Gardner Museum Expansion | Fenway

Re: Gardner Museum to undertake $60 million expansion

They should just engage a high-powered detective agency to retrieve their Vermeer, and forget the whole thing.

Gardner was world-class when preserved in amber. Now it'll be just another art museum, with programs.

I'm glad someone agrees with me on this. I just don't see the point of this project.

The argument is that it needs to these new programs (and cafe and bigger gift shop!) in order to afford the continued upkeep and preservation of the museum and its works, but I remain skeptical. This seems to be born out of a 'bigger is always better' mindset.

^ Agree. Would rather see some provision for an ICA expansion (which looks impossible)

The real issue with the Gardner is that it was (is) an augenblick into an other time --as was the Morgan Library. Piano ruined that one, and he will ruin this one. Just get the damn Vermeer back and lapse back into eternal somnolence.

It would be pretty easy to maintain the Gardner more or less as is, though. Just keep the current entrance open and let patrons ignore the Piano addition if they so choose. The worst the addition would do, then, is take the pressure off the coat rack/cafe squatting in the entrance now.

I don't think the Morgan is lucky enough to have this option.

It would be pretty easy to maintain the Gardner more or less as is, though. Just keep the current entrance open and let patrons ignore the Piano addition if they so choose. The worst the addition would do, then, is take the pressure off the coat rack/cafe squatting in the entrance now.
If you must squander a few tens of millions, this is certainly an option. Just ignore that Starbucks-looking excrescence by staying in the quaint, Nineteenth Century front when you visit (and ignore the aroma of fresh coffee).

I don't think the Morgan is lucky enough to have this option.
The Morgan had any option it chose. It chose to have the charming Italiano-superstar seduce it into a complete betrayal of its essential charm, its claim on history.

Frank Lloyd Wright was even beyond Saarinen as a living cultural icon. If you've never watched his interviews with Mike Wallace they are very worth finding on the internet.....

I don't know the roots of architect as high profile cultural driver, but I know many were well known and regarded in their own contemporary society: Gropius, Stanford White, FL Olmsted are the first names that come to mind. Christopher Wren was knighted. Michaelangelo and Jefferson were obviously famous beyond just being architects..... Imhotep too.

Damn, architects have been rockstars forever i guess. I think Thag the Stonelifter was relatively under the radar though.

I remembered another at lunch: the great Slovenian architect Joze Plecnik was on that country's second highest currency note until they went Euro a few years ago. (The highest was a poet--what a place!)

Yawn...another glass and metal box...

The references to Richardson and FLW and Bernini...makes me yearn for a rebirth of craftsmanship in commercial architecture. Someone tell me it's not dead...anyone...anyone...

The Morgan had any option it chose. It chose to have the charming Italiano-superstar seduce it into a complete betrayal of its essential charm, its claim on history.
The charm of the Morgan Library was that it was a historical personage's house, untrammeled --not an institution.

That was destroyed by Piano in cahoots with that house's insensitive curators.

The charm of the Gardner Museum is that it is a historical personage's house, untrammeled --not an institution.

That will be destroyed next by Piano in cahoots with this house's insensitive curators.

(And in total contravention of Mrs. Gardner's specific written instructions.)

Empire builders, all.

Fie.

Can I nominate this for year's worst project?

This does real and permanent cultural damage.

How will it be harmed so terribly? You can't even see the new building from inside the Gardner...and it was a terribly cramped space

We have a new Boston Public Library next to the old one, and a new Cambridge Public Library next to the old one. What's wrong with a New Gardner next to the Old Gardner?

God, just like when Louis XIII's idiosyncratic Louvre Palace was ruined by those institutional glass pyramids! The McDonalds and Dan Brown novels are surely next.

It's always been an institution. This doesn't really make it any more so. I don't think Ms. Gardner envisioned all the crap that's been cluttered into the entry and can be cleared out now. It certainly makes the house feel more institutional than it needs to be, and will be restored with everything moved over to Piano's greenhouse.

ablarc said:
Can I nominate this for year's worst project?

Can I nominate this for year's best project?

You've got to be kidding me Ablarc. All you, and everyone else on here, do is complain about how Boston never gets a real work of 21st century architecture. And now that there is potential for something as BEAUTIFUL as Piano's Morgan Library addition, you're up in arms playing the part of the provincial preservationist!! I'm gonna stop taking anyone seriously on this forum pretty soon.

The main issue here is SPACE!! Have you been to the Gardner when it's crowded? I have, and I can tell you it's hot, stuffy, claustrophobic, and downright unpleasant...you can barely get in and out of the entrance! This addition is desperately needed if the Gardner wants to keep attracting people to see its marvelous collection, and I applaud the museum board for having the balls to say f**k you to all the "don't change anything" advocates and making a bold move to ensure that they continue to meet to cultural demands of this city.

Just in case you haven't noticed, this addition will RESTORE Gardner's palace to its original form. No more cafe, no more coatcheck, no more gift shop...I seriously doubt she envisioned those amenities in her home. It will only serve to increase the charm and intrigue of the palace, highlighting how stuck in time the building is by juxtaposing it with the unabashedly modern addition next door. Piano made sure that his building keeps a respectful distance from the palace and remains as unintrusive as possible. I can only imagine how surreal it must be to walk through that glass tunnel that literally carries you to a different era.

New concert venue, more modern amenities for one of Boston's most popular attractions, new 21st century building by a world-renowned architect...this is a win-win-win for the City of Boston, I don't know what the rest of you are smoking.

My mother collected art.

Twice a year she would throw parties for about sixty people each. The two parties were for different categories of acquaintances.

If she invited sixty people to a party, sixty would show up; nobody ever no-showed except if a relative had bought the farm. They couldn?t pass up the lobster canapes.

Everyone thought my folks were rich, because the house was full of art and gracious furniture. But my father worked for the government.

Little did anyone know that all the art came from flea markets or auctions. Having attended art school in Paris, my mother had a good eye; no matter how much she coveted a piece, she never bought it for more than ten cents on the dollar. ?Someday,? she often said to me, ?all this will be yours.?

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.

In the end, when the burglars struck, she had accumulated a Millet and a Renoir, a Kandinsky and a Chagall. The burglars took the 12-foot Renaissance tapestry of Saul threatening David, the enormous majolica jug with the inscription 1617, the Jacobean chair, and all the silver and Persian carpets. They even took my stamp collection with its prize mint broken-leg kangaroo and the penny black.

It?s hard to say when, but at some point my mother crossed a line. She became her art collection. That?s who she was. If Gabriel had asked her, ?Who are you?? she would have responded: ?Look about you.?

She never recovered from the big burglary; and naturally, she shortly died.

Having spent my early years with someone who possessed some of Mrs. Gardner?s traits, I?m quite certain that she wouldn?t have wanted Piano monkeying with her perfectly-arranged legacy to turn it into an institution.

That whirring sound is Isabella turning.

But it was "turned into an institution" the day it was incorporated as a non-profit and opened its doors to the public.

To me (and to my mother, for what it's worth), it was always a house. That was its delight.

To Isabella, it was something that could not be changed. She wrote that into her legacy's by-laws (bet you can find them on-line if they haven't been recently removed); and now the barbarians have broken her will.

If she could see it, she'd wonder why she bothered.

I agree with lexicon506. While the MFA, ICA, and Gardner projects are all controversial, generally at least they are indicative of a renewed vitality in Boston's visual cultural scene.

As to Gardner's will, that can of worms was opened decades ago. From the renovation of the fourth floor into functional office space (from functioning as the chief curator's apartment) to the addition of the gift shop, electrification, the Heist, etc., once the SJC allowed a non-literal construction of her will, that debate was settled forever. The SJC reiterated this finding in approving the current Gardner project, allowing the demolition of the carriage house and the loss of the connecting gardens (which I never visited, nor seen being used by anyone else). In talking about destroying the "idiosyncratic" character of the museum one must balance one's personal experience and history with the experience of the 21st century virgin visitor. Most of the visitors from out of town with whom I visit are confused: Why the poor lighting? Which painting is this? (Yes, I know they sell guides...). The purists may enjoy the set-up and character of the museum as it is, but if her will had been executed literally, they would be the ones complaining about the poor and awkward presentation. Who knows? Perhaps this addition will greatly improve the visitor experience on all levels...Either way, we know the Gardner Museum (and its Board) are still alive.

In sum, this is a rare and exciting gamble by potentially one of the great art collections in the United States. Let's not forget that fortune *usually* favors the bold.

Most of the visitors from out of town with whom I visit are confused: Why the poor lighting? Which painting is this? (Yes, I know they sell guides...).
Being one herself and being mentored by the great Berenson, Isabella aimed the presentation of her collection at the cognoscenti, not folks who need guide books.

An elitist concept, I know, but can't we let a little bit of that survive in our populist zeal?

And now that there is potential for something as BEAUTIFUL as Piano's Morgan Library addition, you're up in arms playing the part of the provincial preservationist!!
As a provincial preservationist, I visited the Morgan Library addition shortly after it opened, and found it quite humdrum. What it did, however, to Morgan's tenebrous house full of mystery and awe was scandalous: it completely negated it as an intact artefact of its time.

Back