Gables Seaport (née Waterside Place 1B) | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

I too hate their first building, but am I the only person here who doesn't think this newest proposal looks half bad?

Too bad its the half that is visible. :)

So, that whole building is the new Waterside Place, phase 1-B? Where is the white Waterside Place in relation to this?

So, that whole building is the new Waterside Place, phase 1-B? Where is the white Waterside Place in relation to this?

Just to the left. You can see the T's elevator on the right side of phase1b.

I too hate their first building, but am I the only person here who doesn't think this newest proposal looks half bad?

It looks better than Phase 1A in my opinion. And both look better than that monstrosity around the corner (Park Lane).

^^^ Sooo true!!!!!

Do I need to adjust my television set? Is this like the blue/gold dress?

To me, this building is very clearly gray.

Just to the left. You can see the T's elevator on the right side of phase1b.

On first glance I thought that the left building in this render was the existing building. Not sure how this would work side by side with 1A.

I never disliked Park Lane. Its at the very edge of the developing seaport and its blandness seems fitting somehow.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...rt_tide_still_rising_with_21_story_tower_plan

The article also contains a picture of the white Waterside Place building in relation to the proposed addition of the second building.

Very interesting:

As for the original plan for 55,000 square feet of retail primarily slotted for a grocery store, Drew said he worked for a long time to lure chains including Stop & Shop, but adequate foot traffic was their concern.

“That’s still a problem,” he said. “We have to have more housing before it’s going to come.”

^^^
To that end - I am not sure how well are they doing with apartment leases in current building (still looks fairly dark in the evening), but even existing retail in the base of it is completely empty. If they can't lease even that, I don't know why supermarket would come....

^^^
To that end - I am not sure how well are they doing with apartment leases in current building (still looks fairly dark in the evening), but even existing retail in the base of it is completely empty. If they can't lease even that, I don't know why supermarket would come....

According to Drew, the current apartment leases are doing very well.

Boston Herald said:
The existing Waterside Place tower commands rents of $2,900 upward for one-bedrooms and $5,900 for three-bedrooms.

“It’s great,” Drew said. “We’re in the mid-90s (percentile) leased and occupied.”

BBJ said:
“Our first phase has done very, very well, and based upon the success of the first phase, we want to, in fact, add to it,” Drew said Wednesday in an interview. “I think it’s that simple.”

^^^

Smartiro -- I doubt that they would be hot to build more apartments if they were having trouble leasing their Phase 1A

A pleasant, welcome surprise and a strong vote of confidence in the health of the seaport.

Certainly very good news about apartments. Pretty impressive actually if true about 90th percentile.
Still, none of retail is leased, and they are adding more...

Retail will be the last piece to come together. I'm not surprised they haven't found a tenant yet especially because most of the seaport square activity is a ways away at this point and the other nearby development doesn't seem from what I have seen/heard to have as much activity as many stores would want.

Is there still a plan to build a full fledged supermarket in this area?

No innovation tenant was interested in the retail for Waterside Place Phase 1A. Drew talked to over 20 retailers interested, none qualified as innovation.

South Boston Community Health Center is interested in leasing 2300 sf of the 7000 sf of space previously designated as innovation space. They are still seeking an innovation tenant for the remaining 4700 sf.

APPROVED. The retail in Phase 1A (the one that is complete) will include a health center.

Being newish I was momentarily frightened by the renders of a shopping mall at the beginning of this thread. Now that I see what actually is being built here, yeah it's ugly but at least that mall didn't happen. That'd have been just tragic.

Welcome to the forum! You will come to find the people here are EXTREMELY well informed, somebody somewhere on this forum knows the answer to absolutely anything you can imagine no matter how small of a detail it is with regards to this city (literally you could post a picture of a cobblestone and somebody on this forum would know where it is located), are hard nosed, and most people will never be happy with ANYTHING being proposed or built here- but thats because we expect the best for this city. You are coming into the lions den with regards to architectural forums.

With regards to the mall I know most people actually very much preferred the mall to this current trash that was built here including myself and were at first happy to see the new design until it was built and then were very disappointed. I know I am not in the minority when I say that waterside place already needs a reclad.

Last edited:

Back