General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | Necco St.| Fort Point

^ Right, that article and map are from late-March and are not accurate. BostInno tends to not be the best source for stuff like this. BBJ has the actual site map from P&G:

20z1evp.png

^ Right, that article and map are from late-March and are not accurate. BostInno tends to not be the best source for stuff like this. BBJ has the actual site map from P&G:

20z1evp.png

JumboBuc -- I've seen that hand drawing -- it looks fairly crude and preliminary:

There seems to be some discrepancy in the footprint depending on the source

What we know:

The 2.48 acres = 109120 sq ft including the two old brick warehouses

However, there seems to be more of the parking lot included than is shown

if you take the basic lot as square this translates into two perpendicular legs each 330.33 ft long

When I've applied Google Map's measuring function to get a combined 660 ft the foot print extends substantially further along the Fort Point Channel -- essentially to the end of the parking garage at the end of Necco St.

On the other hand -- taking Google Map and identifying the existing Channelside Parking with an address on A St. which seems to be the current lessee of the parking lot under the HQ footprint

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.349...M1GztGfAPm1pJl1AaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

you are viewing the HQ footprint from a point on Necco St. opposite the parking garage

...um, what? The hand drawing shows the proper lot, even if the footprint is theoretical. Why wouldn't it? That lot has an area of 2.25 acres, which lines up what has been reported.

...um, what? The hand drawing shows the proper lot, even if the footprint is theoretical. Why wouldn't it? That lot has an area of 2.25 acres, which lines up what has been reported.

Equilib -- go back to the satellite Google map from Bostoninno [which they claim was edited to remove an original error]

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/03/24/ge-permanent-location-for-boston-hq-details-timeline/
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zzjRyo6DfKwQ.k6FoWnKFRQS8

and compare it to the hand drawn map from the BBJ with the footprint of the new building [shown in yellow] and some layout of the landscaping shown in green

20z1evp.png

the had drawn map is cut off implying that there is more territory in the purchased land extending beyond the boundary of the hand drawn map

When you look at the Google image of the Channelside Parking Lot you are viewing the HQ footprint from a point on Necco St. opposite the parking garage
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.349...M1GztGfAPm1pJl1AaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

There is more land in both the Bostoninno and the BBJ “maps” which is behind the location of the camera in the photo

I’m sure that this matter will be clarified fairly soon when Gensler presents the first renders to the BRA

That map from Bostinno shows an area of over 8 acres according to the google map copy I made of there map every source reports a site of ~2.5 acres. There is no well maybe we will find out more and the site is bigger than we think or covers a different area than the "hand drawn" map.

Here is an image showing what I stated above.
iDzgrZz.png

This is the site I highlighted overlaid on the actual site (the darker area).
DYNVxiS.png

No it doesn't imply the site extends beyond the portion they show in the hand drawn map I see a blue dotted line showing GE's acquisition and a grey dotted line showing Gillette's property line.

That map from Bostinno shows an area of over 8 acres according to the google map copy I made of there map every source reports a site of ~2.5 acres. There is no well maybe we will find out more and the site is bigger than we think or covers a different area than the "hand drawn" map.

No it doesn't imply the site extends beyond the portion they show in the hand drawn map I see a blue dotted line showing GE's acquisition and a grey dotted line showing Gillette's property line.

City -- your analysis seems sound -- I think that the footprint issue originated with there being several pieces of property involved in the transaction, of which some were only partially transacted.

Thus the two existing buildings were probably individual properties with their own lot lines and, then there is the property currently leased to the operator of the Channelside Parking Lot. That property is obviously larger than the 1 to 2 acres remaining after you take the two old Necco Buildings lots out of the total 2.46 acres. So somewhere within that property there is a new lot boundary which from the satellite image and Google Map looks to extend about 300 feet along the Channel.

Presumably GE's gardner will be instructed to plant a small evergreen forest to separate the remaining sea of parking lots from GE Global HQ -- quite possibly the origin of the green on the BBJ map

Unfortunately, to resolve this -- we will just need to wait until the actual development package is filed with BRA [or someone inside can leak it]

Just noticed for the first time that the crayon site plan seems to show the alley between the two existing buildings being enclosed. Kind of a bummer - I love all the little alleys and side streets throughout the seaport.

Just noticed for the first time that the crayon site plan seems to show the alley between the two existing buildings being enclosed. Kind of a bummer - I love all the little alleys and side streets throughout the seaport.

American Folk -- I wouldn't draw too much from the crayon drawing ;)

I don't think that we are talking "gated community" here -- on the other hand GE will probably want to have some sort of connections amongst all the buildings in the 'Campus" "after security"

The two Necco Buildings have an old-style Gerbil Tube between them and in fact the building closer to the Channel connects with another old Necco Building across Necco Ct which is not part of the GE "Campus"

Let's see what Gensler comes up with for a first impression -- we are doing way too much speculation based on very small amount of verifiable information -- akin to the "Kremlinologists" devining the structure of the Soviet power structure based on the annual May Day Parade photo of who was standing next to whom on top of Lenin's Tomb

Doing some digging re Gensler and GE found a few other projects that they've done with GE

for example the Calgary GE Innovation Centre or perhaps Centre -- focused on the Energy Sector -- is located inside of a generic office tower on the 34th floor -- so Gensler only did interior work
project_ge-innovation-center_01_1024x576_1405723834_1024x576.jpg

05-oilsands-story02.jpg

for more information on this project
http://www.gensler.com/projects/ge-innovation-center

Not by Gensler -- but here's a recent GE corporate level facility called the Global Operations Center [essentially the back room for the Global Hq] -- but of course in this era of global communications the Global Operations Center is in Cincinnati Ohio

GE is accelerating the establishment of shared services to deliver better outcomes at lower cost for our businesses and customers. Called Global Operations, we are centralizing and simplifying these services to work smarter and more efficiently. Our team of experts at the U.S. Global Operations Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, spans many functions, including: Accounting, Finance, Communications, Customs, HR, IT, Legal, Logistics, Project Management, Supply Chain, & Enterprise Data Management. We apply our expertise to business processes to make them simple, fast and more reliable, enabling our colleagues to compete and win in the global marketplace.

anyway -- this is what that facility will look like when its completed
GE%20Banks%20--%20NE%20Elevation%20%28night%29%20-%20Copy.jpg

Note there's the see it from Mars logo :cool:

Nice find Whig.
Hopefully they'll build something a little more contextual in Fort Point.

Nice find Whig.
Hopefully they'll build something a little more contextual in Fort Point.

AmFoklk -- you'll note that the Cinci building is not by Gensler

But most importantly the Logo does seem to meet Jeff's Prime Directive -- aks "Logo visible from Mars"

Poll:

Which of the following best meets the Jeff Immelt's Criteria "GE Logo visible from Mars"

• 1)
    GE_signage_700.jpg

• 2)
    General-Electric-to-move-headquarters-to-Boston.jpg

• 3)
    ge-is-moving-its-hq-to-boston.jpg

• 4)
    920x920.jpg

• 5)
    images--1-_w600.jpg

Note that #5 may be available as it apparently sat atop a GE facility in Indiana since 1928 -- the facility is now closed and the sign is in the process of being removed to preserve it
After 88 years, future of General Electric sign hangs in the balance
Storm clouds break up behind the General Electric sign as the sun sets on the GE complex in November of 1998. (News-Sentinel file photo)

Constructed in 1928, the iconic General Electric sign at the GE complex on Broadway began coming down late last month. (By Justin Kenny of The News-Sentinel)

By Justin Kenny, jkenny@news-sentinel.com
Friday, April 08, 2016 12:01 AM
For 88 years, it stood proudly as one of the marquee landmarks of the Fort Wayne skyline.

Editorial Note: I have developed a good working relationship with a couple of top-level GE Corporate PR and Digital Media persons -- so this poll might actually have some effect

bring # 5 to Boston!

Poll:

Which of the following best meets the Jeff Immelt's Criteria "GE Logo visible from Mars"

• 1)
    GE_signage_700.jpg

• 2)

• 3)

• 4)
    920x920.jpg

• 5)
    images--1-_w600.jpg

Note that #5 may be available as it apparently sat atop a GE facility in Indiana since 1928 -- the facility is now closed and the sign is in the process of being removed to preserve it

Editorial Note: I have developed a good working relationship with a couple of top-level GE Corporate PR and Digital Media persons -- so this poll might actually have some effect

I like #5, although we can't see what it looks like lit. I like the colors of #1 and it would probably go well with the existing buildings that will be a part of the HQ. Would they just use an existing old frame and outfit it with new, higher tech ultra bright light to reflect the whole old mixed with new theme they seem to be going for with their image?

I like #5, although we can't see what it looks like lit.

m1105gesign_w540.jpg

It looks like numbers 2 and 5 from Whigh's post are the same sign

I nominate number 5 to be brought to Boston, restored to original specs, and displayed on the entrance area. (keep it all original-if possible-for historical reasons)....Then, I would design a new, updated display-representing the future-to be mounted on the southern side of the complex where it can be seen by northbound expressway travelers and from other vantage points. Perhaps a rotating globe with a GE logo, or something like that.

Poll:

• 1)
    GE_signage_700.jpg

• 2)

• 3)

• 4)
    920x920.jpg

• 5)
    images--1-_w600.jpg

They could also use the old GE logo on 30 Rock before Kabletown took it over...I wouldn't be surprised if they update the meatball logo and go with something more fresh and modern as part of a larger branding shift...I mean they sell hot sauce now.

Something combining the colors in 1 with the style in 5 would look best.

m1105gesign_w540.jpg

It looks like numbers 2 and 5 from Whigh's post are the same sign

JumboBuc -- I didn't think so at first -- But -- You may be right -- I found another view of the Fort Wayne sign [#5] it was taken during twilight

15106976199_041b53cf4e_b.jpg

compared to the daylight #5

images--1-_w600.jpg

There are some differences in the color of the General Electric -- however we don't know if GE did the Citgo thing and replaced the original neon tubing with LEDs -- nor do we know the vintages of the photos and the cameras and their settings

The two which are potentially available are the Logo from 30 Rock [not in the original list but shown below] and the much bigger Logo [#5] from Fort Wayne

for completenbess -- GE's sign @ 30 Rock -- Letters only no curvy logo
25ge-cityroom-blog480.jpg

and #6 from Schenectady area but different from #1 also in the Schenectady area
2B1lights_C_3_cols_wide_859273329112010_tx728_fsharpen.jpg

Last edited:

Back