Gender-Neutral Restrooms become law in Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that most heterosexual men, especially in this age bracket, won't have a problem with co-ed bathrooms. However, the majority of heterosexual women of any age group will have a problem with this scenario.

I wish the mods on this site were more ban happy. Get rid of these trolls.

I'll readily admit to not being the best arbiter of this sort of thing but did I miss something offensive or are you just not into differing opinions?

I apologize if this offends anyone, but could someone possibly explain the transgender movement?

I strongly believe that homosexuals should have every right that heterosexuals have. I mention this because I don't really understand how gay rights and transgender rights have been lumped together.

I also believe that confining a person to "gender roles" is largely nonsensical. I believe that if a man wants to wear lipstick and a dress to work he should have every right to do so.

I don't understand, however, what it means to "feel" like the opposite sex. I man can certainly identify with aspects of life that in the past have been considered more feminine, but aren't the definitions of male and female pretty clear cut? No one was born "wrong." We are who we are. Believing otherwise seems more like a mental problem than a physical problem.

Again, not trying to offend anyway, just trying to understand the rational.

Justin7 you are making a common mistake that is easy to make which is that you equate sex which is biological with gender which is a social identification. Sex is whether someone has two x chromosomes or an x and y. Gender is a social identity that is formed during a persons life and as such someone can be born a female but form a male gender identity and therefore see themselves as a male although their sex is female.

Transgender is actually a blanket term and covers everything from someone who wants to occasionally appear as the other sex to a person who goes through hormone replacement therapy and gets gender reassignment surgery.

Justin7 you are making a common mistake that is easy to make which is that you equate sex which is biological with gender which is a social identification. Sex is whether someone has two x chromosomes or an x and y. Gender is a social identity that is formed during a persons life and as such someone can be born a female but form a male gender identity and therefore see themselves as a male although their sex is female.

Transgender is actually a blanket term and covers everything from someone who wants to occasionally appear as the other sex to a person who goes through hormone replacement therapy and gets gender reassignment surgery.

Kudos for this response, man. Glad to hear other voices that are informed on this topic.

^That's common knowledge for anybody who's taken sociology 101 in college.

I love watching people flip out at removing Victorian era ideals that still persist in our society for no reason whatsoever. I'm pretty sure armpits is just afraid he is going to find out that women actually poop. Or see a tampon. The horror!

Unisex bathrooms are a waste of space and resources.

I love watching people flip out at removing Victorian era ideals that still persist in our society for no reason whatsoever. I'm pretty sure armpits is just afraid he is going to find out that women actually poop. Or see a tampon. The horror!

Unisex bathrooms are a waste of space and resources.

A) a very vocal minority of the population declaring that a cow is now a sheep won't make it so. For the entire duration of humanity's existence, gender has been (and is still) defined by biology. Truth is not "Victorian". It just is.

B) I cringe when my mother has to use the bathroom after one of my sons has been in there. We men aren't known for our classy bathroom habits. Civility and dignity are still virtues worth striving for - even (particularly) in a bathroom.

I agree with everything in your statement, except sociologists may disagree with you on this...

For the entire duration of humanity's existence, gender has been (and is still) defined by biology.

Gender is usually defined by a society, not biology. Look it up in any sociology 101 textbook and you'll see this.

We men aren't known for our classy bathroom habits.

Clearly you've never seen a public women's room. I had to take out the trash in a retail stores bathrooms one night. I didn't even touch the women's room -- it was fucking horrendous (and was always worse).

Really how does someone else having access to a bathroom that makes them more comfortable affect you? It clearly says this would be in addition to the "regular" bathrooms. How does this put you out? If it doesn't harm you but helps others why are you against it? This generally explains my opinions on social conservatives, why do you care?/ It is none of your business.

^first of all, it's a waste of money and adds on extra costs to the developer. Why do we need three bathrooms? What is wrong with the two we currently have? Why can't this small minority of transgendered folk suck it up for a year until they get their penis and nuts chopped off or get a penis sewn to their vagina and then enter the bathroom they feel more comfortable peeing in?

Really how does someone else having access to a bathroom that makes them more comfortable affect you? It clearly says this would be in addition to the "regular" bathrooms. How does this put you out? If it doesn't harm you but helps others why are you against it? This generally explains my opinions on social conservatives, why do you care?/ It is none of your business.

Actually, this does affect us in the public sphere. American society has determined that men and women should use separate restrooms and going against this is harmful because relieving oneself is a private matter and best done by gender segregation. I think it's funny that I'm arguing with a bunch of mostly heterosexual men (some are gay) who are between the ages of 18-29 and think our society needs a counter-culture movement to let women and men pee and poo together. What exactly is this going to accomplish? Absolutely nothing! It's catering to a small vocal minority of people who are angry they have to wait a year before they can chop their breasts or nuts off so they can pee in their room of choice.

Also, I need to add that heterosexual women are not cool with sharing public bathrooms with men.

^first of all, it's a waste of money and adds on extra costs to the developer. Why do we need three bathrooms? What is wrong with the two we currently have? Why can't this small minority of transgendered folk suck it up for a year until they get their penis and nuts chopped off or get a penis sewn to their vagina and then enter the bathroom they feel more comfortable peeing in?

Actually, this does affect us in the public sphere. American society has determined that men and women should use separate restrooms and going against this is harmful because relieving oneself is a private matter and best done by gender segregation. I think it's funny that I'm arguing with a bunch of mostly heterosexual men (some are gay) who are between the ages of 18-29 and think our society needs a counter-culture movement to let women and men pee and poo together. What exactly is this going to accomplish? Absolutely nothing! It's catering to a small vocal minority of people who are angry they have to wait a year before they can chop their breasts or nuts off so they can pee in their room of choice.

Also, I need to add that heterosexual women are not cool with sharing public bathrooms with men.

The last part of what you are saying would not happen... That has been explained so why do you say it again? also how much cost does adding one bathroom add, you don't even need to take more space, just split it off of the existing bathrooms. I know the current system works fine for you so you don't want to spend your tax dollars on a new one, but it doesn't work for all people and the cost is a minute fraction of a cent. You reimburse me for the war on drugs, the war on terror, the militarization of the police, and the subsidies for big business and then you can talk about costs like this. we all need to pay for things we don't like thats part of the deal where in return we get things we do like.

^hahahaha....typical liberal....trying to change the subject because you have been destroyed by facts! How does going to war relate with public bathroom compliance? Oh boy, I can't wait to hear what you liberal wackos tell us!!!!

^hahahaha....typical liberal....trying to change the subject because you have been destroyed by facts! How does going to war relate with public bathroom compliance?

Facts like how no heterosexual women would have to share bathrooms with men? Your "facts" seem to be contradicted by the truth so maybe they are.....lies (gasp). You brought up tax payer dollars so speaking about that is not changing the subject. Typical conservative trying to pin on liberals the same logical fallacies that conservatives always follow.

Facts like how no heterosexual women would have to share bathrooms with men? Your "facts" seem to be contradicted by the truth so maybe they are.....lies (gasp). You brought up tax payer dollars so speaking about that is not changing the subject. Typical conservative trying to pin on liberals the same logical fallacies that conservatives always follow.

No, you're a liar.

1. I never brought up tax dollars.
2. I said most heterosexual women don't want to share public bathrooms with men. Where did you get this notion of females being forced to pee and poo with their male counterparts?

I really think you need to turn off FOX news and re-read this entire thread so you look less like a space-cadet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back