emptied and rebuilt from scratch.

I believe it's emptied every winter and refilled with water in the spring, as they don't want ice to form there.

I found a couple of old news articles that say the reflecting pool water is used by the adjoining colonnade building's air-conditioning system.

Last edited:

Edit to add: can't remember the ladies name, but she said they'd try to do it in a way that would preserve the sheet of water effect as much as possible. Not sure how that's accomplished, maybe by not emphasizing the cut except if you're standing on Huntington at the gateway?

The current pool borders do a good job of creating as visually seamless a barrier as possible, and if used in conjunction with a new pathway could make for an interesting sight when looking from the Mass Ave end (the vista I'd want least disturbed)... people apparently walking in/on top of water.

Having said that, I'm rooting for them to leave it alone.

...a place I find one of the most romantic spots in our town.

Me too. That and the Mass Ave. bridge at night are my two favorite spots to take the lady friend for a stroll.

sooooooo why hasn't anybody posted a pic of what this tower might look like? Pictures please.

Nobody's posted pictures because they haven't released pictures because it's still in the conceptual phase.

CSC.jpg

Site plans:

bostonccsc2009120site1.jpg

bostonccsc2009120site2.jpg

And the Midtown will survive as is?

Yes, the point is to preserve the crap and destroy the architectural masterpieces, therefore lowering the standards and allowing future development to be even crappier.

Sounds like the Berklee expansion plan that was also just posted. Thanks, Shadow Cabal at the BRA! Sure is great to know that one of the city's biggest industries -- real estate development -- is micromanaged by a mayoral plaything of dubious constitutionality and an open disregard for architecture and best practices in urban planning.

Wow, the one and only example of brutalism in Boston that actually works is being dabbled with, ane meanwhile the cement desert of City Hall Plaza endures. Now I've seen everything.

Anyone know if this land is city-owned? If not, I don't get why the BRA goes around plotting where there should be high-rises, unless they (i.e., the city, i.e., the taxpayers -- but that's another issue) control the land...

And the Midtown will survive as is?

In the model at the top of the page there's a much taller building where the Midtown is currently located.

Back